poll of the symptom: bleeding gums

Do you have bleeding gums

• I e-smoke exclusively (more than 2 weeks) and have bleeding gums

• I e-smoke exclusively (less than two weeks) and have bleeding gums

• I still smoke cigarettes and e-smoke (more than 2 weeks) and have bleeding gums

• I smoke cigarettes and e-smoke (less than 2 weeks) and having bleeding gums

• I do not suffer with bleeding gums

• I don't brush my teeth, they go in a glass at night

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

felspar

ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2008
Alaska - USA
Ever hear of Scurvy? If you have bleeding gums, you might want to read up a bit on the disease condition Scurvy. No, its not that bad yet, but everything starts somewhere. Then start taking some extra vitamin C with bioflavonoids, everyday.

We don't make our own vitamin C, you have to get it from somewhere, and there isn't much in food nowadays. If you are only taking a multivitamin, the measly rda is not nearly enough. Smoking, and possibly e-smoking uses up your vitamin C. (Oxidants - antioxidants). Its no fun to lose your teeth, and it would be a shame, if it were for lack of a inexpensive vitamin...

Also get yourself a water-pik, (water-jet flossing machine), and use it!

~felspar

SuziQ

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2008
Nr London, UK
Yes, I have heard of scurvy. I know I live in the UK and that may make us a third world country these days. I am clearly not short of a bob or two, as I can afford lots of things, including ecigs, inexpensive vitamins and fresh organic fruit and vegetables. ffs.

Ever hear of Scurvy? If you have bleeding gums, you might want to read up a bit on the disease condition Scurvy. No, its not that bad yet, but everything starts somewhere. Then start taking some extra vitamin C with bioflavonoids, everyday.

We don't make our own vitamin C, you have to get it from somewhere, and there isn't much in food nowadays. If you are only taking a multivitamin, the measly RDA is not nearly enough. Smoking, and possibly e-smoking uses up your vitamin C. (Oxidants - antioxidants). Its no fun to lose your teeth, and it would be a shame, if it were for lack of a inexpensive vitamin...

Also get yourself a water-pik, (water-jet flossing machine), and use it!

~felspar

SuziQ

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2008
Nr London, UK
i didnt vote , after starting vaping for a few weeks i went through a couple of weeks of bleeding gums when brushing, but it settled down and i no longer suffer with that anymore.

That's heartening news indeed apostle.
I am sure I am no scurvy knave, but I might start having slices of lime in my g&t, while on the yacht, just in case. Seriously, it may not hurt to up the vit c, especially at this time of year. I usually do if there are lots of colds about.

Last edited:

SuziQ

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2008
Nr London, UK
I started with Eludril this morning and just went and cleaned my teeth again
- no bleeding!!! :shock:
I always knew that stuff was very good, but not that good.
I have had bleeding every time I have cleaned my teeth for the past two weeks and I am not talking about a tiny amount, but this time, nothing. I am going to continue with it for the next week and perhaps things will go back to normal. I should also make a dental appointment.

satake

Nov 24, 2008
MT-USA
I've been E-smoking only since Nov 23rd. No bleeding gums, but........... I've had this symptom before when I tried to quit using the patch. I would mention this to your doctor since tooth/gum problems can sometimes be indicative of other problems.

- NICOTINE PATCH- Side Effects
More common side effects may include: Bleeding gums, too much saliva, hiccups, indigestion, slight swelling of the mouth, injury to teeth or cheeks, nausea, upset stomach, and sore throat.

Less common or rare side effects may include: ........, dry mouth, swollen gums, tongue, or throat, mouth sores, muscle pain, rashes, and sweating.

If these rare or other symptoms develop or get stronger, inform your doctor at once.
----------------------
To me these symptoms sound like what a lot here are reporting.

Bertrand

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2008
Here's the bit, SuziQ. Elsewhere it explains that fluoride inhibits the glycerine uptake by bacteria:

Glycerine can be bound by Streptococcus mutans, an important resident of dental plaque. ... [Glycerine] is not of practical consequence in the development of dental caries where it is employed in oral care products, particularly because they almost universally are formulated with fluoride or another agent with antimicrobial properties.
In general, however, it must be recognized that glycerine is a substance that can support bacterial function. It can serve as a bacterial nutrient and enter metabolic processes of a limited number of bacteria capable of acid production. ...

Since I personally use glycerine only e-liquid, if PG provides the same protective benefit as plaque, I will not benefit from it. Either way, it looks like something to bear in mind if you are having issues with your teeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread