Popping sound when I vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
New to rtas and using hellvape md I use 6wraps ss 28ga wire and cotton bacon prime and the thing is my vape makes popping sound all the time....my zpide tank used to pop also but didn't sound so loud I guess cause the rta has the chamber but I was wondering is that normal thing??? I tried wick veeeery tight like I didn't care if I get dry hit just to see if the popping would stop but didn't ...
I tried to go to lower wattage but then I feel like the juice boils and makes me scared I will get flooded coil and higher wattage don't help...do u guys get popping sounds when u vape ? Is it normal? Am I doing something wrong that I can't realise???? XD

Steamhammer

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2020
Germany
With 6 wraps you should get about 0.7 Ohm, right? At what wattage do you vape? Do you have any other problems apart from the sound?

I also use the Helvape MD. My wire is ss 2x 32ga twisted, 7 wraps. This comes out at around 1.1 Ohm. I'm vaping it at 14 W.

I find, a bit of popping is normal. Mine sounds like boiling water, just not as loud. Some people even say, if it's not popping, it's a bad coil/wick and one should replace it.

Also, with a new coil the popping sound is much more pronounced and diminishes during the first few tanks. How long did you vape with the coil?

Reactions: stols001

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
No popping starts with a good method and ends with symmetry…

Good luck. :)

p.s. Popping, where the coil is the concern, is often either dry (inadequate flow, excess power) or too wet (over-fill or flow, inefficient or inadequate vaporization, too hot). A shorting or uneven heat output of one or more turns or leads, bad or oxidized pos or neg contact, arcing.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
Yes, it can be normal.
You can play around with your build to get rid of it. Pressing the coils together, tighter wicking can eliminate it most the times.

Tried the wicking tighter part but.......hmmmmmmmmmmmm my coils are always spaced hmmmmmmmmm......noted ...tyvmmmmmmm

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
With 6 wraps you should get about 0.7 Ohm, right? At what wattage do you vape? Do you have any other problems apart from the sound?

I also use the Helvape MD. My wire is ss 2x 32ga twisted, 7 wraps. This comes out at around 1.1 Ohm. I'm vaping it at 14 W.

I find, a bit of popping is normal. Mine sounds like boiling water, just not as loud. Some people even say, if it's not popping, it's a bad coil/wick and one should replace it.

Also, with a new coil the popping sound is much more pronounced and diminishes during the first few tanks. How long did you vape with the coil?

Yes it comes to 0.7ohm you are correct....I vape it around 15-18watts cause if I go low I hear the boiling sound and then my driptip gets filled with juice :( btw since u use hellvape md..oh man I may be new to rtas but I have seen many videos about wicking this tank and others and I feel like the rules of wicking does not apply to this tank...like if I don't stuff a lot of cotton into the wick holes I will get flooded for sure....I wonder what u do...also I use 3mm coil now just Soo my cotton is a bit thicker to see if that make me not need to stuff if hard into the holes.... :D

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
Could you post a picture of your coil? Might help.

XD I just recoil it and make a contacted coil ATM...but my previous was a perfectly a little spaced 6wrap ss 28ag coil really but I will post a pic of the new I will make now just to show u guys what I do with the wicking in order for the cotton to now touch the deck and have leaking from airflow hahaha xD wish I could see also others hellvape mds to see how they go around the leaking from airflow issue xD

Reactions: HigherStateD

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
This is what I do so the cotton don't touch the airflow deck .....I know u guys may find it wierd but I don't know what else to do and Soo far works ok no leaks....the popping sounds I said it's not I would mind it but I felt like it's not working as it should...if I increase wattage it gets too hot and if I go lower I hear it boil and may get juice to driptip....also I use the more open airflows Soo that I don't create much vacuum ....and I feel like this hellvape md it's a little wierdo...I hope someone use it also :D be nice pls it's my first rta and I use it for like one week and rewick almost everyday trying to find my steps hahaha
Hmmm this was with contact coil I don't have that hardcore popping just a light poping sound and the flavour is same even tho I heard spaced coil for better flavour....hmm maybe I should put more coil tho more wraps hmmmmmmm noice

Attachments

• IMG_20200904_173531.jpg
    IMG_20200904_173531.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Reactions: MacTechVpr

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens

Check out the pic what I do so the cotton don't touch the deck lol don't laugh....I would like to see one of your wicking since u are hellvaper also I AM NEWBIEEEEEEEEEE HAAAALPPPPPPPPPPPPP HAHAHAHA

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
…even tho I heard spaced coil for better flavour.

I wish this common old wive's tale of a myth could be vaporized.

Stands to reason flavor is directly tied to vapor production. The more efficient the transition of the juice to vapor, the more vapor and proportionally the greater the sum of flavoring ingredients in the vaporized carrier (water vapor mostly and suspended base droplets, what we see).

Use spacing to optimize installation mostly, very slight and only to help prevent leg or lead splaying which might cause end-turn separation from the element with time and repeated effect of heat expansion. Increased spacing doesn't add efficiency of vaporization. You limit the amount of mass (and power) you can build in to a defined limited space. While not an issue with small coils in ample decks it does when you want to take advantage of the power potentials of today's sophisticated APV's and capable atomizers. The more wetted contact surface you can apply, the greater the possible vapor production.

Good luck @Superuser187. :)

p.s. Above applies to Kanthal A1 spaced and contact. SS, diff bird.

Last edited:

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
I wish this common old wive's tale of a myth could be vaporized.

Stands to reason flavor is directly tied to vapor production. The more efficient the transition of the juice to vapor, the more vapor and proportionally the greater the sum of flavoring ingredients in the vaporized carrier (water vapor mostly and suspended base droplets, what we see).

Use spacing to optimize installation mostly, very slight and only to help prevent leg or lead splaying which might cause end-turn separation from the element with time and repeated effect of heat expansion. Increased spacing doesn't add efficiency of vaporization. You limit the amount of mass (and power) you can build in to a defined limited space. While not an issue with small coils in ample decks it does when you want to take advantage of the power potentials of today's sophisticated APV's and cable atomizers. The more wetted contact surface you can apply, the greater the possible vapor production.

Good luck @Superuser187. :)

p.s. Above applies to Kanthal A1 spaced and contact. SS, diff bird.

Thanks a lot....makes sense....I should start also put my mind to think cause even as a new to this I see many people old vapers sometimes say stuff that don't make sense and maybe they are another myth....I am a car mechanic and also I repair PC's and laptops and stuff and i knew I would be fine with go into deeper into vaping but I didn't want to fall into trap of thinking I can make it on my own and I should just listen and study first what others know...but common sense should be always in my head :D thanks a lot again to you and all of the people that take the time to reply....it's nice :)

Reactions: MacTechVpr

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Thanks a lot....makes sense....I should start also put my mind to think cause even as a new to this I see many people old vapers sometimes say stuff that don't make sense and maybe they are another myth....I am a car mechanic and also I repair PC's and laptops and stuff and i knew I would be fine with go into deeper into vaping but I didn't want to fall into trap of thinking I can make it on my own and I should just listen and study first what others know...but common sense should be always in my head :D thanks a lot again to you and all of the people that take the time to reply....it's nice :)

Then you know the importance of consistency, repeatability and what they spare us in sweat and blood.

Reactions: Superuser187

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I dont enjoy my vape as much if Im not getting the snap crackle and pop. I will rewick it if its not there. To me, its a sign of perfect wicking.

"If vaping is'nt "POLITICAL", then I don't know what is?"

Great tag.

Feel the same way on the poppin. Vape mostly RxW (ceramic wick) and the boundary between great flav and clouds seems to lie right on that edge where the poppin starts (and the sizzle after). That's the way you do it.

Last edited:

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Minor popping is good to me. It is burning the juice off the coil. But, to much popping means to many watts. I get a sizzle and I think it is burning well in order to keep the coil clean...or at least cleaner, but not burning the juice. Drawing a lot of air helps to cool the juice, too. I just don't suck that much.

It is all about balance, but sizzle is good. (I think)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread