Post pictures of your working wick and coil setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistaree

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2010
Hampton, Virginia
I had some pops my first few times too. Still have em here and there, especially with thinner wire (32g). You gave up on only your second attempt? I can't imagine you're already out of wire.

Also, are you just holding down the button as soon as you pop a fresh coil on there? That's a sure fire way to pop a coil. Try starting with a few quick pulses to see if there are any shorts/hotspots. You can keep pulsing to work them out (as well as a little bit of adjustment with some tweezers or some such).[/QUOTE]

The AGA-T2 only came with a small piece of wire & I suspect the 1 piece was supposed to be for 2 coils. I ordered some 30g from Ebay & hopefully I get it 2day or 2morrow. I got 10ft for $3 & free shipping & I bought 4/5 pre rolled 400 mesh for like $1.50 a piece & only a dollar for shipping. Trust me, I'm a perfectionist & as soon as I get my tools, its on... I ordered a nice jet flame torch lighter from http://Tmart.com for $4.23 with free shipping. I buy a lot of my electronic from them, just make sure its from the US warehouse.. Otherwise be prepared to wait for an overseas package. It took me almost an hour just to take the AGA-T2 apart... smh Adult Proof ...
AHHH, I can't wait until the mailman comes.... He should know better than to be late with my packages.....

Last edited:

stimps403

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2011
SoCal
yeh but all i have is the wire i use for protanks on my mvp..... so i made coils comparable to that . 2.5 and up i vape the protank coils at 4.2-4.5 volts sometimes 5volts 3ohms 8+ watts

my mech i like around 1 ohm but go as high as 1.5 depending on the juice i am vapeing. 1.5' though i will use my kick and its with light almost clear e juice

i dont even think i can make a 1.5 ohm coil with 34g.... it would be like a 1 wrap lol

While you wait for your supplies, try twisting the 34g to lower the resistance. Twisting kanthal.

hippieben

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2012
Sarasota, FL
Here's the latest creation. 1.3 ohms

jrp4bwr.jpg

blondeambition3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
FL, USA
blondeambition3.wix.com
I'm new to the RBA scene and something that's helping me a lot is seeing what your wick and coil setups look like. Anything that's working for you, show us a picture! I think it will help other new people to see it doesn't always have to be beautiful to work great.

Possibly share with us a little information as well. Wire type, wicking material and size, methods, any band-aids, etc.

What do you think guys and gals?

This is a 'mesh & coil' set up, but I thought you may eventually consider a Genesis-style atomizer........ :)

AGI Stainless Steel (Pyrex Tank) RBA with #400 SS Mesh wick with 32 gauge AW-1 Kanthal wire :vapor:

DSCN3875.jpg

CloudZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
My best builds so far, nothing special. My RBA is some kind of a cheap knockoff I bought for $8, it was listed as a Phoenix but I am pretty sure it isn't. My mod is a Bolt, looking to upgrade to a mechanical soon.

Dual coil at 1 ohm, 32 gauge nichrome, cotton wicks. Probably the most vapor I have made yet.
IMAG0305-1.jpg

Didn't take a very good picture of this one, was just recording the length of the mesh (too long). So yeah, 450 SS mesh wrapped around silica with 30 gauge kanthal. 1.1 ohm. Super clean flavor, I've liked this one the most.
View attachment 217623

Touching coil around cotton, 32 gauge nichrome, reads about 2.1-2.2 on my meter, not sure what it drops down to as it shorts while firing. Pretty good vape, nothing amazing. Thicker wire would probably work better.
View attachment 217624

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Well, I just put this up in the REO pages; but I wanted to share here too. I smooshed a micro-coil on some skinny Nextel (I think its 26g) and ran the wick over and under. So I've got an "oval" coil with airflow above and below and sandwiched in wet wick. (The airflow below, I'm finding, is a great source of TH and treble notes. It usually kills clouds; but here, clouds are seriously massive.) This is a really thick and hard-hitting vape. ;)

ADDIT: Later . . . . . "note to self, next time use higher gauge" . . . . . . man that's hitting hard.

Last edited:

Jeremy Evans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2013
Columbus, Georgia, United States
Well, I just put this up in the REO pages; but I wanted to share here too. I smooshed a micro-coil on some skinny Nextel (I think its 26g) and ran the wick over and under. So I've got an "oval" coil with airflow above and below and sandwiched in wet wick. (The airflow below, I'm finding, is a great source of TH and treble notes. It usually kills clouds; but here, clouds are seriously massive.) This is a really thick and hard-hitting vape. ;)

ADDIT: Later . . . . . "note to self, next time use higher gauge" . . . . . . man that's hitting hard.

pdib, you make me want to get a bottom feeder so bad.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
So. Now I'm all wanting to play "air foil" and confirm my air flow suspicions. So I made a coil on parallel 1/16" drill bits. It's ID is 1/16 x 1/8.

Then I tried 3 different positions in the RM2.

There is a substantial difference in vape quality here. The middle pic, hitting it on edge with the air going underneath is pronouncedly heavy on the throat hit. It is also very strong in the treble end of the flavor spectrum. I'm using a lemonade juice (MisterELiquid, yum) and the acidic flavors are really loud here. The top pic (air going under; but also hitting the flat of the coil) is not nearly as intense; but still is a mellower version of the above description. The last pic (exagerating air flow only to the top of the coil) . . . . well, I thought this would just taste "normal". Instead, I find the flavor to be very muted. No high end at all. Also, though, I'm finding that the TH to clouds ratio is not as direct as I thought it would be; meaning, I'm not getting significantly more vapor on the last version. Now I'll go and try to fine tune the position towards simply enjoying the thing. :)

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
Ok. so I realized I missed something here. Tops, bottoms, and two conversations I've seen on the ECF lately: "Genisis vs." and vertical vs. horiz wicks in RDAs. So . . . .

This wikicoil is getting a bit beat up, with all the tweaking; but . . . . Yes, there is a difference, with a vertical wick, there's no top and bottom with air flow. Heat rises, vapor rises . . . . . . .no top and bottom. This is easily the most well rounded setup of all the above. Flavor, TH, vapor; all the most balanced. (Basically, everything a Genny has going for it, minus the cooked juice in the tank and the anti-gravity bullshistol.)

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
Oh . . . . . he's not done yet? :unsure:

Nope, I'm still messin' :)

What now? :glare:

Well, glad you asked! Since I'm all up in the vertical, I thought I'd try some shapes here too. This one is triangular in cross section. A continuation of the "air foil" theme, if you will . . . . 28gK. OHMS? . . . . . . . "ohm my gosh, my VAMO broke (again)"

It seems that any time I have a face that doesn't "catch the wind", I get some TH. In this case, the back face of the triangular column. However, just the slightest increase in TH, accompanied by that nice full bodied vape that I found previously.

Yeah, so everybody start making triangular coils! . . . . . . . :facepalm:

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
Try wrapping around two tooth picks (or items of similar diameter). It'll give you an oval shape.
Better yet, use two differently sized drill bits to get more of a tear drop/air foil shape.
7yve2uma.jpg

I just did that, Jasl! (↑↑↑) . . . sheesh. I was thinking of two different sized drill bits as well; but I wanted the nextel in there, and it doesn't come in two skinny sizes.

Boy, some of these mad geniuses have the attention span of a five year old. :rolleyes:

;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread