Popcorn Lung and the VA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johntodd

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2011
USA
Went in for a checkup yesterday, was asked if I smoked. Told them I vaped. The nurse then proceeded to educate me about the dangers of popcorn lung, citing that same flawed study that gets thrown around.

When dealing with the medical field, please remember that there are two types of people involved:

1. Those that truly believe vaping is bad.
2. Those that are simply obeying the rules they have to apply in order to keep their jobs.

In the end, let them say their piece, say thanks, and go on with the exam. You can't defeat most medical professionals because they are either in the #1 or #2 category. There are exceptions, though. My wife had a doc recommend vaping to her. He waited until everybody else left and it was just us 3 in the room.

Cheers;
-John

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Went in for a checkup yesterday, was asked if I smoked. Told them I vaped. The nurse then proceeded to educate me about the dangers of popcorn lung, citing that same flawed study that gets thrown around.

When dealing with the medical field, please remember that there are two types of people involved:

1. Those that truly believe vaping is bad.
2. Those that are simply obeying the rules they have to apply in order to keep their jobs.

In the end, let them say their piece, say thanks, and go on with the exam. You can't defeat most medical professionals because they are either in the #1 or #2 category. There are exceptions, though. My wife had a doc recommend vaping to her. He waited until everybody else left and it was just us 3 in the room.

Cheers;
-John

The VA has more of a party line so to speak. Regular doctors not so much. I have seen three doctors - regular doctors on the outside - all three both recommend and encourage my vaping.

So, the VA has a line they seem to have to promote, but you do see more support for vaping outside of the VA.

I have been vaping long enough now, and it going well enough for me, that this last visit to the doctor they simply marked me as a non smoker, and didn't even write in my chart that I vape - even when I said I'm still vaping. I was told, that's a non smoker, nothing else needs to be charted.

So.. it's a different world right now.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
Seeing the VA every year, I have heard my doctor tell me at my last physical to keep doing what I'm doing. With other things going on with my lungs that I won't mention at the moment, the doc I see, just says "If it works for you, keep doing it, just DON'T SMOKE ANYMORE!" so, I grab my big .... mod, and vape away.

petrotech

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2015
indiana
most of my docs at the VA have been the same way. then i talked to a nurse in the "smoke pit" out in the parking garage one day. she said that most of them know that Vaping is healthier, but they're not allowed to tell us that. not sure how true it was, but I don't see a reason for her to make it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread