Please help! Mech mod and ohms law

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
To force a genuine, undamaged, Sony/Murata or Samsung or LG or Panasonic/Sanyo or Molicel battery to go into thermal runaway, it would either require you to cause a hard short or require you to push the battery really, REALLY hard. Many people are still confusing battery thermal runaway with battery venting.

I also am open to healthy/constructive discussions about how to mitigate these added risks, if enough people on here are willing to distantiate themselves from the classical old frantic taboo atmosphere that, seemingly perpetually in fact, revolves around this particular subject.
I agree with what you said above. Venting is more likely to occur than thermal runaway. But you seem to be implying that venting is not such a big deal. It is a big deal if your tube mech does not have adequate venting. Then the possibility of explosion increases exponentially, because the danger is not so much the battery exploding, but the mod itself exploding because there is no place for the gas to escape.

"Adequate venting" in a tube mech is a topic all its own. I've seen mechs that had vent holes in the battery cap, but upon further inspection there was no pathway for the gas to excape because of the design. Faux vent holes if you will. One must also consider that a hot battery may expand in diameter, or the shrink wrap will melt causing an obstruction for the gas to escape past the battery to a vent hole.

These are factors that a typical novice to a tube mech probably never thinks of. Know Your Gear.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Hawise

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
I agree with what you said above. Venting is more likely to occur than thermal runaway. But you seem to be implying that venting is not such a big deal. It is a big deal if your tube mech does not have adequate venting. Then the possibility of explosion increases exponentially.

"Adequate venting" in a tube mech is a topic all its own. I've seen mechs that had vent holes in the battery cap, but upon further inspection there was no pathway for the gas to excape because of the design. Faux vent holes if you will. One must also consider that a hot battery may expand in diameter, or the shrink wrap will melt causing an obstruction for the gas to escape past the battery to a vent hole.

These are factors that a typical novice to a tube mech probably never thinks of. Know Your Gear.

This is why I mentioned the Pulse BF is probably the safest mech you can start on, and why I favour squonkers in general.

I've had my doors fall off after a hearty fart.

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
I agree with what you said above. Venting is more likely to occur than thermal runaway. But you seem to be implying that venting is not such a big deal. It is a big deal if your tube mech does not have adequate venting. Then the possibility of explosion increases exponentially.

No, the simple fact thermal runaway is typically a much bigger deal than venting, doesn't in any way imply that venting can't have serious consequences. Like I already mentioned, the gas that escapes under high pressure from a venting battery is scorching hot, it is fairly toxic when inhaled, and the syrupy goop also is toxic. Further, while it is true the fact there exist mech mods that have no vent holes, I have seen regulated mods the battery compartment of which tears up the battery wraps potentially causing a hard short and thermal runaway, and I have seen regulated mods catch on fire during USB internal charging, so the fact you are now once again using mech mods for a scapegoat does seem to suggest you know less about battery safety than your average mech user does, and seems to suggest you never thought of this, AND, this is all still despite you have already been made clearly aware of this, in fact multiple times in the past. So don't go around telling anyone that you aren't severely biased about this particular subject. Because, everyone can see that you are.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
full

@dripster First of all, the original question and consequential discussion in this thread was on mechanical mods. I didn't mention anything about regulated mods in this thread as being safer than a mech, so why go there?

But since you did go there, I stand my ground that generally speaking a regulated mod does offer some protection that a typical tube mech mod does not. Most regulated mods will protect against over-current and low voltage of the battery. They can warn about using too low of a coil resistance or if there is a short in the atomizer, and appropriately refuse to fire. They have a timed battery cutoff if the fire button is pressed too long to prevent battery overdischarge. Your mech mods won't do that. Sure, electronic circuits can fail and should never be solely depended upon. But those safety features may prevent a catastrophe to an uneducated, novice, or otherwise careless vaper.

Having reread your post, maybe I was wrong to perceive that you were implying that venting was less dangerous than thermal runaway. My appologies if that is true.

Last edited:

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
full

First of all, the original question and consequential discussion in this thread was on mechanical mods. I didn't mention anything about regulated mods in this thread as being safer than a mech, so why go there?

But since you did go there, I stand my ground that generally speaking a regulated mod does offer some protection that a typical tube mech mod does not. Most regulated mods will protect against over-current and low voltage of the battery. They can warn about using too low of a coil resistance or if there is a short in the atomizer, and appropriately refuse to fire. They have a timed battery cutoff if the fire button is pressed too long to prevent battery overdischarge. Your mech mods won't do that. Sure, electronic circuits can fail and should never be solely depended upon. But those safety features may prevent a catastrophe to an uneducated, novice, or otherwise careless vaper.
Similarly, a tube mech mod does offer some protection that a typical regulated mod does not. Most tube mech mods will transfer heat from the battery to the outside surface of the body of the mod pretty fast thereby giving you, usually in a timely fashion, a clear and unambiguous warning sign that the battery is running hot, whereas the overheat protection of a typical regulated mod does not prevent the battery from overheating really dangerously, and, usually you can't feel that happening before it will be already too late to act appropriately. And then there's also the potential high risk of USB internal charging to also consider, which you conveniently seem to still continue to ignore, as was to be expected of course.

In addition, you cannot assume the built-in protections of a regulated mod will always work, yes, that is absolutely correct. It means you have to assume they will fail. But therein lies a big part of the problem because, most people, even if they are experienced, are NOT assuming that these protections will fail. The end result is a typical stubborn widespread false sense of security, which fundamentally is WORSE than a few people who don't seem to be aware that mech mods are advanced vaping devices intended to be used only by advanced vapers who are both truly knowledgeable enough and truly skilled enough that they righteously feel safer with a tube mech mod when compared to a regulated mod the built-in protections in which generally are made from Chinesium. So in answer to your question of "why go there", it's simply because going towards more safety is a good thing.

Reactions: Baditude

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
And then there's also the potential high risk of USB internal charging to also consider, which you conveniently seem to still continue to ignore, as was to be expected of course.
I wasn't ignoring USB charging. I can't say that I am a fan of it, but with an internal battery regulated mod it can't be avoided. I always recommend using a Li-ion charger for charging external batteries.

SMOK Stick X8 Lipo battery explosion

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
I wasn't ignoring USB charging. I can't say that I am a fan of it, but with an internal battery regulated mod it can't be avoided. I always recommend using a Li-ion charger for charging external batteries.

SMOK Stick X8 Lipo battery explosion

My point about that was most people aren't avoiding internal charging even if it can be avoided, nor even if they have been made aware of why they should avoid it. That purely is negligence, and, the vast majority of mech users are nowhere nearly as negligent as this, as mech users understand safety and they understand and accept the importance of safety, which is what's keeping them safer when compared to those who live in a bubble and who keep constantly denying the fact they don't understand how safety factually works. The fact mech mods don't let you do internal charging is an important safety feature inherent of mech mods, and yes you were completely selectively ignoring it with your deafening silence about it. This feature is truly 100% failsafe because, no matter how hard you keep trying to internally charge a mech, it still won't ever let you. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread