• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Please Pray For Our Son and His Ferret

Status
Not open for further replies.

justboringsarah

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
IN
Our oldest son is 10. When he was 6 he desperately wanted a ferret,we allowed him to have one and picked out a sweet baby. She ended up being ill from the very beginning and only lived for 2 weeks(15 days exactly)from when we brought her into our home. He was destroyed by her death and we promptly sought out to adopt another ferret.
We found 2 sweet boys that needed adopting,ie the other family didn't want them anymore. We were told they were 9 weeks and 18 months. Obviously the baby was a baby,but we came to find out the older,Smokey wasn't 18 months he was closer to 5 years old.
About 2 years ago Smokey started to get sick,and we found out he has insulinoma. At that time he was 7 years old and deemed too old for the surgery,so we started him on prednisone,that therapy has worked well for 2 years. Smokey is now about 9 years old(which is pretty old for a ferret)and the prednisone isn't working anymore. We are doing what we can to keep him happy and painfree for as long as possible,but it's not going to be much longer.
I'm asking anyone who has any spare prayers/good thoughts or anything to think of Ian and Smokey. Ian is the sweetest little boy you could ever meet and Smokey means the world to him and Smokey has been the best pet/friend we could have ever wished for.

ddracer

Sep 12, 2010
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Being animal loves here we are thinking of them both. It's really hard no matter what age you are. Last year I had to take my rat Smirnof to the vet to be put down. So there I was a 34 year old, 6' 1" rugby player type standing in the vets crying like a baby.

We have 2 parrots as well,them and the kids were the biggest factors in us switching to vaping.

Same here we have two Grey's (Charlie and Milo) two Chinchilla's (Chilli and Costa) one hampster (Fifi) and a chameleon (Google) as the number of pets grew smoking in the house wasn't fair on them.

justboringsarah

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
IN
Smokey seems to have perked up some in the last couple days. When I posted this,I did't think we had more then a week left. Ian has been handfeeding him to make sure he gets lots of good food,and letting him sleep in the bed. I feel bad because he is putting so much more into Smokey,and I worry that this will make the lost so much worse

vapour Dwarf

Jul 2, 2010
u.k.
my heart goes out to you and your son it's so hard dealing with this sort of thing no matter how old you are, the worse thing is your pets cannot really tell you what is up with them so it is so frustrating. my hamster has died today and i'm a 35 year old man but still i am devastated and have shed a tear over her. I hope all goes well for all of you, just make your pet as comfortable as possible and you will know youv'e done the best you can. I have no experience of helping children come to terms with this sort of thing and don't have any advice, I can only say that maybe you could somehow prepare your son for this in the best way so it won't be as painful for him. I hope all goes well.

trukinlady

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2010
Missouri, USA
I'm happy to say that Smokey is still with us and actually looks and feels better then when I wrote the OP. He continues to get extra love from Ian,and definately enjoys sleeping on the bed and getting all the TLC

I will keep Smokey and Ian in my prayers! I'm glad he's doing better!

akingsley9000

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2009
My thoughts are with your family and Smokey.

I had two ferrets and my brother had one. Insulinoma is unfortunately a very common problem for these little guys. It claimed both my male, Socks, and my brother's, Rocky. Both were on the predisone treatment and it did work for quite sometime. After my male passed away, my female was never the same. I firmly believe that she went into depression. She would no longer eat on her own and I had to force feed her everyday. She however was eventually diagnosed with a tumor and was told that she was too small to operate on so I had to have her put to sleep.

I completely understand what your son and your whole family are going through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread