PnP Coils for VooPoo Drag S and Wattage Setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

VapingCigars

Nov 3, 2020
I bought a VooPoo Drag S approximately one-and-a-half months ago, and have been using it mainly on the wekends, during late afternoon/early evening enjoyment of a couple of beverages. I was a cigar smoker until recent dental implant surgery has put that vice on hold for a few months. My Drag S came with a PnP0.2 ohms and PnP0.3 ohms coil, and the person from the vape shop I bought my VooPoo put in the PnP0.2 ohm coil. The device has a wattage setting of 5W to 60W. I use only Naturally Extracted tobacco (NET) cigar blend e-liquid, 12mg from Black Note. This brings me to ask the group three questions:

1. What is the difference between the two coils?
2. I keep my wattage set to between 12W and 16W and the salesman from the vape shop recommended not going much above that. But why a lower wattage if it has an upper limit of almost three times that?
3. Regarding Mouth to Lung (MTL) and Direct to Lung (DTL), as the cigar smoker I was/am, I don't inhale into my lungs. I take a nice long drag just inside my mouth and slowly exhale, and an occasional French retrohale through the nostrils. Given this usage, what would be recommended for a coil, and wattage setting?

Thanks for the recommendations.

MLEJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2020
1. What is the difference between the two coils?
Not a lot. You can run the 0.2 Ohm coil at a higher wattage. Use 40-60 W with the 0.2 and 32-40 W with the 0.3. Both are for Direct Lung stye vaping with lower-nic liquids. You may notice a difference in flavor, or not.

2. I keep my wattage set to between 12W and 16W and the salesman from the vape shop recommended not going much above that. But why a lower wattage if it has an upper limit of almost three times that?
Different coils are rated for use at different wattage settings. A device's wattage range is what it can output; the coils determine what settings within that range are appropriate. Your preferences determine where you want to be within a coil's range. Going much above a coil's maximum rating will burn it out. Going much below a coil's minimum rating will give poor performance and will often lead to a pod or tank leaking because e-liquid isn't being vaporized efficiently.

3. Regarding Mouth to Lung (MTL) and Direct to Lung (DTL), as the cigar smoker I was/am, I don't inhale into my lungs. I take a nice long drag just inside my mouth and slowly exhale, and an occasional French retrohale through the nostrils. Given this usage, what would be recommended for a coil, and wattage setting?
You want higher Ohm coils at lower wattage settings. The 1.0 Ohm PnP-R2 coil or the 1.2 Ohm PnP-C1 coil should be better for you than the sub-Ohm coils you're using. Both the R2 & the C1 are rated for 10-15 W.

Good luck.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I think MTL is what you want--maybe half DL. I like .8Ω coils and I am an MTL vaper.

Maybe this chart will help you figure things out.

5uez3lz443y41.png

Last edited:

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I recently got the Argus Pro 80W pod mod which came with the VM1 and VM6 coils. Both coils vape really well giving great flavour and vapor. The VM1 minimum wattage is 32W and the VM6 is 60W. Both these coils I'm vaping at 10W and getting plenty of flavor/vapor. If I increase the wattage to half the minimum recommended I find it's too powerful for me.
    These coils perform great even at very low wattage.

MLEJ

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 14, 2020
    I recently got the Argus Pro 80W pod mod which came with the VM1 and VM6 coils. Both coils vape really well giving great flavour and vapor. The VM1 minimum wattage is 32W and the VM6 is 60W. Both these coils I'm vaping at 10W and getting plenty of flavor/vapor. If I increase the wattage to half the minimum recommended I find it's too powerful for me.
    These coils perform great even at very low wattage.
    Good to know. In my (admittedly, limited) experience, going much below a coil's minimum rating often results in to leaking. Maybe PnPs are better about that...?

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Good to know. In my (admittedly, limited) experience, going much below a coil's minimum rating often results in to leaking. Maybe PnPs are better about that...?
    You are right, some coils can be prown to suffer leakage more if vaped at lower wattage but I've not experienced leakage from the pnp coils yet.
    I do tend to release the fire button and carry on drawing for a split second to pull the juice through the coil.

Reactions: MLEJ

VapingCigars

Nov 3, 2020
    Thanks for all the updates and helpful information. As an update I replaced the 0.2 Ohm PnP coil that was installed in my Voopoo Drag S with the replacement coil that came in the kit, a 0.3 Ohm coil. Note that prior to this I had been experiencing some hotness/burn in the draw, but more importantly, leaking from the air flow adjustor. I also noticed that as soon as I put the 0.2 coil in, my Drag S automatically adjusted the wattage to 35 (I had it set to auto). That actually produced a good hit. Going forward, though, I must say that I'm still a bit confused on what coil to get with respect to nicotine level. The Cigar Blend I currently use from Black Note is 12 MG, and is available in an even higher content. And again, to follow up on my original post, I vape now to (temporarily) replace my cigar smoking. So I don't inhale into my lungs. I pull a healthy draw into my mouth and then slowly exhale, sometimes retrohaling through my nostrils. I don't want to vape something that tastes like candy, fruit, nothing sweet, or anything like that. Just something that kind of replicates smoking a good cigar.

Given this, some have recommended a PnP coil of 1.0 Ohm R2 or the 1.2 Ohm PnP C1. Both are only rated for between 10-15 W and that confuses me. My Drag S is ratted up to 60 W and I can adjust it down lower. Again, I don't utilize MTL or DTL, but do want a prodigious amount of vapor, and a good hit of nicotine. Is that what these two coils and wattage will give me? Thank you.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    You DO use MTL, just without the L. Any of the MTL coils should suit your style.

Your device is rated UP TO 60 watts, that doesn't mean you need to use 60 watts.

The higher the ohm of a coil, the lower the watts needed. Higher ohms equals less power.

Depending on your mix (PG/VG), you should get a good bit of vape even with the higher ohm coils, 12 mg is really high for nicotine if you're using a sub ohm coil (below 1 ohm).

Try the R1 coil and see where you stand. It's always a learning curve with vaping until you find your perfect spot.

• Agree
    Reactions: MLEJ

VapingCigars

Nov 3, 2020
    You DO use MTL, just without the L. Any of the MTL coils should suit your style.

Your device is rated UP TO 60 watts, that doesn't mean you need to use 60 watts.

The higher the ohm of a coil, the lower the watts needed. Higher ohms equals less power.

Depending on your mix (PG/VG), you should get a good bit of vape even with the higher ohm coils, 12 mg is really high for nicotine if you're using a sub ohm coil (below 1 ohm).

Try the R1 coil and see where you stand. It's always a learning curve with vaping until you find your perfect spot.
    Thanks for your helpful information. Actually I just ordered some e-liquid from the UK, that is NET from cigars. And I ordered them in both 15 and 19 mg of nicotine. So since that is a high nicotine content, I will try coils that aren't sub ohm.

And by the way, thanks for the refresher on electric current vis a vis watts and ohms. I actually took electrical repair as a vocational school student in high school. But Ohm's Law is something I forgot. :)

MLEJ

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 14, 2020
    Thanks for your helpful information. Actually I just ordered some e-liquid from the UK, that is NET from cigars. And I ordered them in both 15 and 19 mg of nicotine. So since that is a high nicotine content, I will try coils that aren't sub ohm.

And by the way, thanks for the refresher on electric current vis a vis watts and ohms. I actually took electrical repair as a vocational school student in high school. But Ohm's Law is something I forgot. :)
    One more little bit for you: i'm not familiar with the Drag S but it probably has adjustable airflow. Based on your vaping style as you describe it, you'll probably want to start with your airflow less than fully open. Suggest starting with more closed than open and opening it up until you find what's right for you.

VapingCigars

Nov 3, 2020
    One more little bit for you: i'm not familiar with the Drag S but it probably has adjustable airflow. Based on your vaping style as you describe it, you'll probably want to start with your airflow less than fully open. Suggest starting with more closed than open and opening it up until you find what's right for you.
    Yes, that's exactly what I do, move the airflow control more to the closed position, and then experiment with that and wattage until I get the hit I want. Sometimes a higher wattage will produce a hot(ter) draw, so I'll scale it down, or open the air flow up a bit more. I'm learning! That aside, would you personally recommend another pod system besides the Voopoo Drag S, given my vaping style?

Reactions: Izan and MLEJ

MLEJ

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 14, 2020
    would you personally recommend another pod system besides the Voopoo Drag S, given my vaping style?
    The Drag series is well-regarded. If your Drag is working for you, no reason to change.

If you're going to continue vaping after you're okay to go back to cigars, you'll want to get more devices. Any kit with MTL coils available for it and with adjustable airflow could be good for you, keeping in mind that they're intended mostly for cigarette smokers.

VapingCigars

Nov 3, 2020
    The VM1 .3ohm is a higher flow coil. You want one with a more restricted flow. I would suggest the VM4 .6 ohm. Compare the inner diameter of the 2.

The VM1 im using right now hits hard at just 33watts unless its wide open.
    Why would I want a more restricted flow? I'm not disputing your recommendation, but I am trying to understand why I would want a tighter draw. That would be like a cigar that was wrapped too tight and one has to draw extra hard to get anything. Plus I can control airflow with the PnP MTL pods I am using.

VapingCigars

Nov 3, 2020
    UPDATE: i bought a pack of PnP-R2(1.0 Ohm) and two PnP MTL pods, but instead of the wide, short reservoir tip that came with my Voopoo Drag S, these are longer, slender tips. I like them better. As for the new coils they work pretty good. I am trying different cigar NET liquids I bought from a company in the UK. I'm thinking of also ordering the VooPoo PnP-VM4 0.6ohm EvilGrin suggested. I currently have the VM1 .3ohm he is using as well, as that was one of the two coils that came with my Drag S, the other being the VM1 .2 OHM.

Last edited:

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    In my experience if the cigars u do are kinda thick then u don't need very restricted airflow and not need an mtl coil...
    As I see the coils on the voopoo website they have mouth to lung coils and direct lung coils but also some for restricted direct lung...
    Considering that u don't want a tight draw but u don't want a fully airy draw I guess what u want it's a loose mouth to lung draw to feel like puffin a cigar...soo u need instantly lot of vapor...
    Seems like the coils for you would be the

Pnp-m2
    0.6ohm 20-28watt (this may be mesh coil?)

Pnp-vm3
    0.45ohm 25-35watt

Pnp-vm4
    0.6ohm 20-28watt

Coils besides vapor production also have the the hole that air passes and can restrict your airflow even if u open it fully.......I don't know how thick cigars u smoke or how u smoke them but I think one of those coils are better for u cause they are not veeery airy but not very tight...
    So u can fine tune the airflow with those...

I don't know the different of the 0.6ohm coils tho maybe one is mesh and other is with simple wire??? I would try all of those tho

Edit...i checked the coils now they are all mesh coil except the mtl ones....the 2 0.6coils only show that are both mesh and the difference is the nicotine percentage they suggest u to vape them....that's odd...never say suggesting nic strength for a coil...maybe one is producing more vapor even tho they are both same resistance Soo they suggest having less nicotine so it won't hit hard....
    Instresting...

Many options tho for the drag series

Last edited:

VapingCigars

Nov 3, 2020
    In my experience if the cigars u do are kinda thick then u don't need very restricted airflow and not need an mtl coil...
    I have a fairly big cigar collection, but most of them are between 52 to 60 gauge rings, and I lean towards the bigger ring gauge.
    As I see the coils on the voopoo website they have mouth to lung coils and direct lung coils but also some for restricted direct lung...
    Considering that u don't want a tight draw but u don't want a fully airy draw I guess what u want it's a loose mouth to lung draw to feel like puffin a cigar...soo u need instantly lot of vapor...
    That is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. Like cigars, I DON'T inhale when vaping.
    Seems like the coils for you would be the

Pnp-m2
    0.6ohm 20-28watt (this may be mesh coil?)

Pnp-vm3
    0.45ohm 25-35watt

Pnp-vm4
    0.6ohm 20-28watt
    Hmm, wish I could order each one of these as a single, so I don't possibly waste money on several each.
    Coils besides vapor production also have the the hole that air passes and can restrict your airflow even if u open it fully.......I don't know how thick cigars u smoke or how u smoke them but I think one of those coils are better for u cause they are not veeery airy but not very tight...
    So u can fine tune the airflow with those...
    That sounds perfect!

I don't know the different of the 0.6ohm coils tho maybe one is mesh and other is with simple wire??? I would try all of those tho

Edit...i checked the coils now they are all mesh coil except the mtl ones....the 2 0.6coils only show that are both mesh and the difference is the nicotine percentage they suggest u to vape them....that's odd...never say suggesting nic strength for a coil...maybe one is producing more vapor even tho they are both same resistance Soo they suggest having less nicotine so it won't hit hard....
    I need to figure out how the nicotine level plays into the type of atomizer being used. My juices have nicotine levels of 12, 15, and 20.
    Instresting...

Many options tho for the drag series

VapingCigars

Nov 3, 2020
    The Drag series is well-regarded. If your Drag is working for you, no reason to change.

If you're going to continue vaping after you're okay to go back to cigars, you'll want to get more devices. Any kit with MTL coils available for it and with adjustable airflow could be good for you, keeping in mind that they're intended mostly for cigarette smokers.
    One of the features of my Drag S I really like, is the automatic detection feature of the coil. Since the Drag S is rated from 5 to 60 watts, it will default to an optimum setting based on the coil. When I replaced the 0.2 Ohm coil with the 0.3, the wattage was set to 35. Using another pod, and using the R2 coil, it automatically set wattage to 12. I like it that, but also I like the R2 coil. Just wondering if I should try other coils. Someone responded in this discussion and suggested using Pnp-m2, Pnp-vm3, or Pnp-vm4. I'm curious how those could differ from the 0.3 and R2 coils.

MLEJ

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 14, 2020
    Someone responded in this discussion and suggested using Pnp-m2, Pnp-vm3, or Pnp-vm4. I'm curious how those could differ from the 0.3 and R2 coils.
    When a manufacturer has different coils that have the same Ohm rating, they're probably made of a different metal (KA1, NI80, etc.) or are of a different style (straight, mesh, dual, etc.). Those things affect flavor & vapor production. None are necessarily better than others. You just try different ones to find what you like best. With PnPs, Rs are regular single coils, Ms & VMs are mesh coils. The specs -- but not the type of metals -- are here (click the down arrows): INNOVATIVE TECH-VOOPOO VAPE Spark Your Moments

• Useful
    Reactions: Superuser187
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread