Precise ELA Telescoping Mod by Super-T!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cucco

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
Bonita Springs, Florida, USA
My problem is that I have a button on which the locking slide does not work very well. I have cleaned it every way I can think of, short of taking out the ball detent thingy. Regular cleaning works for a couple of days, then it starts to stick again. I suspect the ball bearing part might bee the problem, I just can't get it out without brutal force.

Have not done it yet. Hope one of the 'experts' chime in. Good luck!

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Pris, how the heck do you get that little ball detent thing out of the button? I can't get mine out for love or money. Same goes for both ELA and one of my P+ units. I take off the rhodium plated button part and try to push it out from the back side but it won't budge. What am I missing? I feel like I'm about to break something trying to get it out.

Hi, just saw this, mine just slip out when I take the slide part off. Only thing I can think of is that maybe its stuck with some gunk. You are talking about the little black rod with the ball bearing ( in the photo its on the lower right) If its stuck you might try a toothpick to push it out. If its really stuck maybe a fine screwdriver to push it from under where the contact screws out?

I hope that helps.

eternalsurf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
Tryon, NC USA
This is a pic that I posted back in June when I got my first ELA. This was literally taken the day after I received her. I can't remember all the chemicals I used, but silver chloride was one of them.
senu8u2e.jpg
This looks amazing! I also love the look of the polished brass. Wish I had an extra set of brass bits so I could patina one of them!

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
It's called the "spring plunger for the locking mechanism".
Mine flew out when I cleaned it with a toothbrush. After tearing the entire kitchen sink apart I gave up and ordered spares. 30 minutes after placing the order, my sweetie found it. I'd been sitting on it the whole time I was working on the sink.

Wiz62

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ottawa
It's called the "spring plunger for the locking mechanism".
Mine flew out when I cleaned it with a toothbrush. After tearing the entire kitchen sink apart I gave up and ordered spares. 30 minutes after placing the order, my sweetie found it. I'd been sitting on it the whole time I was working on the sink.

oh man, that would P me off, take everything apart and realizing that it is "right" there....grrrrr! least you found it.

I lost the actual lock itself (the little P mechanism) just a few days after i got it. I got out of the car and locked it before putting it into my pocket. Got upstairs @ work, took it out and realized that the lock was now missing! (choice words come out of my mouth then). Retraced my steps all the way to my car and there she was right by my car door, grabbed it and did the happy dance. I guess i had pushed the lock to far and it slipped out without my noticing it. Needless to say, i now pay attention when i lock it.

Wiz

Riverboat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2012
Arizona

So that what the thing looks like under the locking button.....Its a one piece design.... I was always afraid to push the locking button off, thinking that a spring fly would out and I would never find it.......

As far as cleaning goes the only place I have ever had to wipe down is the atomizer connection threads..
My button, well it smooth as silk so I will leave it alone for now....

Last edited:

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
So that what the thing looks like under the locking button.....Its a one piece design.... I was always afraid to push the locking button off, thinking that a spring fly out and I would never find it.......

Oh you'll find it. After you place the order for spare ones. :)

Riverboat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2012
Arizona
Oh you'll find it. After you place the order for spare ones. :)

I think next time I place an order from SuperT I will ask if I can buy a couple of spares anyway.......just in case.....
For all of you that have sticky buttons.. When mine were new it was real hard to get them to lock/unlock... They need a break in period... Mine is a smooth as glass now.............All my P+s/ELA buttons were like that..........

jamesd1628

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2010
Chattanooga/Ringgold
For all of you that have sticky buttons.. When mine were new it was real hard to get them to lock/unlock... They need a break in period... Mine is a smooth as glass now.............All my P+s/ELA buttons were like that..........

Mine were the same way. I followed David's video on the locking button. Used some 600 grit emery on the slide and a jewlers file on the bevel of the bottom cap. Smooth as silk now.

My sticking lock is on an older P+. The problem is not that the sliding part is too tight in the groove, it seems to be that something is coming out of the hole where the ball detent sits. If you remove the sliding part a few days after a good cleaining, it appears that something resembling rust is covering the ball bearing and the sliding part that rubs against the ball bearing. It comes off easily enough with a tootbrush (almost like dust), but it continues to come back, making the lock hard to operate after a few days. The only thing I can think to do is remove the ball detent and clean out that hole. I just can't get the ball detent out. Using a screwdriver, I have pushed on it pretty hard from the back side (the side opposite the ball bearing), but it won't budge. I'm not sure I want to get a hammer involved.

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
My sticking lock is on an older P+. The problem is not that the sliding part is too tight in the groove, it seems to be that something is coming out of the hole where the ball detent sits. If you remove the sliding part a few days after a good cleaining, it appears that something resembling rust is covering the ball bearing and the sliding part that rubs against the ball bearing. It comes off easily enough with a tootbrush (almost like dust), but it continues to come back, making the lock hard to operate after a few days. The only thing I can think to do is remove the ball detent and clean out that hole. I just can't get the ball detent out. Using a screwdriver, I have pushed on it pretty hard from the back side (the side opposite the ball bearing), but it won't budge. I'm not sure I want to get a hammer involved.

David is the only qualified person for this problem. Hopefully he will come to the rescue.

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012

I just gave everything a bath with hot soapy water. I found my P+ 18490 was a bit stubborn to get the plunger out. First time I've ever cleaned the while mod. After about 15 min of soaking it came right out.
And this time I put the strainer in the sink. Just a thought.

jamesd1628

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2010
Chattanooga/Ringgold
I just gave everything a bath with hot soapy water. I found my P+ 18490 was a bit stubborn to get the plunger out. First time I've ever cleaned the while mod. After about 15 min of soaking it came right out.
And this time I put the strainer in the sink. Just a thought.

Sounds like a good idea, I will give that a try.

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran

Probably is rust, the ball plunger housing is steel, (the ball it holds is stainless). Try a drip of oil on it or maybe if you want to stay away from petroleum products which can attract dust/dirt, maybe try some graphite type lubricant.

Riverboat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2012
Arizona
I just gave everything a bath with hot soapy water.

How do you guys get your mods so dirty that they require a bath? I have never had to do that.... Other then cleaning the atty connection my stays clean. Every now and then I will wipe the threads clean and reapply Noalox....

vapagelife

Verified Member
May 21, 2013
OC, CA
Probably is rust, the ball plunger housing is steel, (the ball it holds is stainless). Try a drip of oil on it or maybe if you want to stay away from petroleum products which can attract dust/dirt, maybe try some graphite type lubricant.
yeah, go to holmes depot and get some key lube.. works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread