Premixed flavors, for adding to pg,vg,nic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Would you guys say they’re pretty accurate with their flavor % suggestions or does it tend to be heavy/light or just all over specific to flavor?.

Flavoring required is a very subjective thing. It depends on your taste buds. It also depends on what it is being vaped in. A subohm DTL tank usually requires considerably less flavor than a MTL device with lower vapor production does.

The % they recommend is usually but not always on the high side at least for my tastes. It isn't really a good idea to mix a large quantity of anything that you haven't tested out. If you don't like it, you are stuck with a lot to suffer through or throw out. It is better to test small quantities starting at a low percentage of flavor to see what you get and go from there. Once you get it to your liking, you can mix large quantities

Some flavors are vapable right after the mix and some need time to bloom. Some require a few weeks of steeping.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
As far as one shots go I would suggest Chef's Flavors LTD. They aren't the cheapest one shot vendors in the world (and they also sell single flavors) but you will have a HUGE selection. Huge. Many have "recommended" percentages (for me after DIY for a long time, often a bit high) and I do use them even as a from scratch mixer because there are some (like dragon fruit mousse) for example that are fantastic and I would have NO idea how to mix.

I will also use one shots and add my own flavors.

Keep in mind what you are getting-- will be as hit and miss as the juices that you have prebought so start small. I have, for example, a "raspberry éclair" one shot that tastes like someone left old prune juice with butter in it that someone left outside to ROT.

But one shots are/can be great, no reason at all not to start there, too.

Anna

Dr. Seuss

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2019
Woot! Got some bottles mixed up to stash. I guess I’m going to just leave them in a dark drawer for 2 weeks and then see if they’re good. I stuck to the recommended % and did 70/30 since that’s what I’m used to from the store.

image.jpg

Do I want to refrigerate the leftover pg, vg and flavorings or should I leave those at room temp to store?

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Do I want to refrigerate the leftover pg, vg and flavorings or should I leave those at room temp to store?
    I have all ingredients in a desk drawer or closed cupboard, I keep my working nic in the fridge. I believe that most folks here do the same.

Dr. Seuss

ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2019
    Tried my first ever DIY ejuice today, Blue Raspberry from Liquid Barn of course. I figured 5 days was an appropriate wait and I must say I do damn fine work ladies and gentlemen. If you’re into Blue Raspberry, their’s is superb.

I added 2ml more of flavoring so it’s at 10%. Going just by this the vape is very noticeably better than store bought, between the fresh nic and I would guess not sitting around in warehouses and shop racks. It puts out a lot more vapor even though I’m fairly confident in my measures (using a syringe though) almost like it has more vg maybe than 70/30 store bought but it should be at 70/30, I dunno.

I’m holding off on the cheesecake and kings custard for another week or so although I did snag a dribble from the bottle tip of the KK and taste it and it tastes rich son, I have a feeling it’s going to be another winner. So all in all good recommendation, I feel like I’ve been missing out on the party by putting off getting into this.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    Tried my first ever DIY ejuice today, Blue Raspberry from Liquid Barn of course. I figured 5 days was an appropriate wait and I must say I do damn fine work ladies and gentlemen. If you’re into Blue Raspberry, their’s is superb.

I added 2ml more of flavoring so it’s at 10%. Going just by this the vape is very noticeably better than store bought, between the fresh nic and I would guess not sitting around in warehouses and shop racks. It puts out a lot more vapor even though I’m fairly confident in my measures (using a syringe though) almost like it has more vg maybe than 70/30 store bought but it should be at 70/30, I dunno.

I’m holding off on the cheesecake and kings custard for another week or so although I did snag a dribble from the bottle tip of the KK and taste it and it tastes rich son, I have a feeling it’s going to be another winner. So all in all good recommendation, I feel like I’ve been missing out on the party by putting off getting into this.

I’m so glad to hear of your success!

People put off learning diy because they think it’s too hard, and they’ll be stuck vaping so-so or even downright nasty juice. It’s just not true. Almost anyone can make very good juice right away, especially with a little help from the community.

Dr. Seuss

ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2019
    I really wish I would have started sooner. I was aware of the financial aspects but I just kept getting “one more bottle” from the store and putting it off... and then massive time passed, how it often does in those scenarios and now that I’m in a hardware race I’m thinking of all the things on my list I could have otherwise picked up. You live and learn, and if you’re me, often the same lessons multiple times.

One of the flavors ended up not being to my liking, so as was warned in this very thread I have 50ml of juice that may be sitting for an extended amount of time untouched. I can’t imagine I mixed it ‘wrong’ but at the same time I can’t imagine anyone would find it enjoyable. One of the profiles of it is milk and it tastes exactly like old expired chunky milk smells, it’s not like “watermelon, and I don’t enjoy watermelon”, it’s more like the milk in it went bad. I’m not sure how that happens given no dairy is in there but, oh well that’s gonna happen. 4/5 ain’t bad.

I think I’ll start off new flavors in 30ml so that I can tweek ingredients and have enough to keep trying until it’s right, or if it’s a complete bomb I can toss it and not feel too bad about wasting resources.

My man Mikepetro mentioned mixing a drop of flavor in water and tasting it just to get an idea of what the flavor has to offer which is a good idea and then when I do my 30’s I’m just going to use pg/vg and if it’s a winner I’ll then add nicotine so that will drop the nic waste down to 0%.

I’ve done a lot of restaurant work and outside of the grind I really enjoy making food ect. so I’m really looking forward to adding that whole mad scientist aspect to vaping and coming up with all sorts of tasty treats.:thumb:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I really wish I would have started sooner. I was aware of the financial aspects but I just kept getting “one more bottle” from the store and putting it off... and then massive time passed, how it often does in those scenarios and now that I’m in a hardware race I’m thinking of all the things on my list I could have otherwise picked up. You live and learn, and if you’re me, often the same lessons multiple times.

One of the flavors ended up not being to my liking, so as was warned in this very thread I have 50ml of juice that may be sitting for an extended amount of time untouched. I can’t imagine I mixed it ‘wrong’ but at the same time I can’t imagine anyone would find it enjoyable. One of the profiles of it is milk and it tastes exactly like old expired chunky milk smells, it’s not like “watermelon, and I don’t enjoy watermelon”, it’s more like the milk in it went bad. I’m not sure how that happens given no dairy is in there but, oh well that’s gonna happen. 4/5 ain’t bad.

I think I’ll start off new flavors in 30ml so that I can tweek ingredients and have enough to keep trying until it’s right, or if it’s a complete bomb I can toss it and not feel too bad about wasting resources.

My man Mikepetro mentioned mixing a drop of flavor in water and tasting it just to get an idea of what the flavor has to offer which is a good idea and then when I do my 30’s I’m just going to use pg/vg and if it’s a winner I’ll then add nicotine so that will drop the nic waste down to 0%.

I’ve done a lot of restaurant work and outside of the grind I really enjoy making food ect. so I’m really looking forward to adding that whole mad scientist aspect to vaping and coming up with all sorts of tasty treats.:thumb:
    The juice will not taste the same without nic no matter how colorless or odorless. I would suggest that you add the nic and do 10ml batches.

rosesense

14 years and counting
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    Really, it changes it that much? That should make for an interesting experiment.:thumb:

I guess I’ll get it to where I think it’s good and then like you suggest mix up a 10ml with nic.

How does it change it? If I had two exact mixes, 1 with nic and 1 without what would I notice different about them?

For me, without nic just seems unfinished, like tasting a flavor by itself. It isn't as full, creamy if that makes sense. That said, I usually do my sft's without nic and only add nic after I determine I like the flavor enough.

Reactions: Dr. Seuss

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    Really, it changes it that much? That should make for an interesting experiment.:thumb:

I guess I’ll get it to where I think it’s good and then like you suggest mix up a 10ml with nic.

How does it change it? If I had two exact mixes, 1 with nic and 1 without what would I notice different about them?

I can always taste nic. Or maybe, it’s not as much a taste as a sensation. Juice without nic is sort of like flat soda.

Reactions: Dr. Seuss

Dr. Seuss

ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2019
    When ya’ll are doing you mixings, how do you handle using a flavor that has no recommendations on the bottle? I picked up some Capella flavors with no starting % on the label. A couple I plan to pair up like cheesecake and strawberry, and then glazed donut and strawberry. Should I just add 5% of each and let it set for a week, try it and go from there?

I was thinking for example strawberry cheesecake, that could become like a 6 month process balancing the cake, and then balancing the strawberry over it. I’m sure there has to be a better thought out process to doing this.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    When ya’ll are doing you mixings, how do you handle using a flavor that has no recommendations on the bottle? I picked up some Capella flavors with no starting % on the label. A couple I plan to pair up like cheesecake and strawberry, and then glazed donut and strawberry. Should I just add 5% of each and let it set for a week, try it and go from there?

I was thinking for example strawberry cheesecake, that could become like a 6 month process balancing the cake, and then balancing the strawberry over it. I’m sure there has to be a better thought out process to doing this.

This guide on reddit gives you a starting point:
    index/starting_percentages - DIY_eJuice

I use ELR for my flavour reviews - if you go there: google e-liquid recipe calculator
    Click on the Resources tab, then click on Flavor List. If you type in your flavour, it should pop up. Click on Notes - and that gives you reviews on the flavour, and what percentages ppl recommend.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread