Please help me with rebuilding an RDA coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle&Ann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2013
Van Buren, Arkansas
I just replied to my own thread started a few days ago...decided to start a new thread hoping to get some help. Please let me know if I violated any forum rules and I will learn from the violation...

Ok...got my 28 awg Kanthal A1 wire and my wick material in today. Used the spreadsheet mentioned in this thread to make a few wicks. According to the spreadsheet, 8.8 cm of wire (single coil) should provide 1.8 ohm's.

Not even close. It has produced a coil with .6 ohms. I did not attempt to fire up the VAMO.

I increased the length of the wire to 10 cm & 13 cm. This also did not produce a usable ohm level. 13 cm produced a 1.0 ohm coil. This was not usable by the VAMO. Against better judgement, I tried to fire it up and it would not work.

What am I doing wrong?

gmb225

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2013
somerset ky
well to start u probably should be using 32g kanthal. what r we building a coil for? 8 to 10cm sounds like alot of wire. ive built coils for kanger protanks, rsst rba, and dual coil for the nimbus rda and dont think ive used more that 3cm for each maybe just a little. but 28g is for lower ohms. mostly. need info pics anything?

Kyle&Ann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2013
Van Buren, Arkansas
I have a Vamo and I am rebuilding a Smoktech RDA. Someone had given me a "calculator" and I am using it's recommendations. The calculator recommended 8.3 cm of 28 awg to achieve 1.8 ohms.

Yes...more coils when using longer lengths of wire.

Here is a question...does it matter if the coil wraps touch each other? I could really use some help...I am getting frustrated.

Jazzi Mike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2013
Michigan
It does matter. In the RBA forum, many people are using 'micro coils' in which they use like 10 wraps in a very small space that create less resistance.

Are you using the 4 lengths of silica like they are made for? One way you may increase your resistance is increasing wick size, so your wraps will be longer

Kyle&Ann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2013
Van Buren, Arkansas
rda rebuild.jpg

can post more if needed

XtianApi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2012
Tucker, Georgia
I do not know why your calculator is telling what it is, but just from looking at your picture, if I were to do that many wraps with 32 gauge kanthal wire, I would probably get 2.5 to 3.2 ohms, or something like that. If I were using 30 gauge wire, it would be Substantially lower, and with 28 gauge, it would be way lower still. If the 28 gauge is the only wire you have, I would forget the calculator for one try. I would wrap at least ten wraps, in the same amount of space as your picture, probably more like thirteen wraps. With that many wraps, the heat is spread out, so the coils can be very close together. Coils can touch lightly and not short out, because of the oxidation layer built up on the coil, but do your best to keep them separate. A lot of wraps can give you a very consistent, smooth vape, that can take a lot of power, without burning the juice. I'll keep an eye on the thread if you need help, but jazzi mike and gmb225 are right on the money. Good luck.

Vash

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2012
ethervapes.com

Kyle&Ann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2013
Van Buren, Arkansas
Check out this link http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/413000-rm2-rba-2-0-reomizer-2-rebuild-tutorial.html

Different RDA but same principal .Try wrapping a micro coil and you will be good to go.I just wrapped one for my wife on a A6 RDA and it vapes perfect and super easy to wrap if you do like link shows you :)

Dude...that freaking worked as far as omh output. It was super easy just like you said. I am using some new silica wick material I just received in the mail.

I am not getting much vape and it is lacking in taste. Could this be the new wick material?

Vash

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2012
ethervapes.com
Dude...that freaking worked as far as omh output. It was super easy just like you said. I am using some new silica wick material I just received in the mail.

I am not getting much vape and it is lacking in taste. Could this be the new wick material?
It might be cant say for sure since I only use cotton.You should run out quick and get some sterile cotton if you dont have any to make a wick :) Costs like few bucks for a bag and will make endless wicks :)

Also what voltage are you using it at and what is ohm of your new coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread