Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Reactions: Cool_Breeze

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
The tobacco companies have been selling out smokers for six decades, and Philip Morris has been their ringleader. They let the anti-smokers get away with scientific fraud by falsely blaming smoking for diseases that are really caused by infection. This has been obvious to anyone who actually researches the subject, rather than just swallowing media disinformation, and rationalizing that big corporations would never sell out their customers and shareholders.

• Informative
Reactions: DC2

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
PMI to spend $1 Billion setting up anti-smoking foundation | vaping Post
The foundation will be led by Derek Yach, a former World Health Organization (WHO) official who was directly involved in the global tobacco treaty. Yach will speaking at a nicotine conference set to take place next Wednesday in which the foundation will be presented. During the same conference, director of the FDA’s Center for Tobacco Products Mitch Zeller, is set to speak about the agency’s new approach towards harm reduction.
Now that oughta be interesting.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Now that oughta be interesting.
I would imagine they are just as tired of the smear tactics as we are. They should also be just as interested in the truth as we are so funding some research seems in order. A foundation could fund population studies to find out how vapers are using existing products, how many end up quitting, etc. These are things not directly related to health effects issues that might concern the FDA.

How are the anti tobacco folks going to smear a tobacco company for doing this? It strengthens Gottlieb's position a lot. I bet the company hopes to make more money on lower risk (untaxed) products than they are making on combustible products.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I bet the company hopes to make more money on lower risk (untaxed) products than they are making on combustible products.
It's pretty much a sure thing that they hope for something like that.

However, if I were them, I'd not be counting on any "tobacco product" remaining untaxed for very long.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
It's pretty much a sure thing that they hope for something like that.

However, if I were them, I'd not be counting on any "tobacco product" remaining untaxed for very long.
I'm sure they have realistic hopes that taxes on lower riisk products can be avoided. The recent more supportive position of the FDA is a huge argument in favor of not taxing vape stuff. The new foundation is almost a way of saying thanks for that. Governments could make a lot of money taxing cholestrol and blood pressure meds. They are dirt cheap so there could be a few hundred percent tax and they would stlll be affordable. If a few people died, oh well. Cigarettes kill a lot more people. Governments are not troubled by that, right? These announcements from the tobacco industry and the Feds tend to put light on the hypocrites.

• Agree
Reactions: DC2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread