Prebending Coil Leads.......Whats The Easiest Way??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wern314

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2013
Erie, Pennsylvania
I see many pictures of coils with perfect uniform bends in the leads and I'm wondering what's the easiest way to do it? Do you just use needle nose pliers or is there a trick to it? Any help is much appreciated.

Here's just an example i copied from another post where the bends are perfect. I just wanna know how cause I can't seem to get mine like this
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422305459.781262.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: sahsah

Wern314

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2013
Erie, Pennsylvania
Nice, you found one of builds on Imgur for the Plumeveil.

I use pliers that are made to hold tiny screws for glasses. They have a slot in them that kanthal fits in pretty nice. :)

iCP0a5Cl.jpg

Thank you G-weezy, yes I really liked you explanation with photos on Imgur it was a big help. Sorry I didn't mean to rip off your photo i was just really impressed with your lead bends. Those pliers are perfect where did you get those if you don't mind me asking? Again thank you.

Wern314

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2013
Erie, Pennsylvania
It's all good. I'm glad it was helpful. That was the reason to post it :). The pliers I got from Hilco. I work in a optical lab so we have those pliers to help insert tiny screws into glasses frames.

I'm sure you can find it on eBay or any store you choose.

It's a small world as I'm a optometry technician myself though I haven't worked with glasses much. Thanks for the reply I'm going to search for those pliers they seem perfect how they have that slot in them.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I second this solution, it has worked for me.

Hey buddy, nice to see ya.

Quick question. Is it easier to take a 90 degree turn in a car or a long fast sweeper?

pause

Why are the physics for electrons any different?

Just sayin'.

That said, magnetic fine tipped tweezers (ceramic too) are extremely useful for everything from helping to thread wicking, picking up small items like screws or fine tuning turns and leads. They will put an instant and perfect angled bend in almost any gauge wire.

I find the most useful tool for creating bends is one that promotes or reinforces symmetry between the leads. That I think goes further to enhance performance than just about anything we do. Well, except building a perfect coil for starters. The face of the shank of an instrument screw driver or pin vise held against an end turn will allow you put strain on a lead and induce a gradual bend, in lieu of a kink. A bend that can be duplicated on the other side. The shaft of a screw driver or drill blank can also be used to induce turn on a predetermined radius based on its diameter. These approaches help us match the lead geometry precisely.

Good luck.

:)

376578d1411647790-micro-coils-increase-vapor-flavor-th-img_1070a.jpg

Reactions: sahsah

CloudKick

Verified Member
Oct 30, 2014
San Clemente, CA
I see many pictures of coils with perfect uniform bends in the leads and I'm wondering what's the easiest way to do it? Do you just use needle nose pliers or is there a trick to it? Any help is much appreciated.

Here's just an example i copied from another post where the bends are perfect. I just wanna know how cause I can't seem to get mine like this
View attachment 406928

The best way to make bends with wires is not with needle nose pliers, it's with round nose pliers, that is what they are made for

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread