The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Popcorn Lung and the VA

Discussion in 'Law and the E-Cigarette' started by Johntodd, May 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Johntodd

Johntodd Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 18, 2011
    USA
    Went in for a checkup yesterday, was asked if I smoked. Told them I vaped. The nurse then proceeded to educate me about the dangers of popcorn lung, citing that same flawed study that gets thrown around.

When dealing with the medical field, please remember that there are two types of people involved:

1. Those that truly believe vaping is bad.
    2. Those that are simply obeying the rules they have to apply in order to keep their jobs.

In the end, let them say their piece, say thanks, and go on with the exam. You can't defeat most medical professionals because they are either in the #1 or #2 category. There are exceptions, though. My wife had a doc recommend vaping to her. He waited until everybody else left and it was just us 3 in the room.

Cheers;
    -John

• Like Like x 2
  2. Opinionated

Opinionated Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 19, 2015
    The VA has more of a party line so to speak. Regular doctors not so much. I have seen three doctors - regular doctors on the outside - all three both recommend and encourage my vaping.

So, the VA has a line they seem to have to promote, but you do see more support for vaping outside of the VA.

I have been vaping long enough now, and it going well enough for me, that this last visit to the doctor they simply marked me as a non smoker, and didn't even write in my chart that I vape - even when I said I'm still vaping. I was told, that's a non smoker, nothing else needs to be charted.

So.. it's a different world right now.

• Like Like x 3
  3. CasketWeaver

CasketWeaver Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2014
    Decatur, IL 62521
    Seeing the VA every year, I have heard my doctor tell me at my last physical to keep doing what I'm doing. With other things going on with my lungs that I won't mention at the moment, the doc I see, just says "If it works for you, keep doing it, just DON'T SMOKE ANYMORE!" so, I grab my big .... mod, and vape away.

• Like Like x 3
  4. r77r7r

r77r7r ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I recently got the popcorn lecture from my primary. Also added on the Kiddies part. His best idea at one time was Chantix tho.

Between my vaping and another issue, it Really seemed like he gets his info from the first page on Giggle.

• Like Like x 2
  5. petrotech

petrotech Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Feb 9, 2015
    indiana
    most of my docs at the VA have been the same way. then i talked to a nurse in the "smoke pit" out in the parking garage one day. she said that most of them know that Vaping is healthier, but they're not allowed to tell us that. not sure how true it was, but I don't see a reason for her to make it up.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.