Positive and Balanced article in the Globe and Mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
Interesting... it doesn't read all that positive to me, albeit one might call it cautiously balanced.

For example, what is this supposed to mean?
Devotees [vapers, ed. note]– who are an unusually fanatical lot – can trot out amazing anecdotal stories

This seems totally backwards to me, wherein the ANTZ are the fanatical lot, and us vapers are trying to bring reason and science to what usually is emotionally charged abolitionist propaganda.

IMO, it's a bit extreme to see balance in statements like this
grandiose claims of benefit from proponents and the dire warnings of opponents

However, in the final analysis, this is not one of those more typical scare mongering, ANTZ lies, abolitionist propaganda we usually get from the media, so on that criterion, it's definitely a plus.

Tache

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
BC Canada
I agree that the writer did get a little "flowery" with his language. I would say though, that we are fairly zealous in our defence of vaping. How else could such a tiny fraction of the population prevail in a democratic society? That we use fact and logic, in addition to anecdote, does not lessen the intensity of our determination.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
I've been sending Andre Picard (health reporter at the Globe and Mail) weekly e-mails (extolling the virtues of e-cigs) for more than 5 years, and he's finally written a somewhat balanced article (although he repeated misrepresented the scientific evidence by saying "we don't know" several times).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread