Please remedy my confusion regarding Variable Voltage Kick vs Variable Wattage Kick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmh0t3p

Jul 9, 2013
Fargo, ND
I am planning on buying a Variable Voltage module to use with a mechanical mod (Nemesis), aw 18650 batt, rba (kayfun Lite) with resistance 1.8 Ohms or higher.

This would be a setup for my wife who has had experience with ego VV batts and she doesn't change the voltage very often, if at all.

My main concerns are
- Protection from a hard short
- Preventing discharge under recommended levels, so I know when to charge the battery

So, I thought a product like this ($8.37 Variable Voltage Kick Module for Mechanical Mod - 3.0V-5.0V at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping) would make most sense because she would get protection from a short and if I set the voltage to 3.7 V, she will know exactly when to charge it. To summarize, it will make the mechanical mod as safe as the vv devices.

Correct me if my theory is inaccurate.

But, I noticed it's Variable Wattage cousin is extremely popular ($8.33 Variable Wattage Kick Module for Mechanical Mod / PV - range: 5-12 watts at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping).

Shouldn't I be in more control of the voltage with the variable voltage module? What am I missing here?

I know it make sense to get a VV device for her rather than a mech mod but I am not too fond of the wear and tear of vv devices.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
They both are vv kicks. The watts kick varies the voltage to the resistance you're using. You set the watts to what you want and it adjusts the voltage. They basically do the same thing. Regulate voltage and provide short protection. Neither of these modules say weather the fuse resets after the short is corrected or if they are a one time use as in disposable. Maybe somebody will come alone that knows.

Xaiver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Clearwater, MN
Those are knockoffs of the Kick by Evolv. I happen to have a genuine, used it for about a year before it died. The genuine also has a short circuit protection, and you really just need to reset the contact to make it work again. I.E. remove the battery, put it back on, or give the device a little bump and it should go again. Honestly though, if you're spending the money on a real mod, and a real rebuildable, do yourself a favor and buy a real kick. The knock-offs are really just that, and they might work, and do their job for a while, but they're going to be lower quality in some aspect. I've never owned one of those knock offs, so I honestly couldn't say what could be different, but... Y'know.

The Kick by Evolv is variable wattage, there is a little dial on the top that you set to the preferred wattage, mine is ~8. The good part about this is that if I plug in a 1.0 ohm atty, it gives me 8 watts. If I plug in a 4 ohm atty, it'll give me 8 watts. I don't need to mess with the little dial ever, I just set it and forget it. You can google Ohm's Law if you'd like to know more, but the Wattage is basically the heat you're getting from the coil. The math for it is: Voltage * Voltage / Resistance(ohms) = Wattage

If she's used to an eGo, be aware that the Nemesis is going to be significantly larger and some people find it strange adjusting to a bigger PV. Also, because of the short circuit protection, I've discovered that the kick turns itself off a bit before it really needs to. My Silver Bullet with an 18650 and the kick would stop working and start being finicky a bit before my ProVari with a 18490 battery. The ProVari will run the battery down to 3.2v before it says "Hey, new battery please." The kick stops around 3.4v. Also, there isn't a way to check the voltage. If you take the battery out and meter it, it'll probably say 3.6 or 3.7, but you want to know the voltage under load....which you can't get without firing the mod. Ack, I'm rambling...

One more thing. I don't know how much you've done with rebuildable attys, but be aware that it's relatively difficult to hit your perfect resistance. Further, the resistance of the wire changes a bit as it is used. Between the first tank and the last tank, my wires sometimes go up .2-.4 ohms. Not a lot, but a VW mod would keep going right along with it, and you wouldn't notice...other than the taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread