Post to Evaluate Exactly How Much Nicotine We Are Vaping !

Status
Not open for further replies.

SANJP

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2008
LONDON UK
Hi all

I was wondering if any of our clever members can answer this question that has been on my and Im sure loads of E Cig users minds once and for all.​

HOW MUCH NICOTINE ARE WE vaping WITH THESE WONDERFULL NEW GADGETS ?

Lets say I have a 30ml bottle of 36mg juice

Then let say I top my carts up 3-4 times a day​

After reading a post by freddo he worked out 200 drops (standard 30ml Pillbox Bottle) was equal 10ml​

So lets say I use 20 drops a day which equals 1 ml a day​

how much in MG nicotine am I actually inhaling ?​

hopefully answers to this will really help all of us measuring what levels we​

should be vaping compared to our original smoking habits and stop loads​

of members Overdosing ..​

Last edited:

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Nicotine potency in our juice is measured in mg per ml, eg 16mg juice would have 16mg nic per ml. Johnson Creek is an exception to this, they measure mg per 1.2ml so their 24mg juice works out at approximately 18mg per 1ml.

Here are some relevant threads:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/nicotine/2789-eliquid-potency.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/health-safety-e-smoking/3598-nicotine-safety.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ssion/3613-how-much-nicotine-do-you-vape.html

SANJP

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2008
LONDON UK
That can't be right Kate that would mean if we go by your calculations

1ml 36mg Strenth Juice is equal to 36mg of Nicotine

and I smoke 2ml everyday so I vape 72mg of nicotine a day ?

that would mean im vaping 70 times the amount of nicotine I used to smoke !! !!

I used to smoke silk cut 20 a day which was 0.1 per cig or 2 mg Nicotine in a pack.

so my daily intake was only 2mg a day . Now Its 72 mg !! I should be dead right ?

This cant be right !!

Last edited:

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Kate's figures are correct. You are massively overdoing it on nicotine. Massively. That cannot continue without an unwelcome health consequence. 36mg is too high to begin with. You need to concentrate on taking it way down. Cut the liquid like crazy, so you still have vapor but not that killer level of nic. If it's throat hit you want, use Heavy Shag by Janty. It'll make you cough every time you inhale. Order high or medium strength.

SANJP

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2008
LONDON UK
Hi Bob thanks mate but your right the only reason Im on the 36mg stuff is because I tried all the low and mediums and got absolutely no throat hit watsoever

the 36mg give me that every time , just dont want to lose that by diluting it down.

its definately the nic level that gives me the throat hit , some who say its the flavor I

think are confused and not testing using clean atomisers and carts to get a clean result.

Think I will try this heavy shag stuff .

can I get it in the UK without remortgaging my house?

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK

freddo

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
i think what we need to gather from this is that new e-smokers have no clue as to how much nicotine they are getting.

E-liquid suppliers should have guidelines as to how much can be vaped safefly, and tell the smokers how many drips are in a ml from there droppers. This will help people evaluate how much to use to make sure they arn't getting too much. I had to work it out for myself and if i didn't i too could have been easily vaping WAY too much nicotine.

If E-smoking is going to get big then this MUST happen.

deewal

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2008
In a house.
i think what we need to gather from this is that new e-smokers have no clue as to how much nicotine they are getting

Your right there. I have'nt even started thinking about drip smoking yet. I just want to know how much nicotine is in a standard 18mg cartridge. I was lead to believe that one Cart was equal to 20 Real Cigarettes. The Cigarettes i smoked had 0.8mg of nicotine per Cig.So i multiply 0.8mg by 20 gives me 16mg. So a 18mg Cart should be more than 20 Cigarettes... i think :confused: Now i need to know how many ml's of 18mg e-juice to to refill a 18mg Cart ? I was smoking 40 Real Cigs a day which should be equal to 2 Carts a day which is about what i am using.

Schroedinger's cat

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2008
North Carolina, USA
I used to smoke 22 Marlboro lights 100s. They contain 0.7 mg of nic per cig, which means I was taking in a little more than 15 mg nic a day and, boy, was I addicted.

When I started e-smoking, I got myself medium/low liquids (generally, 11 mg -I have a couple of bottles of high, but I add these by the drops). I use a little more than 1 ml a day, which comes to a little more than 11 mg of nic a day, plus I still allow myself 2-3 real cigarettes a day, which comes to about the same amount of nic I was using before.

However, I had quite a few symptoms of nicotine withdrawal (not major, but unequivocal) when I first started e-smoking, while I was still taking in more real cigs, and I am now obviously significantly less addicted.

I can stay in a meeting for 2 hours, and I am not as uncomfortable as I used to be before (nor I do whip out my e-cig). I can have dinner with friends and not think about a cigarette as soon as I am done, and I used to pack 3 cigs between my morning coffee and getting out for work (in less than 1 hour), and now I wake up, get coffe, vape a bit, and leave without feeling low on nicotine.

So, something is not working out here. Either I completely miscalculated the amount I am vaping (but the liqiud goes down visibly from my bottles), or the nicotine is not what is reported, or I am not absorbing that nicotine in the same manner. I actually have the impression that I inhale more deeply with the e-cig (as it is a smoother draw), so it is not the route, either. Also, some of the people here seem to be taking in massive amounts of nicotine, and they should not be feeling so good (with few exceptions, that seems to be the general trend). I wish there were home-tests for cotinine that we could take, as something is not making sense to me here.... Any idea where I am going wrong?

scrubadub

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2008
London, UK
I used to smoke 22 Marlboro lights 100s. They contain 0.7 mg of nic per cig, which means I was taking in a little more than 15 mg nic a day and, boy, was I addicted.

That isn't necessarily true. The nicotine measurement in cigarettes isn't taken from the tobacco itself but from the machine that "smokes" them. If you smoked in exactly the same way as the machine then yes you would have got about 15mg a day. This is unlikely however, some you smoke more quickly, some slower, some harder etc. Two people smoking the same brand are likely to be recieving different amounts of nicotine.

They stopped letting the brands use words like "light" on ... packets in the UK as it was misleading. Smokers take longer and harder drags to up the nicotine they recieve, they self medicate to the level they need. I don't think we're ever going to be able to get an accurate mg/mg comparison between juice and fags because there's no way of knowing how much nicotine you got personally from tobacco.

Schroedinger's cat

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2008
North Carolina, USA
I agree that all these measurements are pretty tentative. My point was mainly that it seems that I am getting similar amounts of nicotine from e-cigs that I was from cigarettes, and yet I seem to be significantly less addicted. I was trying to figure out why. I may have gotten more nicotine from cigarettes than I calculated, and maybe I am getting less than I calculated from e-cigs. But, still, the difference I perceive seems to be more than the one it could reasonably be....

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
I've always thought that I'm less addicted to the nicotine than I was to the smoking habit. My nicotine levels have gone up and down a bit since I started esmoking and I haven't really noticed any problems except that I get a bit fed up when I don't have any at all. The compulsion to smoke has reduced, the habit of smoking has been broken with a new routine. I can go for ages without needing to vape if necessary when in the past I would have been gagging for a cig.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
This difference has been touched on in many other threads, which leads to the conclusion that it's not nicotine, but something else, missing. No matter the nic level, satisfaction remains elusive. I have never, even once, gotten the feeling from vapor that smoking gave me.

And the problem is that trying to replicate that "real" smoking feeling often means upping our nicotine dependence -- not a good thing at all.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
This difference has been touched on in many other threads, which leads to the conclusion that it's not nicotine, but something else, missing. No matter the nic level, satisfaction remains elusive. I have never, even once, gotten the feeling from vapor that smoking gave me.
Hi Tbob,
I know that you've been vaping longer than most and have a great deal of experience of tobacco smoking as well. My question is - have you ever tried a day without 3 pipes of tobacco, snus etc? If so how did you feel? I think that vaping CAN feel like smoking once a couple of days have past without ANY tobacco intake. Just my 2 penn'orth - ymmv.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread