Poking holes /coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Hi folks. Anyone have any luck poking holes in the packing around the factory coils to prevent burnt hits?
    I broke out an old diy syringe to use but it's really no better than a sewing pin. I started by going in from the top and loosening that. It seems that the packing is layered or rolled around the coil, making it difficult to put holes in from the side.
    I did get some side holes in using the hypo tho.
    Problem I'm trying to fix is a vertical coil in my new Exceed tank. Keep getting burnt hits and having to loosen the topcap to break vacuum.

Reactions: stols001

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    Back when the first subtanks came out (Kanger, I believe) I had luck doing that. They were the square coils. Pushing a pin through one side feed hole all the way through to the other and wallowing it out a bit worked pretty well. I have no idea how the new stuff works though. Maybe similar? Everything I have is rebuilable.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Hi folks. Anyone have any luck poking holes in the packing around the factory coils to prevent burnt hits?
    I broke out an old diy syringe to use but it's really no better than a sewing pin. I started by going in from the top and loosening that. It seems that the packing is layered or rolled around the coil, making it difficult to put holes in from the side.
    Problem I'm trying to fix is a vertical coil in my new Exceed tank. Keep getting burnt hits and having to loosen the topcap to break vacuum.

Between Poking / Fluffing Up the wick with a sewing Pin and adding a Few Drops of H2O to my High VG e-Liquids, I (for the most part) was always able to get a Drop-In Coil Head to wick better.

But it has been a Long Time since I used Drop-In Coil Heads.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Between Poking / Fluffing Up the wick with a sewing Pin and adding a Few Drops of H2O to my High VG e-Liquids, I (for the most part) was always able to get a Drop-In Coil Head to wick better.

But it has been a Long Time since I used Drop-In Coil Heads.
    Ty. These bvc coils are really wrapped tightly! Well, this first coil is performing quite well at the moment. A bit gurgly @ 8.5w,as should be. We'll see as the day goes on.
    I hope I don't lose again in my video gaming in the evening. These clouds from these newer tanks are getting out of control.

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    Ty. These bvc coils are really wrapped tightly! Well, this first coil is performing quite well at the moment. A bit gurgly @ 8.5w,as should be. We'll see as the day goes on.
    I hope I don't lose again in my video gaming in the evening. These clouds from these newer tanks are getting out of control.

I've found many of the drop in coils these days are way tight on the cotton, making them feel solid than cottony. get that it's always a balance when designing these coils, but I believe there would be fewer complaints related to wicking through a solid chunk of cotton vs. using less and risk flooding the coil head.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I've found many of the drop in coils these days are way tight on the cotton, making them feel solid than cottony. get that it's always a balance when designing these coils, but I believe there would be fewer complaints related to wicking through a solid chunk of cotton vs. using less and risk flooding the coil head.
    Yeah, just chuck the product out to market quickly. The ecf will make improvements and they'll take those ideas....

AshKicker

Mar 10, 2018
    Chicago
    Use a razor blade and cut a slit halfway thru the cotton from top to bottom and youe won’t have any leaking problems that you would have with the poking method

• Useful
    Reactions: stols001

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    Well, the hole punching did the trick nicely! You guys and gals also helped me out earlier with the flooding- while- filling problem.

TY for all your help, ECF.

I never needed to try this trick until I bought Vaporesso GTM coils for the Cascade tank which is incredible btw. Like you I kept getting dry hits - yuck- so I took a sewing needle to poke several holes into the cotton. It was packed so tight I had to use the thimble to get the pressure for the needle to even enter the cotton! But it worked GREAT!

Glad it worked out for you too!!

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I never needed to try this trick until I bought Vaporesso GTM coils for the Cascade tank which is incredible btw. Like you I kept getting dry hits - yuck- so I took a sewing needle to poke several holes into the cotton. It was packed so tight I had to use the thimble to get the pressure for the needle to even enter the cotton! But it worked GREAT!

Glad it worked out for you too!!
    That's the way I started. It's a smidge easier with a syringe but I haven't been doing either too long. It definitely works and I was surprised that they think that we can get high vg thru that! I only use 50% and they were hard to use.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    I was quite surprised because I use the Vaporesso GT coils and never had a problem with them. As a matter of fact they’re awesome coils so I figured these newer ones would be similar. Nope. It actually took me a week to figure out what was going on and remembering that I read about this trick from other people. That’s one of the reasons I read most of the posts even if they don’t pertain to me at the moment. Never know what information may come in handy!

Enjoy your vaping!

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 13, 2013
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
    You're battling gravity and the principle of total dynamic head with vertical coils. As you vape the tank down, it is much harder for the wick material at the top of the coil to stay moistened once the liquid level falls below it. Gravity wants the liquid in the wick and the tank to be at the same level. The lower the liquid gets, the more dry hits you suffer.

Selling/making coilheads is business. They want to make you happy, but they dont want that happiness last for ever:rolleyes:
    Sounds like some of the women I've known.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread