Pod mods & throat hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

My Batt Hurts

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2017
UK
Hi -

I recently dipped into the pod mod thing and it's going well. They're pretty impressive and give a decent vape - good enough that my box mods are seeing less of the outside world.

One thing I've noticed is that I tend to ramp up the nicotine for a pleasing throat hit. I appreciate that they're low powered devices, but I find that 36mg freebase just about cuts it on the Vladdin and Infinix - for example. I use PG heavy liquids, but it feels as though my MTL tanks (on low power) hit as hard with half the nic.

Perhaps it's not surprising, but I'm keen to know if anyone else has found this?

Thanks.

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
Nah its me to. I usually do 12 in tanks. I only have the minifit for now. Have the spryte and novo on order. I started ramping up my nic to 18 on the minifit but its still not enough.
Very interesting topic for me as I was thinking of asking the same question...should I just keep upping the nic?...don't really want to go the salts way unless I have to, as I have a huge stash of freebase lying around.

Reactions: stols001

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
Throat hit is just irritation. The throat hit from the smoke of a burning cigarette is very different than the throat hit from vaping. For vaping, the chemical irritant is the solvent as well as the nicotine. A low power device that produces less vapor (less chemical irritant) is going to produce less throat hit.

The effect of nicotine as a drug is not related to throat hit. If the amount of nicotine is satisfactory then you shouldn't increase the concentration just to get a throat hit. That's increasing your drug intake. Not good, in my opinion. Instead, try increasing the PG or use a different nicotine. There are different formulations of salt nicotine that are available. For example, Nicotine River sells "smooth" and "hit" versions of salt nicotine for DIY liquid. There are also differences among brands. For example, the liquid from Mr Salt E has minimal hit compared to the liquid from SaltNic.

When I first switched to vaping from smoking, throat hit was important. But it is so artificial and the hit from vaping is not like the hit from inhaling smoke. What worked best for me is to substitute the cooling effect of menthol or koolada in place of throat hit. For those who don't like the taste of menthol, koolada is a great alternative since it has no flavor but produces the same cooling sensation. You can add koolada to any flavor to give it a chill without the taste of menthol. You can give it a slight chill or add more to make it more icy if you prefer. The cooling effect was very important for my satisfaction from vaping and a big reason that I was able to quit cigarettes.

And by focusing only on nicotine concentration, I was able to decrease my nicotine over time. I decreased my nicotine intake by 50% and then decreased it again by another 50%. My goal is stop using nicotine and then stop vaping.

Last edited:

My Batt Hurts

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2017
UK
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm keen to stop chain vaping - I'm conscious of the way it looks and I didn't smoke that way. Higher nic seems to equal fewer puffs and if I can meter things out, I hope to avoid overdoing it.

When vaping, I've never noticed the 'buzz' that occasionally came from a cigarette. All it can deliver (for me) is throat hit. I don't use flavours, so there's nothing else.

It probably just depends on the device - I don't do this to the same extent with the Spryte, for example (@Fredman1 it's quite good, btw), since it's a little more powerful.

But many thanks for the suggestions. For now, I have a keep-it-simple mindset, and plain liquid is just less 'stuff'. I guess it's only one way of seeing it, though. Nic salts are off my radar - there's no throat hit to remind you of what you're doing. It just seems riskier.

To stop vaping is a good goal, if a long term one for me (although let's see how the likely taxation will hit!)

Please excuse my chaotic reply.

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
You're satisfying your dependence on nicotine but you may not feel it. It may just feel normal. It does for me. If you look at graphs of the levels of nicotine in blood from smoking or vaping, you only see a similar spike with Juul's high concentration of salt nic. But even with the Juul, it was not really the same for me. I try not to think about it but I sometimes miss the buzz from smoking---haha!

I think it's helpful to appreciate that a lot of what we associate with nicotine is just in our imagination. Smokers learn to associate throat hit with the drug effect of nicotine. But 48 mg/ml "smooth" has the same drug effect as 48 mg/ml "hit" nicotine. The only difference is the chemistry of one preparation is more irritating to the throat.

Whatever works to keep you off cigarettes. That's the important thing. For me, I had good success swapping the cooling effect from koolada in place of throat hit. Both are artificial. The cooling effect is easier to control so that you can focus just on lowering your nic.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yeah, I'm going to say that throat hit and nic are not ENTIRELY dependent on one another, different devices just function different ways, and there are additives, adding pg, using a nic that is specifically FORMULATED for a throat hit can also be useful. I see nothing wrong with higher or lower nic, depending on what your body needs, as long as you aren't getting nic sick. Etc.

I don't have a ton of opinion on pod mods I haven't vaped that many but I actively sought a LACK of throat hit when I got here so I use nic salts at the moment. I am guessing I could go back to regular nic now, but throat hit and nic can be completely independent of each other. If you like it, though, there are things you can do to increases it AND vice versa.

If your pod mods are "out in the world" mods, you may or may not want a higher nic level to compensate for how frequently you are or are not vaping and there is always that to consider as well. Etc.

Best of luck,

Anna

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
Yeah different devices have different throat hits. It's usually the chimney design that generates the hit. The Savour for instance has a nice defined hit for me. The Ammit not so much.
Pods will be the worst for throat hit I think...with them you'll have use a high nic to give the hit.

My Batt Hurts

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2017
UK
Yeah different devices have different throat hits. It's usually the chimney design that generates the hit. The Savour for instance has a nice defined hit for me. The Ammit not so much.
Pods will be the worst for throat hit I think...

I'm inclined to agree. Still, I like these pod things - "pod acquisition syndrome" has me in its grip for now.

My Batt Hurts

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2017
UK
I think it's helpful to appreciate that a lot of what we associate with nicotine is just in our imagination.
That sounds reasonable. I think it's just that without some sort of 'feedback' from the vape, I may as well not bother, and that would be a shame - a walk around the block sucking on a straw won't fill the void. It would also look weird!

If your pod mods are "out in the world" mods, you may or may not want a higher nic level to compensate for how frequently you are or are not vaping and there is always that to consider as well.
Yes - this - dosage! A little goes a long way, because it has to.

Thanks, everyone.

brewbear

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2017
Some people add WTA to the juice they vape, others don't. The people using it do so to get that other undefinable "something" we got from cigarettes, it helps them make the transition. WTA is addictive so care should be taken when using it. Most often, a bottle with WTA and nic is used for the times you really "need" to and regular juice used the rest of the time.

• Agree

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
I like these pod things - "pod acquisition syndrome" has me in its grip for now.
Yep me to. Its the perfect way forward for MTL. Especially at the rate they're progressing....I'm very exited by them...just ordered the Innokin EQ to...:thumbs:

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
Some people add WTA to the juice they vape, others don't.
That is mostly what I use the pods for. Works very well for me to. I thin Aroma 24mg unflavoured by 50% pg to bring it down to 12mg. As for its addictiveness... it isn't for me. When I started out, that was what I thought to...its definitely not the case for me. I do it on my terms without any problem. I love it for its taste and flavor...closest thing to a cig for me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread