• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Pre-emptive Letter Campaign Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sepper33

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2009
Poprad, Slovakia
Hey yall,
Just seeing all these bans crop up and die across the country makes me wonder if/when
we're next. I don't know about yall, but I wouldn't want it to take seeing a bill pass through any NC legislature to motivate us to write.

If anyone wants to help, we could start sending emails to legislators
and make sure that our state is informed about e-cigs before any of the
BS legislation crosses their desk. Info is our ally at this point, and I think the beauty of the vaping community is our openness to this info, because we know we're using something life-changing. Like I said, I don't want it to come down to fighting tooth-and-nail to keep a bill from being passed, so any help is welcome; this isn't MY thing, it's OUR thing, TOGETHER. We're maybe not a big state in the grand scheme of all things vaping, but I know many of you probably don't want to lose your ability to do so either.

Just a thought. Feedback (positive or negative) welcome. Keep in mind,
I'm not the most up-to-date on the issues being on another continent :) Let's all just hope this storm passes, and we can vape till the cows come home!

Anyone on board?

Last edited:

Jason_in_nc

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2010
It's a secret!
One, I don't have the ability to post in the US Vapers thread. Not sure why.

Two, I think the ECA should get off the pot. There needs to be an organization that allows Vapers to become members and donate money to the overall cause. This isn't just about protecting the suppliers as businesses, it's about protecting us as consumers.

With our money behind them, maybe the ECA or some organization could effectively market and inform legislators and the public so that tobacco companies don't persuade law-makers to legislate us out of town!

January

Feb 8, 2010
Raleigh NC
Hi, guys. :) I have two very good friends in the Legislature (Senator Douglas Berger and Representative John May :toast: ) and have had considerable discussion with them about the e-cigarette, legislation in other states, and the need for a preemptive strike here in North Carolina.

John, who is a new Legislator but an old veteran at legislative maneuvers, has convinced me that is the wrong way to go. :nah: He said it is much easier to kill a bill than to pass a bill. What we need to do is to educate our lawmakers (and policy makers who interpret the law) about the e-cigarette so that they won't have a knee-jerk negative reaction when it does come up. :2cool:

And I think that eventually it will...

Big Tobacco :evil: is still a powerful force in North Carolina and when they feel enough threat from the vaping community they will make a move to have the e-cigarette banned and/or regulated. Somebody is going to HAVE TO introduce the bill because they owe it :glare: to a campaign contributor. But that bill can be killed in committee by legislators who already know the score.

Sen. Berger has never smoked and he nagged me for 20 years to quit smoking, so he is thrilled that my e-cigarette helped me give up the habit. Rep. May :smokie: is still a smoker; I gave him an e-cig kit for his birthday -- :bday: -- now he smokes analogs when he can and vapes when he cannot! (His wife quit with the e-cig kit I gave her:vapor:!) John is now spreading the word and showing off his pvd at the State House.

:2c: When any of you get a chance to speak to your NC Senator or House Representative, make sure they know what an e-cigarette is and what it is not. When the idea of a ban is first floated, we want their reaction to be... "why on earth would we want to do that!?" :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread