Status
Not open for further replies.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Introduction

Now is the time when a lot of vapers wonder if they should learn to DIY – there are signs in the sky that juice prices will skyrocket and some (most?) flavors can disappear. Some vapers are questioning their ability in DIY adventure. So here is my post – very simple DIY, the method I use now. It is not about flavors (I prefer slightly flavored juice), its about how to make vapable juice with minimal equipment and efforts. Easy way. And again – I do use this method exclusively and I am rather happy with it.

Safety

The best nicotine for long term storage is 100 mg nic solution. Harmful for children and pets. Harmful for adults if drunk. Recommended to handle with gloves. I do not use gloves, but I do have a lot of lab experience. Do not be afraid it you got spill on your skin, just rinse it with plenty of water. Better not to handle in carpeted room (because of possible tough to clean spills). It is a good idea to work in sink or next to it, at least in the beginning (I make my juices at my desk).

DIY

Suppose I want to prepare 100 ml of 12 mg base (base – unflavored juice, just nic, VG, PG). I need 125 (or 150) ml bottle and syringe (or graduated cylinder) suitable to measure 12 ml of nic solution. That’s it. No more equipment needed. Suppose I like juice with 30/70 pg/vg and I have stockpiled 100 mg nic in PG. I’ll take measuring cap, fill it with 100 ml of water and pour 30 ml into my bottle. Now I can make a mark on my bottle on the level of 30 ml. They I pour the rest of water in the bottle and mark 100 ml level. Bottle is ready, it needs just to dry out.

Now I can start. I measure 12 ml of 100 mg nic (with syringe or cylinder) and put it in the bottle. Then pour in PG up to 30 ml level (remember, nic was diluted in PG, so these 12 ml of nic can be counted as PG). Then I top it with VG to 100 ml level. Screw cup on and shake vigorously for 2-8 min. Put it down. Have a break. Shake again. And third time – shake after a break. Base is ready. It is perfectly vapable. It is called unflavored juice. I am vaping it right now while typing. Closest thing to real cigarette.

In my other tanks I have slightly flavored juices. I can put 100 ml of base in three 50 ml bottles (33 ml of juice in each) and use one as unflavored and two others as flavored. To make juice flavored I use drop method. For example 10 drops of orange flavor and 10 drops of green apple in the same bottle. Same shaking again and it is ready to vape (fruit flavors generally do not need steeping). If you prefer sweeter juices you can buy sweetener when you buy flavors, but I prefer my own sweetener – 10% of pure sucralose in water (you can buy sucralose on Amazon). I keep it in 50 ml dropper bottle in my kitchen, it is used mostly by my wife in cooking as a sugar substitute – much cheaper and have much less calories than Splenda.

I hope that when you use this method you’ll see that DIY is actually an easy thing. You may want to develop your skills, to upgrade you equipment (bunches of syringes, cylinders, bottles, scales…), but to start DIY, to get acquainted with it is actually and easy and cheap thing.

God luck

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
This is a good throw it together method and it does sound simple enough, but.......if people wish to make juice that compares to what they can buy, your method will leave them frustrated and unsatisfied. Anyone looking to start DIY, yes, now is the time to learn and stockpile nic. There are threads upon threads in the DIY section explaining how to get started and doing it right is really no more difficult than what you describe.

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
LOL, I upgraded my mixing lab the other day. I got a cool vintage travel box to store and organize it.

What is this, 1950`s? LOL. If I found a key to fit it, it would also be child proof (No children at home anymore, so no problem.
L1070085.JPG

Open it up and pull out the full bag of Muji cotton, and its all there, everything I need to make GRRRREAT juice.

L1070086.JPG

That`s a note book on the right, and in the manila folder in back are printer stickers I use to label the bottles once they are mixed.

Just pull out the major stuff and mix away. Having it this organized has cut the time it takes to make 4-5-6 bottles to about 30 minutes, just like that.

L1070087.JPG

I don`t even rinse the hypos anymore cause there is one for each component. I find they stay nice and smooth instead of getting ruff and sticky this way, I just wipe of the outside of the needle and such and then put them away.

And YES, that is the kitchen table of DEATH. LOL.

:?)

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
LOL, I upgraded my mixing lab the other day. I got a cool vintage travel box to store and organize it.

What is this, 1950`s? LOL. If I found a key to fit it, it would also be child proof (No children at home anymore, so no problem.
View attachment 553229

Open it up and pull out the full bag of Muji cotton, and its all there, everything I need to make GRRRREAT juice.

View attachment 553231
That`s a note book on the right, and in the manila folder in back are printer stickers I use to label the bottles once they are mixed.

Just pull out the major stuff and mix away. Having it this organized has cut the time it takes to make 4-5-6 bottles to about 30 minutes, just like that.

View attachment 553233

I don`t even rinse the hypos anymore cause there is one for each component. I find they stay nice and smooth instead of getting ruff and sticky this way, I just wipe of the outside of the needle and such and then put them away.

I like it, nice set up. My vape case is an entire credenza!

Reactions: VHRB2014

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
I've tried diy. Bought some pre-mixed pg/vg/nic juice but couldn't get my juice to taste like anything but rotting flowers.

I finally gave up.
Don't give up Dog, I made a crap load of stuff that tasted like a combination of cough syrup and dog excrement. These days I've got 3 or 4 recipes that rival any juice I used to buy, only it's pennies on the dollar. You really don't have much choice now.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
People who do want to maybe use the OP's method, but also want to mix more flavorful eliquids...could buy/use some of OSDIY Shop's One Shot Flavors and/or their One Shot Blends.

Quite a few people on the ECF use them and love them! One of my friends makes all of his eliquids, and lots of them are multi-flavored, detailed recipes. But, he also loves and raves about the "Lucky Shot" blend from OSDIY Shop. Convinced me to try it, too, even though I DIY my complex eliquids, too, already. I'm ordering a bottle of it yet this week!

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
Mixing your own juice is like cooking the perfect steak. Sure, you can pay someone $30-40-50 bucks to do it for you, (More power to you). Or you can buy the thing for $5 and D.I.Y.!

This is where the Fed. Dill weed Aswipes are headed, they absolutely refuse to let anyone live cheap.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
People who do want to maybe use the OP's method, but also want to mix more flavorful eliquids...could buy/use some of OSDIY Shop's One Shot Flavors and/or their One Shot Blends.

Quite a few people on the ECF use them and love them! One of my friends makes all of his eliquids, and lots of them are multi-flavored, detailed recipes. But, he also loves and raves about the "Lucky Shot" blend from OSDIY Shop. Convinced me to try it, too, even though I DIY my complex eliquids, too, already. I'm ordering a bottle of it yet this week!

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY

I have to agree with you, some may wish to use those "pre-mixed" flavorings. Much easier to do and yields consistent results. I forget we are not only talking about money savings on DIY any more.....Welcome to the new normal.

Reactions: wwwmarty

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com

+1 on the OSD flavorings. There "Get it right the first time" flavors that are good on there own. I find 10% across the board is perfect for these.

Make Your Own DIY Eliquid/Juice and Candy

Start your DIY with these flavors and you'll be swimming in juice in no time. And you will think "This is just to easy why didn't I do this earlier". Best of all the flavors are so cheap you'll be making juice at a cost of pennies per bottle.

Last edited:

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
+1 on the OSD flavorings. There "Get it right the first time" flavors that are good on there own. I find 10% across the board is perfect for these.

Make Your Own DIY Eliquid/Juice and Candy

Bear in mind these pre mixes can cost almost as much as finished juice by the time you're said and done, but as I said, saving money isn't all it's about anymore.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
Bear in mind these pre mixes can cost almost as much as finished juice by the time you're said and done, but as I said, saving money isn't all it's about anymore.

Of course taking into account the start up cost of VG/PG nic base, mixing hardware (Syringes/bottles etc). But in the long run it's far cheaper then retail premade juice. It cost me $1.50 - $2.50 per 30ml bottle to make it myself.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
  • Deleted by sonicdsl
  • Reason: Criticizing moderation is not permitted

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com

View attachment 553229

View attachment 553231

View attachment 553233

Little case not work for me. What is the biggest suitcase on wheels they make? LOL

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
  • Deleted by sonicdsl
  • Reason: Response to deleted post

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
  • Deleted by sonicdsl

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
  • Deleted by sonicdsl

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.

View attachment 553229

View attachment 553231

View attachment 553233

Many people use the excuse "i don't have the room for DIY " which i always thought was a poor excuse since everything i need fits inside a shoebox. Your mixing station is slightly larger than mine but as long as it works.

Reactions: Lannie

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
So those are pre mixed flavors that you just add to vg/pg/nic b?

That could be what I'm looking for.

Yes these are concentrated flavorings you add to a VG/PG/NIC base these are not premixed juice. A 10ml bottle added at 10% will make 100ml's of finished juice. So you buy a 30ml bottle of flavoring for $4.00 and you can make 300mls of juice. Quite a savings after figuring the cost of VG/PG/NIC into it. Comes to about $2.00 per 30ml bottle of finished juice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread