Please do your research before buying from any supplier of e-juice. Some facts to consider...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffTM

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Chatsworth, CA
vaping is a relatively new idea, having only been around for a few years. It is extremely important to realize that some juices are made with little to no regulation and may be particularly harmful.

Ideally, make sure you buy juices from suppliers that use FDA approved FOOD-GRADE flavorings. These flavorings are known to be safe to ingest. Although little research (if any) has been done about the inhalation effects of these products, it is fairly reasonable to assume that they are safer to inhale than chemicals that have been shown to be unsafe for human consumption.

I know of a few companies that use a specific source of cheap flavorings which consist of fragrance chemicals. I can't mention these company names as it is generally unacceptable to do so on these forums. There are also companies which use diacetyl in their formulas. As I and many others have mentioned in other posts on these forums, diacetyl is a butter-flavored ingredient that is known to cause serious irreversible respiratory issues in people who inhale it in large amounts. Many of the more responsible e-juice vendors will advertise that their liquids are diacetyl free.

All in all, I care about the health of the entire vaping community. If e-cig users begin developing health issues by inhaling particularly unsafe vapor, it only makes it easier for the FDA to ban them, and rightfully so. By vaping responsibly and doing our research first, we can avoid causing easily preventable harm to ourselves and in turn, help our cause.

Dee74

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2010
Tampa Bay,Fl
I do agree that we must be aware of what our vendors are using as much as we can. The problems I am having I thought were related to PG, and switched to vg. It now appears it is certain flavorings as you mentioned are really at the root of my troubles. FDA approved means little if it causes a problem for you. the FDA has approved many things that have killed hundreds.
That said I think we can do much maligning of vendors plastering this diacetyl issue on every forum and sub forum. Vaping has little to no long term studies and we as smokers willingly did what we did for how many years and never worried so much about a few chemicals as we knew it would kill us. So lets get a little perspective here and if you feel it is too dangerous for you, quit.

WOW

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
CA
Thank-you.

I've been trying to say this all week!

I can hardly vape anymore. There's definitely a need for science to get the facts straight for the public before this becomes just another series of mini-BT companies killing people for $.

I'm going back to more proven safe methods of quitting. I feel as sick as the day I couldn't smoke another another analog.

Something is definitely wrong with this stuff.

NinetyNine

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Syracuse NY
I love a good diacetyl thread as much as the next guy, but PV's are not safe. They have never been put forward as safe by anyone reasonable. They're harm reduction, by an order of magnitude.

Diacetyl, while not a great idea to inhale, is present in analog smoke from what I've read, and therefore has been inhaled by smokers since forever.

My main issue with the repeat diacetyl threads is that they're focusing with laser precision on one chemical that appears to have to be present in concentrations 10's to 100's of times higher than what would be expected in PV vapor. If trace amounts of diacetyl were dangerous, there would be an epidemic of popcorn lung given the number of people who eat microwave popcorn and/or use butter flavored cooking spray.

NIOSH - Preventing Lung Disease in Workers Who Use or Make Flavorings - Publication No. 2004 - 110

Most chemicals used in flavorings have not been tested for respiratory toxicity via the inhalation route, and occupational exposure limits have been established for only a relatively small number of these chemicals. Although much remains unknown regarding the toxicity of flavoring-related chemicals, employers and workers can take steps to address working conditions and work practices that place workers at risk.

A reasonable assumption would be that it's safer to not inhale any untested chemicals, but, like I said, this is all about harm reduction, not total assurances of safety.

laurieok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2009
Ohio
seriously this is like the 3rd or 4th thread about diactyl from the same OP in less than 2 weeks if that....and it was old news when the first showed up...

really at this point the threads have pushed me toward not caring...

I totally agree Drozd!

Get a Grip People

If you are worried about it....DONT VAPE IT

If you are not worried about it....vape it

NinetyNine

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Syracuse NY
I'm not going to knock the OP as bad as you guys. He sees it as a serious issue and is attempting to alert people. I'd only disagree in the level of risk that vaping that particular chemical has, due to the lower concentrations and incredibly low number of cases of people who have had actual lung damage from diacetyl following exposure.

I'd also like to update my quote from the CDC site to point out that while there have been no great studies on the risks of inhaling flavoring agents, every time you smell vanilla or chocolate or strawberry scented room deodorizer, you're inhaling the same particulates that you are when vaping something made with those chemicals. I'd put it at low risk, for the most part, since places like Hershey, PA isn't a cancer cluster and it reeks of chocolate down there. No direct studies on the effects does not mean that nobody has been inhaling them before now.

JeffTM

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Chatsworth, CA
seriously this is like the 3rd or 4th thread about diactyl from the same OP in less than 2 weeks if that....and it was old news when the first showed up...

really at this point the threads have pushed me toward not caring...

Yes, I've posted a few threads on this topic. One is locked and one got closed as a duplicate post. So now I have the original one, which has turned into a string of personal attacks and speculative arguments about how bad diacetyl really is, and this one. I made this thread simply to encourage new vapers to check into what they're buying since there is evidence to suggest (not prove) that vaping certain chemicals can cause harm. Since many new vapers seem to have the false impression that vaping is surely 100% safe, I feel it's partly my responsibility as someone who's done a bit more research to let people know that that isn't necessarily true, and doing some searching might be a good idea.

I'm not saying anywhere that diacetyl is an evil chemical that will kill you and your family. I'm merely stating that there is some evidence that points towards certain chemicals being potentially dangerous, and that newbies should educate themselves.

Sdh

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
U.S.
Thanks for posting this information. I also have a problem with being allergic to different chemicals/flavoring smells. No one's fault. However, it is frustrating on my end. I have to order samples-then toss out if their perfume type smell makes me sick. I never felt sick smoking analogs. However, I do enjoy vaping but have to be carefull on who I buy from. I have been researching as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread