Please confirm for me what a burnt atty is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godzilla

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2010
Northern California
www.foxyboxmods.com
I think I know the answer but here is what I have experienced.

These attys are genuine joye 510 regular resistance attys used on an ego, purchased from the most awesome company, cignot.

I remove the wick fibers just under the bridge which has improved my vaping incredibly well. But I am only getting a week or so out of each atty, and at that rate, I am better off using cartomizers, cost wise.

After a week or so, I am getting this burnt nasty taste. I tried dry burn (quick pulse until the atomizer glows) Now I am seeing a good glow down there. Still burnt taste, in fact my drip tip was impregnated with this burnt taste.

So I took the atty apart, and I found that the wick that runs inside the coil was burnt to a crisp, and it just crumbled in my hand in a fine grit of charcoal.

I am guessing this is what they call a burnt atty.

Am I just waiting too long before adding more drops during dripping? My attys are used only for dripping.

Thanks!

Another Puffer

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2010
U.S.
I've read that wicks are made with silica and will crumble anyway, sounds like gunk built up on the coil. I've had real good luck cleaning mine with vodka or grain alcohol. The burned carbon will stay there unless you break it up with some kind of solvent. I'm not 100%, but pretty sure that is the case. Once I get a burnt taste I stop using it and clean it with vodka and then burn off the excess vodka and it seems to work fine. Have used mine for three weeks now with no problems.

fiercemoose

ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2010
Fresno, CA
www.ecigology.com
I think I know the answer but here is what I have experienced.

These attys are genuine joye 510 regular resistance attys used on an ego, purchased from the most awesome company, cignot.

I remove the wick fibers just under the bridge which has improved my vaping incredibly well. But I am only getting a week or so out of each atty, and at that rate, I am better off using cartomizers, cost wise.

After a week or so, I am getting this burnt nasty taste. I tried dry burn (quick pulse until the atomizer glows) Now I am seeing a good glow down there. Still burnt taste, in fact my drip tip was impregnated with this burnt taste.

So I took the atty apart, and I found that the wick that runs inside the coil was burnt to a crisp, and it just crumbled in my hand in a fine grit of charcoal.

I am guessing this is what they call a burnt atty.

Am I just waiting too long before adding more drops during dripping? My attys are used only for dripping.

Thanks!

I may be misunderstanding your post, but you said you dewicked the atty, but then later said there was burnt wick on the coil... If it was dewicked there would be no wick to burn... Perhaps try dewicking an atty when you first get it and see how that goes for you.

Tdubya

Jul 30, 2010
TX
I drip as soon as the flavor begins to change. You'll notice a very slight burnt flavor, or just a general change. When you taste that it's time to drip again. There's no reason why your atties would only last a week. I used mine for about 8 weeks before it started to get really loose, where the brass housing holding the actual heating element would fall out of the metal sleeve. The atty still works, but I keep it as an emergency reserve. My next atty lasted just as long, but I thought I'd "clean" it using the dry burning method. That was the last day I used that atty because it always had a burnt taste. Usually, the burnt atty is one that always tastes burnt, no matter how much it's cleaned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread