Please, don't vape where you can't smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love my ecig, I really do, but I don't vape anywhere smoking isn't allowed.

The other night at a restaurant, someone nearby had an ecig. This was the first one I had seen in the wild, other than my own. The restaurant was non smoking and it really freaked out a lot of the patrons. The manager or whomever came over, after complaints by customers, that he would need to go outside. His vaping was conspicuous.

Healthier than smoking or not, when vaping, it LOOKS like you're smoking and that's the issue for most non-smokers/non-vapers out there. I don't want these things drawing negative attention. A few people freaking out and poof, this ecig bubble could burst. Let's face it, laws get passed because of people who make a stink, laws like no smoking on the street in certain cities! I am really afraid the whole ecig issues is one Fox News story away from being banned because, 'it's so bad, the FDA won't even rate it a tobacco product'!. Really, think about it.

SO I say, be accommodating to those who don't know and don't vape where you can't smoke, unless it's really known in your area and in that establishment.

I went outside to vape with the guy who was asked to go outside to "smoke". He had some genericish looking ecig, I didn't ask. So I pull out my silver bullet 6v and have a vape with him.

His looked like a cigarette, was shaped like a cigarette and people thought it was a cigarette and that is, what I told him, part of the problem. There are a lot of people who hate smoking, yes hate. And what they hate even more is if they see somebody smoking in a place where smoking isn't allowed and doing so brazenly. It's not the same thing, but it's similar in a way to a toy gun. We know they're way safer than the real thing, but when in public, you don't pull out a toy gun and act like it's a real gun. It freaks people out.

So please, let's be overly considerate of those who don't know about ecigs and vaping. If you can't smoke there, don't vape there. Of course there are exceptions, but when there are people who look like they don't know how to use email (people who are more likely to call their congressmen and senators) refrain from conspicuous indoor public building vaping.

Agree or not, please consider the ramifications.

Thanks.

pianoguy

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
Apple Valley, MN
If I vape at all in a public place where smoking isn't allowed, I do it very discreetly. I agree that too many people who are uninformed would think it looks like smoking. I do have to say that stealth-vaping at Home Depot takes all the stress out of picking out tile, though ;-)

pudgey7

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Irving
call me crazy? but I don't care what they think.....they are only going by what they see! If anything it gives off a nice oder. I mean no disrespect to the creator of this topic! If vaping can't evolve in this society then it will be pushed out by the fda and all those that are offended by it. It is not smoking.....I don't want to be treated like one. just my two cents, carry on.

AJMoore

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2009
Here and back
PianoGuy, I get your post, HomeDepot is a very big place!

Pudgey7, I get you too but negative attention isn't good attention. I stealth vape everywhere I can and openly vape where permission is granted but I don't want to upset people that don't understand what it is I'm doing. I just don't see it being good for the cause in the long run. I do see your point though.

N00bx7

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Mississippi
Honestly I went through the same chain of thought about when or where to vape. Considering most of the population is still ignorant to the whole creation of an ecig..or mislead by our lovely media...it would be the best for everyone to use some discretion for now. It likely will be awhile before most people realize that vaping isnt smoking.

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    I agree and don't vape where smoking isn't allowed. I always think back to the only time I saw someone vaping. Of course I didn''t know anything about it or what it was. Young guy in the car next to me and I see this blue light and he is blowing 'smoke'. I thought it was some sort of illegal drug and worried that he was on the road with me, lol. I remember thinking "where is a cop when you need one." I am fairly open minded so it goes to show what uniformed people (the average person on the street when it comes to PVs) will think.

pudgey7

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2010
    Irving
    I think my mouth is bigger then I am. I am very careful as to where I vape, I have yet to ever have an issue.....I typically get a "wow, what's that, or why can't I smell that" I have never had someone approach me in a negative manner, until then I will keep my hot head! I just know my kids love that daddy doesn't smoke anymore.:p

SusanB

ECF Veteran
    Sep 17, 2009
    NY NY
    i refuse to go back to the dark ages of being banned outside in the snow, cold, rain with no shelter like I'm deseased....i vape discreetly so i don't freak people out... but i don't want uneducated people pushing me into the smokers class, that will only make it that much easier for people to ban it and look down upon vaping. if you act like there is something wrong with it....people will assume there IS something wrong with it. ...but i would tell people not to vape mounds of clouds in public....and stop buying e-cigs...that look like real cigs.

Last edited:

Skyler

ECF Veteran
    Nov 28, 2009
    Texas
    If I vape at all in a public place where smoking isn't allowed, I do it very discreetly. I agree that too many people who are uninformed would think it looks like smoking. I do have to say that stealth-vaping at Home Depot takes all the stress out of picking out tile, though ;-)

I agree. That place takes hours to find stuff and just drives you mad. A few puffs here and there is needed.

Kirothak

Feb 17, 2010
    Nebraska
    I dont vape in no smoking places either, but for a different reason.

It has nothing to do with if ppl like it or not, they can piss off I was tired of being treated like a 2nd class citizen while i was a smoker so you can bet i care very little about what ppl think now.

I dont vape where smoking is not allowed becuz i hate dealing with stupid ppl even more then i hate the 2nd class citizen treatment. vaping is a public no smoking place freaks ppl out then i have to explain to them what it is, and most of them will argue it and say stuff like "I can see the smoke" ect ect. lets face it dumb ppl are instantly scared of anything they dont know.

so avoid dealing with stupidity and dont vape in public no smoking areas!

mel_vin

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 26, 2010
    Toronto
    i refuse to go back to the dark ages of being banned outside in the snow, cold, rain with no shelter like im deseased....i vape discretly so i dont freak people out... but i dont want uneducated people pushing me into the smokers class, that will only make it that much easier for people to ban it and look down upon vaping. if you act like there is something wrong with it....people will assume there IS something wrong with it. ...but i would tell people not to vape mounds of clouds in public....and stop buying e-cigs...that look like real cigs.

I dont agree with you at all. Me, I want my e-cigs to look like normal cigs. Its my reminder of what I once did, and it helps me from going back to anologs. That works for me.

Second, smokers were banned for good reasons. For the health risks, smells, hygine etc. You can preach now that vaping is healthier and such, but I still think its a hygenic thing anway. I really dont want the vapor your exhaling floating arround me or any kids for that matter, even it is just vapor and it disapates. Its still a habbit, and an addiction to nicotine, feed it on your on time.

And if you have to be stealthy about it or make less vapor when you doing it to draw less attention to it, now that just even feels silly to type back. Get over it. Even as an ex/smoker, the world be came a better place when it was banned from indoors in the public.

Now on the flip side of that, I vote for brining back the smoking rooms that were closed off from the rest of the population. Vape to you hearts content there.

or giving the establishment the choice if they were to allow vaping there, and that its clearly marked labled as such, enter at your own risk type thing...

Last edited:

yanks21

ECF Veteran
    Feb 17, 2010
    New York
    i refuse to go back to the dark ages of being banned outside in the snow, cold, rain with no shelter like I'm deseased....i vape discreetly so i don't freak people out... but i don't want uneducated people pushing me into the smokers class, that will only make it that much easier for people to ban it and look down upon vaping. if you act like there is something wrong with it....people will assume there IS something wrong with it. ...but i would tell people not to vape mounds of clouds in public....and stop buying e-cigs...that look like real cigs.

What, Susan B. said

I would never be obnoxious about it.

Seriously, people you just KNOW these are eventually going to be banned indoors like regular cigs and NOT because there is any harm in "2nd hand vapor" but because managers are not going to want to deal with the uneducated screaming at them that someone is SMOKING IN HERE!!!! And they are appalled. :rolleyes: So I'm going to enjoy it while I can.

While there have not been any thorough studies on the effects of constantly inhaling PG there HAS been a study about being exposed to it.

Drozd

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 7, 2009
    NW Ohio

Susan I completely agree with you...I will not be pushed back into the dark...nor will I act like I have something to be ashamed of..nor will I be forced to stand with the smokers when I am not a smoker..I think that those that feel that we should hide our vape are hurting vaping for all and making it easier to affect a ban on us...

If I were a recovering alcoholic, would you ask me to hold your drink?....if not then why force a non/ or ex smoker in with the smokers?...
    If I can go into a store and be forced to choke on some old lady's cheap perfume she's swimming in...damn well believe if I feel like it or have a craving hit, I'm gonna vape openly there too..neither is illegal..but also believe that I'm ready to educate and argue my cause too..

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread