Pre-Paid Visa no good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyB

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2010
GA
Next time don't get a throw away pre-paid card, go to walmart and get one of their real pre-paid cards. It is visa and has the logo on it and works as credit or debit. It is also cheaper, $3 to load and $3 a month, or no cost a month if nothing is on the card. I have had mine now for about 2 years and love it, I put $100 on it buy from online places and then leave it empty for a few months till I need it again with NO CHARGES. Also can't over draw it and there are no extra/hidden fees. So get a walmart visa card next time, not their credit card, just the walmart prepaid visa card.

edit - also they mail you a replacement card within the next month of getting it with your name on it for better protection (those throw away ones do not have this)

ImYourSalt

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2009
San Diego, CA
liberty-flights.com
Thanks Miley... Some people have had success with them, others don't. Maybe that's why.

A paypal debit card is probably the best way. I am setting up an account which will allow us to take payment over the phone. So if the is ever an issue at checkout, this should provide a nice failsafe.

I'm sorry you had trouble. If you still havnt sorted it out, send me an email, and I'll fix you up.

Dustydragon

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2010
North Canton, Ohio, United States
Next time don't get a throw away pre-paid card, go to walmart and get one of their real pre-paid cards. It is visa and has the logo on it and works as credit or debit. It is also cheaper, $3 to load and $3 a month, or no cost a month if nothing is on the card. I have had mine now for about 2 years and love it, I put $100 on it buy from online places and then leave it empty for a few months till I need it again with NO CHARGES. Also can't over draw it and there are no extra/hidden fees. So get a walmart visa card next time, not their credit card, just the walmart prepaid visa card.

edit - also they mail you a replacement card within the next month of getting it with your name on it for better protection (those throw away ones do not have this)

it was a Wal-mart pre-paid Visa card lol

VanderVape

Moved On
Nov 17, 2010
Wyoming
I use Greendot. I do hate that you have to make a certain amount of purchases though to not have to pay the monthly 5.95 fee. Otherwise I haven't ever had any issues with it either and my check is direct deposited on my card. I even ordered my partner a card that has her name on it with us being under the same account. You can get these at walgreens and some super markets.

shadowseed

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
TX
A lot of merchant banks do not like the use of prepaid credit cards, though they still allow them to process. Most merchant banks release a monthly update with published BIN (bank id numbers) for known prepaid cards so the processor can decide whether or not to accept prepaid cards. I.E. any website out there can tell if you are using a prepaid card and can decide to just decline the charge (paypal might be doing this?).

Princessa

ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2010
TN
A lot of merchant banks do not like the use of prepaid credit cards, though they still allow them to process. Most merchant banks release a monthly update with published BIN (bank id numbers) for known prepaid cards so the processor can decide whether or not to accept prepaid cards. I.E. any website out there can tell if you are using a prepaid card and can decide to just decline the charge (paypal might be doing this?).

PayPal very well may block 'em - I do know that PayPal won't let me use my PayPal MasterCard as a card (I get 1% cash back if using the card, just paying with PayPal I don't get that bonus - and boy, would it come in handy with my LF orders!). I hadn't tried using a prepaid here, just used PayPal. I did use my WalMart VISA at another vendor (first juice order). What you said makes a whole lot of sense...

francis_a

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2011
The Granite State
I know I'm digging this thread back up but want to get more feedback which prepaid card works.
I don't have any credit cards (got rid of them) and the only way I pay purchases is by prepaid cards, cash or Money Order.

Got items from another vendor using VanillaVisa from CVS and it worked ok. Would've worked at another vendor had the Shopping Cart allow 2019+ expiry.

Please post if you recently used prepaid cards in purchasing from LF {and which card would be great} Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread