The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Polish process to fix scratches on metal for a brand new brushed finish?

Discussion in 'E-Cigarette Maintenance' started by LReyes66, Apr 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. LReyes66

LReyes66 Ultra Member ECF Veteran Verified Member

Dec 30, 2013
    United States
    So I wanted to know the process when using sand paper to get a mod that has scratches n fix them while bringing back that brand new brushed shine.

For a example a authentic kayfuns brushed finish.

Sent from my Nexus 5

2. arth_d

arth_d Senior Member ECF Veteran Verified Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Australia
    use a scotchbrite sponge the green ones and spin the atty while holding the sponge

3. Clutchless

Clutchless Full Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Finland
    That`s the right method above for brushed shine , re-finished couple of brass Zippos back in the day like that, works for other stuff too

4. LReyes66

LReyes66 Ultra Member ECF Veteran Verified Member

Dec 30, 2013
    United States
    really the green SB works? I used it on my stuff in the past and it was good at giving an actually brush look but im looking for a brand new shiny brushed (not polished) look.

5. queevil

queevil Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 17, 2009
    If the scratches that you're trying to remove are deep or pronounced enough you may need to start with a bit more abrasive grade of sandpaper or steel wool to remove them. From there it's just a matter of using progressively higher grits until you have a look that you like. I've put a high polish on quite a few objects that I own and in my experience the brushed look happens at around 1000 grit, maybe 1500 if you want the scratch pattern to be less pronounced. A poster above suggested green scotchbrite and turning the mod in the pad. It's a good idea no matter what you use to apply the finish because it allows the scratch pattern to run evenly in the same direction and that really the most important part of the finish. It won't look right if the pattern isn't even. Also, sometimes the grit of the abrasive used isn't as important as applying equal pressure which is why turning the mod in an abrasive pad works so well. It allows equal pressure on all parts of the mod. Sorry to be so long winded but I've done this kind of work a lot because I'm almost never satisfied with the factory finish on items of stainless steel that I own. The good news is that when polishing, blasting or brushing stainless steel nothing is you do has to be permanent. If you don't like your work just go down a few grades an start over. Post up some pictures when you arrive at a finish you like.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

6. cjxxvi

cjxxvi Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    C:\
    the longer you brush it with scotch brite green scourging pads the more it will look shiny brushed finish.

Attached Files:

7. shiddyshad

shiddyshad Full Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Maumee, OH
    If you have access to a bench grinder use a wire wheel for a beautiful brushed finish..

8. shortdraw

shortdraw Senior Member ECF Veteran Verified Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Kodiak
    Chuck it up in a lathe if you want it perfectly symmetrical for a brushed finish. There's also bead blasting for a matte peened look, various grades of aluminum oxide blasting, and various coatings that can be taken advantage of. I enjoy metal work and various finishing techniques.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.