Status
Not open for further replies.

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
Have a question for all the folks who are making their own coils and wicks. I've been using mesh and Kanthal A 32 AWG. Not having any problems with the wicks other than my fingers are bleeding from trying to make them as tight as possible, but the bleeding is slowing down. Hopefully, I'll develop calluses soon....lol. The blood burns off when I oxidize the coil. (just joking around)
What I'm curious about is whether I should be heating the resistance wire before making the coil. I've seen a few videos where the "star of the show" was heating the resistance wire before making the coil. I'm not sure how hot one needs to heat the wire or if it needs to be heated at all. I tried heating some of the 32 AWG and got it red hot using a propane torch. I noticed it drooped just past where I was holding it with some pliers. Did I get it too hot? Should I just use a Bic lighter to give it a little touch of heat? I gather the idea behind heating the wire is to make it stay in a coil shape easier -- otherwise, it wants to just spring back to it's original configuration. I'm a little at sea here in terms of what the best approach is. I'd sure appreciate hearing of others experiences and how they deal with the wire. Heat it or not? How hot to get it if heating is helpful? Should I consider using a differnt AWG wire? These are the kinds of questions I'm trying to figure out.
Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
Thanks for the replies -- I really do appreciate them. I think I'll forgo the torch and try using a Bic to heat the wire a little. I have noticed it is less springy after a short heat treatment. I was just concerned that one day when I must have heated it too much and it drooped. I thought it was going to just fall off or stretch to a smaller gauge.
I feel like I'm all thumbs at times trying to wrap the coils and get them nice and neat. But once you get one just right, you can't beat the flavor or vapor. For the cost of wire, it's a great deal and wasting a little to experiment doesn't bother me. I've been reading about some of these monster wire coils of 28 AWG (and larger) and wonder if people are starting to use house current to power their PV's. I haven't done any calculations, but the wattage must be enormous. I know there is one fellow (can't remember his nick right now) who says he rarely uses batteries. I've wondered about that quite bit and have come to the conclusion he is using DC power supply. That's the best I could come up with. I would think he'd need quite a bit of "ooomf" go get that wire and wick hot. What do you all think? He's very active in the 500 mesh monster thread.
Thanks again for the help....... what a great way to get healthy again and also a new hobby.

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
Excellent point, dsy5..... I have noticed since I've started to pre-heat the resistance wire that I don't have a funky taste when I first fire it up. Sort of like sterilizing it before use. Thanks for pointing that out.....
I think I was heating the wire too much before. I'm just using a lighter now and it's working out much better. No drooping of the wire when it's being heated and the springiness is mostly taken out. That used to drive me nuts.... get the coil almost done then slip up somehow and the wire was all over the place.....lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread