Meet Me in St Louie Louie
map_trip-jpg.473822

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
First and foremost .. the Map outline / route is for general informational purposes .. it is not designed to encompass the entirety of the Journey, can be amended at any time by anyone that wants to revise it and post a new map ..

I will initially outline a few talking points, let's dive into the details as each of you see fit .. the only thing I would ask is that : Please have a degree of certainty that you are, in fact, seriously considering throwing in, especially those that need / want transport .. I'm not asking that anyone make a firm commitment, I am asking that if you see that there is absolutely no way you can do this, then, sadly, there would be no point in discussing .. but, if you think you can pull it off, please contribute .. even if you are not 100% sure .. if you can dream it, you can do it ..

My personal initial input as follows :

1) I see this as a Bucket List item, likely a one shot (although that could change after Odyssey One ..)
2) My idea from the get go was based on me taking the Southern Route, St Louis to Texas to Florida .. I am not, in any way shape or form, going to make the entire circle, please keep in mind I will be going home on the same route I came, in order to drop off passengers .. my plan would be to provide transport to 3 folks I would pick up along the way .. if interest exceeded my Trucks capacity to carry 3 passengers comfortably, I will consider the rental of a Passenger Van ..
3) The way this pans out in my head, at least on my route, I'm estimating at 3 solid days of driving to, 3 solid days of driving back .. unless we did some sort of marathon drive, rotating drivers .. in addition, if my passenger capacity is booked with folks from the Dallas area and south, I will cut off the jog to Oklahoma City and instead go thru Arkansas since it saves me time ..
4) Someone needs to consider the Northern Route .. from the sound of it, we're talking about Michigan / Indiana East and then South ..
5) Not all of us are fully retired, so Vacation Time Off will have to be considered
6) If I had a preference time wise, it would be Fall or Spring .. and avoiding Spring Break .. I say Fall or Spring because Family Vacations are over, schools back in session, the roadways are generally lighter traffic wise ..
7) If traveling by vehicle(s), the more folks, the lesser the cost on any lodging we may need along the way .. Hotels are always ready to cut a deal on a group
8) This can be any transport any of you decide to use .. planes, trains, automobiles ..
9) Also in my head, I envision a Central Meeting Hotel / Condo .. where all of us, including the Floridians, would agree on for the duration of the Gathering .. all of us in one place, at an agreed upon day extending I think for at least 3 days .. in fact, 4 days would be even better .. I tend to lean toward a Condo rental scenario for various reasons .. the details need to be hashed out, number of folks and time/dates set though, before serious Lodging calls can be made ..
10) Planning any outside activities once we are all in one place is a Floridians job .. if we get there, it's your State, IOW .. and this plays into where the Central Meeting Hotel is located .. as much as I'd love us to go to the Keys, it's a haul from Central Florida .. (Johnny, nothing would be better than sipping a cocktail around Hemingway's old haunts) .. we must be realistic, although I am staying open on the time spent in Florida, I must consider those that are my fellow travelers ..
11) Johnny living in the Bradenton area and me not knowing Patty's mobility, etc, and I like that area, but I also like the Atlantic side .. the Collective Group here should give it thought, and the Florida Faction should add their input .. again, it's your State .. it's not a huge drive East/West once you are in Florida .. I also like the idea of being fairly close to the Beach ..

So, I think I've given enough food for thought for now .. let's kick some tires and see where this goes ..

Last edited:

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Last edited:

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Umm...what does that mean?
For something like this, as folks say they are interested, we can have one that has a list of folks who want to go, maybe one that has a list of possible gathering sites, that way they'll stay at the top of the thread rather than having to go searching for them. Later on we'll need a mod to help us edit, but I bet classy will help us out

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
For something like this, as folks say they are interested, we can have one that has a list of folks who want to go, maybe one that has a list of possible gathering sites, that way they'll stay at the top of the thread rather than having to go searching for them. Later on we'll need a mod to help us edit, but I bet classy will help us out

Great idea .. :thumb:

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Ok, as for me, you know that my heart is all in. I have nothing that would keep me from going except $ but if I can somehow work that out, you know I'm already packed and waiting at the curb!

Something that might be helpful is for folks to say, yes I'd like to go, but these are my issues that might make it impossible. Pet care etc, obviously most won't want to get too personal about issues, but sometimes others, through here or PM might have some good suggestions to help overcome obstacles.

Reactions: Kenna

yiddleboge6

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2012
PA
There is nothing more that I would love to do than participate in this. I would give my eye teeth and take a front seat in Hades, however......my eye teeth won't provide me the funding and with most people located in the south or already in Florida..... no one to hitch a ride with,so......guess I will have to be content with shedding a few tears and......

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
There is nothing more that I would love to do than participate in this. I would give my eye teeth and take a front seat in Hades, however......my eye teeth won't provide me the funding and with most people located in the south or already in Florida..... no one to hitch a ride with,so......guess I will have to be content with shedding a few tears and......

You're throwing the towel in way to early ..

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Ok, as for me, you know that my heart is all in. I have nothing that would keep me from going except $ but if I can somehow work that out, you know I'm already packed and waiting at the curb!

Something that might be helpful is for folks to say, yes I'd like to go, but these are my issues that might make it impossible. Pet care etc, obviously most won't want to get too personal about issues, but sometimes others, through here or PM might have some good suggestions to help overcome obstacles.

The details and the plan are Step One and the most important .. you don't need to sweat the cash until it's time to sweat the cash .. although stashing a few bucks here and there won't hurt ..

By my notes, I have you and Kenna on my Passenger Manifest .. waiting on Roto and Dancing to weigh in .. who else on my leg of the trip has shown interest .. ??

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Not throwing in the towel......I dream....a lot !! Just being realistic. Transportation.....lodging.....food......

I've spent a good portion of my life working with the movement/placement of people and equipment in the most economical way possible .. it's part of how I used to make a living .. why not present an outline of what you would like to see happen as far as logistics, timing, etc .. ?? Worry about the cash when the time comes .. we'll have a Bake Sale .. :) .. if you can say "It's not impossible" then you're 90% there .. the money is the last 10% ..

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
By my notes, I have you and Kenna on my Passenger Manifest .. waiting on Roto and Dancing to weigh in .. who else on my leg of the trip has shown interest .. ??
sushigirl showed some interest, she's in Austin. And of course with dancin, we'll have to see when we get closer to know if it's fall or spring, and how she's doin etc. Dunno if she could get off work, or even be able to afford to get off work, or leave her grandkids etc. But we'll see. I've only got one issue to work out, but I know others have more issues. Kenna would love to, but we'll have to see when they chime in

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
I am very interested. If it is next spring count me in 100% as central Florida is just a short drive north from Deerfield Beach. If it is this fall then the odds of my participation go down quite a bit. Not saying no for fall but, depends on if we are moved yet.
This is another thing that would be good to know from folks. If fall or spring would be better, or if you could do either one.

Reactions: MattB101

oldbroad

don't need no dang title..I'm queen of the world!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2009
Lower Mich.
I'm pretty sure that I've decided on a plane. But I'd need some one to come get me.And I'd need to know what town/city the party's gonna be located at.

Oh...and I'm partial to the idea of a condo with a kitchen...we can take turns showing off our culinary skills:)

Deb, you can share a bed with me...long as you don't snore!

Forgot...very important.... does anyone play euchre?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread