Prepared, tools, parts, etc. now.... your suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertt81

Verified Member
Jul 3, 2012
Chicago
Well, I'm going to build my first home-made e-cig. I've got my iron, my solder sucker, my ribbon, my helping hands, solder w/flux. I've seen tons of mods, but none are just right. Any suggestions for my first?
I was going to do the puck mod, but radio shack is always out of the battery boxes, I guess the secret's out. I've got an aluminum coleman small coleman waterproof flashlight, only opens on the botton that holds 3 triple A batteries. I've got an old Ego type cheapo that I got absolutely .... rammed on the price of 20 dollars, when the terrible solder broke free, now I have to fix, so I have a couple of ego style carts, a wired 501 connection, a 901 connection, RCA plugs, all the parts from a 10 yr. old PC. All standard tools, dremmel, drill, etc.
Keeping those things in mind, would anyone like to suggest one that is easy for my first one? And btw the Coleman flashlight only opens from the bottom, would have to remove by different means the top. I'm new to soldering, but watching tons of tutorials. Just don't know what to start with get a little confidence, and then move on up to the more complicated ones. Should have the soldering stuff by weekend time, oh yeah, and an old HD projector's parts.
Does it hurt to use thicker insulated battery wires for batteries, or does it need to be rated for that exact voltage, because I can throw stuff together, but I don't want to blow anything up. Anyway, if that strikes up any memories of your first Mod that was simple, it would be cool of you to share. And it would be great if I could re-use some of my e-waste collecting dust. Thanks!
And I'm no electrician but I can follow instructions to a T. So when I say easy, I mean, really easy :). I went looking for those flashlights, with the 9 LEDS, but I can't find any that open on both ends. I've got that exoxy/metal bond stuff too. Anyway, thanks a bunch.

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
The first mod I built was a flashlight mod. I used one of those LED flashlights that cost $1.50. It worked but wasn't very good. By the way, the lens and LEDs can be pushed out from the inside with a long socket from a socket wrench kit and a hammer.

I would suggest building a box mod. It's much easier to wire and will perform better.

I would also recommend using a mosfet so you don't need to worry about the switch failing in a dangerous way.

Fasttech has 510 connectors that work very well for a few bucks. https://www.fasttech.com/products/3023/10011689/2095500

If you want a cheap box, you can get on of these https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10003498/1258801-218650-battery-holder-case-box. It can be used with a single or dual battery. The springs should be replaced with Keystone battery springs. You'll probably want to fill the holes on top with epoxy or cover them with some thin metal or plastic.

Many modders use Hammond boxes.

Here's a diagram.
Mosfet_Dual_Parallel.jpg

Here's a good how-to video that should help.

Last edited:
Reactions: RiverNut
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread