Pods systems and eating a tiny bit of crow...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
By now, everyone that has ever stumbled across any of my barely coherent pod system rants knows that I hate pod systems.

But, in my last rant I said I'd try one if certain criteria were met:
  • Rebuildable
  • Industry standard connector
  • Replaceable battery
A lot of people pointed out the Pasito, but it failed on two counts (replaceable cell and adherence to standards)

The new Squad from Squid Industries got close, but not quite (replaceable cell)

Then, as I was wasting time link chasing through YouTube reviews, I came across DJLSB's review of this:
Screenshot_20190723-102803_YouTube.jpg

That's the inside of a pod mod with a replaceable battery slot. Granted, a couple screws have to be removed and the warranty will be SNAFUed, but it takes a replaceable battery!

What about any kind of industry standard? Can you say Industry Standard Spring-Loaded 510? I knew that you could!
20190723_103213_compress99.jpg

The kit also comes with a proprietary pod that uses a ceramic coil, and an adapter that will allow the use of Juul (or compatible), Myle, Juno, and others. So, if there were an industry standard for the actual pod that plugs into the device, this one might work with it...

But it's not rebuildable, you say. Pish posh! Since it uses a 510, I can put just about anything I want on there. The little mod is 22mm across the top, so something like a Serpent Mini or an old Goblin would work. I could even dig out an old 16-18mm Genesis.

The mod is regulated, as well, with several modes. There's a power mode (1 to 45 watts), a pod mode (variable voltage 2.5 to 3.8 volts), a Jewel (juul - but the mod displays jewel) mode with voltage fixed at 3.1 volts), Myle (fixed at 3.6 volts), and Juno (fixed at 3.7 volts). The final menu option is to reset the puff counter.

It is larger than many of its competitors. Obviously, it's gonna be larger than things like the Juul and Juno and Caliburn... pens and sticks. When compared to units like the Smok Trinity Alpha or Geekvape Frenzy, it's OK... a tetch thicker and a scosh taller...
20190723_095546_compress46.jpg

Of course, that size is negligible when taken with the larger 1400mAh battery and full board.

Does this mean I am a pod convert? Nope. Far from it. Still can't stand the things because, by and large, they ignore industry standards (such as they are), are destined to croak after so many charge cycles, and place some truly horrific constraints on the consumer. BUT, I'll cut them some slack as I have found one that I can actually use.

Read back through and realized I never even named the product LOL...

It's the iJoy Diamond VPC kit. And it even comes with a lanyard...

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
...Still can't stand the things because, by and large, they ignore industry standards (such as they are), are destined to croak after so many charge cycles

They become more tolerable from the point of view of every ciggy is destined to croak after one cycle, a pack maybe lasts a day ;)

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
By now, everyone that has ever stumbled across any of my barely coherent pod system rants knows that I hate pod systems.

But, in my last rant I said I'd try one if certain criteria were met:
  • Rebuildable
  • Industry standard connector
  • Replaceable battery
Could one actually call such a thing a "pod system"?

I mean that sounds like a mod with an RBA, not a pod.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I just got my first pod setup, a JUUL like vape device. I purchased it just for use for stealth vaping circumstances. I had to re-learn how to MTL, and learn how to vape nic salts. For the purposes that I bought it, I am satisfied. But not something that I will use day in and day out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread