Please help me! I don’t think this is vapers tongue!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richjax

Jan 11, 2018
Hello everyone. This is my first post on here and I a on mobile so please forgive me if my etiquette and/ or formatting is not correct. After 13 years of smoking, I made the decision to quit on December 1st, 2017. I went to my local vape shop and got a Innokin t18 little vape pen. It was ok, used it for 2 weeks and realized I needed a lot more vapor and a lot more flavor. Purchased the smok t-priv kit, Loved the flavor, loved the vapor. For me it was good. I love the idea of having multiple setups to choose from so a Couple weeks later I got an aspire speeder kit, again loved it. Then I wanted something smaller and easier to carry around so I got a smok x8 (?) pen kit and I loved that as well. Fast forward to about a week ago, I needed to change coils on almost all my tanks, and as soon as I did so, I cannot taste any of my flavors (on any of my devices) I have never vaped a certain flavor for a long time, and already have a big collection of ejuice. I tried new coils, different flavors and flavor profiles, drinking plenty of water, going to the shop to make sure I installed everything correctly, even gave vaping a break for a couple days. I am close to tears because I was so happy with my first time vaping experience and now I can’t even taste anything. I broke down and even bought cigs. I want this change so bad but it is just not satisfying now. I don’t think this is vapors tongue. Please, if anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate them so much! Thanks for reading and putting up with this long post.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Sometimes new coils take a while to break in. With that said, it certainly COULD be vaper's tongue it's about the right time for it.

Why not try some of the remedies (lemon zest, smelling coffee, tongue scraper, smelling citrus, drinking more water, using biotene, etc.) and see what happens. You could get some unflavored e-liquid to vape as sometimes without the expectation of taste it's not as bad, and VG is mildly sweet in any case.

Honestly, if it is vaper's tongue, smoking isn't really going to help you. You'll have to shed all those new tastebuds you are currently damaging by smoking.

Why don't you think it could be vaper's tongue? I got it (about 3--4 weeks in) and it passed. I just kept vaping. For a while, I thought my coils (2 at the time) were dying and producing less flavor, but it really wasn't that, because I tasted it when they burned.

I know the flavor can be a big piece of things, but I'd be interesting in knowing why you DON'T think it's vapor's tongue. It sounds exactly like it, and possibly coincided with changing your coils but that doesn't MEAN it has to be the coils.

What types of juices are you using and at what wattages? I really would try some remedies for vaper's tongue the coil changes could just have been a coincidence? You could try a very strong menthol juice or something citrusy (if you don't vape those flavors) and cinnamon tends to be a strong flavor as well.

Best of luck, but really, if you want to vape and it's vapor's tongue, go grab some Nicorette or something for the next few days, don't resume smoking if you can avoid it.

Please do report back,

Anna

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Did you buy authentic replacement heads or knockoffs?
Did you properly prime the new heads?
If not there is a good possibility you scorched the wicking material closest to / surrounding the coil(s).
Prime by dripping drops of liquid on all exposed areas of wicking material until fully saturated, then fill tank thread together let sit for a few minutes. Then take a few unpowered primer puffs.
Always start off a new / unused head at a lower power setting & gradually work your way up over at least the first half tank.

Richjax

Jan 11, 2018
Did you buy authentic replacement heads or knockoffs?
Did you properly prime the new heads?
If not there is a good possibility you scorched the wicking material closest to / surrounding the coil(s).
Prime by dripping drops of liquid on all exposed areas of wicking material until fully saturated, then fill tank thread together let sit for a few minutes. Then take a few unpowered primer puffs.
Always start off a new / unused head at a lower power setting & gradually work your way up over at least the first half tank.
Yes, I did do all of that properly, but thanks for the advice!

Richjax

Jan 11, 2018
Sometimes new coils take a while to break in. With that said, it certainly COULD be vaper's tongue it's about the right time for it.

Why not try some of the remedies (lemon zest, smelling coffee, tongue scraper, smelling citrus, drinking more water, using biotene, etc.) and see what happens. You could get some unflavored e-liquid to vape as sometimes without the expectation of taste it's not as bad, and VG is mildly sweet in any case.

Honestly, if it is vaper's tongue, smoking isn't really going to help you. You'll have to shed all those new tastebuds you are currently damaging by smoking.

Why don't you think it could be vaper's tongue? I got it (about 3--4 weeks in) and it passed. I just kept vaping. For a while, I thought my coils (2 at the time) were dying and producing less flavor, but it really wasn't that, because I tasted it when they burned.

I know the flavor can be a big piece of things, but I'd be interesting in knowing why you DON'T think it's vapor's tongue. It sounds exactly like it, and possibly coincided with changing your coils but that doesn't MEAN it has to be the coils.

What types of juices are you using and at what wattages? I really would try some remedies for vaper's tongue the coil changes could just have been a coincidence? You could try a very strong menthol juice or something citrusy (if you don't vape those flavors) and cinnamon tends to be a strong flavor as well.

Best of luck, but really, if you want to vape and it's vapor's tongue, go grab some Nicorette or something for the next few days, don't resume smoking if you can avoid it.

Please do report back,

Anna
Hi, first of all, thank you! One reason I don’t think it’s vt is that a lot of definitions of the phrase say that it’s caused by vaping one flavor for too long and not tasting it anymore. I was switching up my flavors a lot... I started at 6mg nic so I have the air factory mystery flavor in a 6, as well as a naked100 menthol flavor In a 6 that I am currently vaping now bc someone else suggested menthol for a while. I have creamy flavors, fruity flavors, bakery flavors. This is just so upsetting! However I will try some of the remedies and hope it passes. Thanks again

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
Hi, first of all, thank you! One reason I don’t think it’s vt is that a lot of definitions of the phrase say that it’s caused by vaping one flavor for too long and not tasting it anymore. I was switching up my flavors a lot... I started at 6mg nic so I have the air factory mystery flavor in a 6, as well as a naked100 menthol flavor In a 6 that I am currently vaping now bc someone else suggested menthol for a while. I have creamy flavors, fruity flavors, bakery flavors. This is just so upsetting! However I will try some of the remedies and hope it passes. Thanks again

I think you're right about it not being vapor's tongue. I have 5 fruit flavours i'm vaping right now and I get vapor's tongue because they're all similar. I have to break it up with a creamy 6th flavour to get rid of it.

The only real variable here is the coils. I'd look into those first.

Otherwise I wonder if it could just be a general dulling of flavour. Sometimes I get this just from tasting things in general, too often. Kind of like how if you go on vacation and eat only spicy food, when you get back everything tastes bland.

When you eat food or drink, does it also taste dull? Have you tried going into a shop and testing their eliquids just to see if things taste 'right'?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Vapor's fatigue can come from vaping only one flavor for a long time.

When I got vapor's tongue, I was using multiple flavors and tanks. It was across the board. I really think it's a real possibility, so starting to use the remedies may help. Smoking will set you back, including your tastebuds. The reason I think it MAY be vapor's tongue is that it is happening about the right time.... Good luck and I hope you get it sorted out.

Anna

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
VT comes from exhausting your taste buds. If you chain vape non stop you can still get vt from multiple flavors. Try a few of the suggestions to see if they help. Don’t give up or get discouraged so easily. You are still new to vaping and it will take awhile to learn what works for common issues. New vaper's get vt more often than the people who have been vaping for awhile. Just one of those realities.

Richjax

Jan 11, 2018
I think you're right about it not being vapor's tongue. I have 5 fruit flavours i'm vaping right now and I get vapor's tongue because they're all similar. I have to break it up with a creamy 6th flavour to get rid of it.

The only real variable here is the coils. I'd look into those first.

Otherwise I wonder if it could just be a general dulling of flavour. Sometimes I get this just from tasting things in general, too often. Kind of like how if you go on vacation and eat only spicy food, when you get back everything tastes bland.

When you eat food or drink, does it also taste dull? Have you tried going into a shop and testing their eliquids just to see if things taste 'right'?
Thanks for your reply. Some other answers here say that vapors tongue can be caused by other things, not just the one flavor for too long. Hopefully that’s all it is. Also, I’m pretty sure it’s not the coils, as I have tried multiple new ones in all my devices. 95% sure I did everything right in regards to installing them. Food and drink still taste normal. Have not tried going to a shop to taste different flavors. Might be worth it though, so again, thanks for your reply!

Richjax

Jan 11, 2018
Vapor's fatigue can come from vaping only one flavor for a long time.

When I got vapor's tongue, I was using multiple flavors and tanks. It was across the board. I really think it's a real possibility, so starting to use the remedies may help. Smoking will set you back, including your tastebuds. The reason I think it MAY be vapor's tongue is that it is happening about the right time.... Good luck and I hope you get it sorted out.

Anna
Okay, that makes me feel better because like you I was using multiple devices and flavors. I wasn’t chain vaping but I’m really hoping it’s just vt! Thanks for your help, will keep you posted!

Richjax

Jan 11, 2018
VT comes from exhausting your taste buds. If you chain vape non stop you can still get vt from multiple flavors. Try a few of the suggestions to see if they help. Don’t give up or get discouraged so easily. You are still new to vaping and it will take awhile to learn what works for common issues. New vaper's get vt more often than the people who have been vaping for awhile. Just one of those realities.
I wasn’t chain vaping, but using different devices and juices. I will try some of the suggestions. I know I shouldn’t get discouraged so easily, but I’m an anxious person to begin with, and smoking is a big part of a smokers life in a way, so I was hoping vaping would take over that part, and I could turn it into a more healthy habit, along with a new hobby. Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
A list of symptoms when quitting tobacco and changing to an ecigarette

*snip*
'Vaper's Tongue'
Many vapers report that all e-liquids lose their flavor for a period. Another factor is the change in taste perception, mainly a loss of taste, caused by smoking, together with its return after tobacco cessation, followed by a period experienced by many when taste goes dead for a time during the first few months off cigarettes, even for those who have not used menthol. Vaper's Tongue soon passes. Some people give advice in how to speed up the return of taste, which can include methods such as vaping unflavored refills, using specific mouthwashes, and so on; but the sense of taste soon returns whatever is done or not done.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Welcome to ecf. I see you got some really good advice already so I won't repeat what has been said. One thing that has helped me with VT (and yes even after 7+ yrs it still happens on occasion) is gargling with warm salt water. Also helps to soothe a scratchy throat.

I am curious tho as to why you thought you had to buy cigarettes? Even if you aren't tasting your juice right now you are still getting the nic in your vape. Was it just a panic reaction? If so, what I did early in my journey was to buy that pack and put it in a drawer. I knew it was there and it acted like a safety net for me(YMMV) but it never got opened. I finally just tossed them out.

ECF has great members from all over the world to help you through those stressful times and of course to help you learn along the way. Don't be a stranger and congrats on deciding to make the switch to vaping.

:)

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hello everyone. This is my first post on here and I a on mobile so please forgive me if my etiquette and/ or formatting is not correct. After 13 years of smoking, I made the decision to quit on December 1st, 2017. I went to my local vape shop and got a Innokin t18 little vape pen. It was ok, used it for 2 weeks and realized I needed a lot more vapor and a lot more flavor. Purchased the smok t-priv kit, Loved the flavor, loved the vapor. For me it was good. I love the idea of having multiple setups to choose from so a Couple weeks later I got an aspire speeder kit, again loved it. Then I wanted something smaller and easier to carry around so I got a smok x8 (?) pen kit and I loved that as well. Fast forward to about a week ago, I needed to change coils on almost all my tanks, and as soon as I did so, I cannot taste any of my flavors (on any of my devices) I have never vaped a certain flavor for a long time, and already have a big collection of ejuice. I tried new coils, different flavors and flavor profiles, drinking plenty of water, going to the shop to make sure I installed everything correctly, even gave vaping a break for a couple days. I am close to tears because I was so happy with my first time vaping experience and now I can’t even taste anything. I broke down and even bought cigs. I want this change so bad but it is just not satisfying now. I don’t think this is vapors tongue. Please, if anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate them so much! Thanks for reading and putting up with this long post.
Welcome and glad you joined.
You have been vaping a little more than a month. The toxins from smoking will take time (time can vary from person to person) to dissipate and leave your system. What can you do now? Bits of croissant followed by a mouthful of distilled water, then spit out after swishing is said to refresh the pallet. Bread absorbs flavors, saltines can be used to stimulate taste buds back to normal. Malt vinegar mouthwash it's said to clean the palate, then vape right away.
Might like to read:
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...g-tobacco-and-changing-to-an-ecigarette.3305/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread