Preventing residue in PC case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
Recently I took apart a laptop that shut down on it's own and then was booting only for 3 seconds and then shut down...

Took apart and saw some residue on the board but also humidity like droplets on the board near in inlet and outlet of the fan hahahaha ofc :p

Cleaned it and then all works good again....but yeah it was like 3months using this laptop in a cloudy room without any air purifier or anything tho :D

Just saying

Reactions: Haktuspit

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Recently I took apart a laptop that shut down on it's own and then was booting only for 3 seconds and then shut down...

Took apart and saw some residue on the board but also humidity like droplets on the board near in inlet and outlet of the fan hahahaha ofc :p

Cleaned it and then all works good again....but yeah it was like 3months using this laptop in a cloudy room without any air purifier or anything tho :D

Just saying

What's a fast and safe way to clean a motherboard?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

I've cleaned Many Boards used in Industrial Application with Rubbing Alcohol and Acid Brushes.

You gotta go Slow. Because the Bristles on an Acid Brush can snag on Solider Points or Small Components. But Acid Brushes work Much Better than Q-Tips or Cloth.

Rubbing Alcohol is also Safer to use around Plastics that some things like Contact Cleaner.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens

alcohol like 99.5% or how it's called isopropyl alcohol...

And I use a nice and big like teethbrush kind of brush I prefer soft.....somepeople dump whole boards into alcohol but I don't agree that's safe it depends on the board

I have used also rubbing alcohol that was 90% or more cause if it's lower it contains glyceryn like 70% alcohol or something is bad cause it's tooo oily in my opinion.

Last edited:

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    Best I can get is 91% without borrowing against my home. :D Even 91% is hard to find and expensive.

Wow weird here I get from supermarket 500ml 91% 1.7euro and 71% 1.34euro
    I thought in USA u gonna be able to get like 50 gallons 5 bucks cause u guys there go massive on everything :p

Joking lol stereotypes

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Wow weird here I get from supermarket 500ml 91% 1.7euro and 71% 1.34euro
    I thought in USA u gonna be able to get like 50 gallons 5 bucks cause u guys there go massive on everything :p

Covid-19.

I can usually find 70% no problem. But 91% not easy.

Reactions: Superuser187

Haktuspit

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Feb 13, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Covid-19.

I think this is back to normal now that no one besides me is using hand sanitizer anymore. And even then you can just buy hand sanitizer. 91% is showing in stock on both Amazon and at my local grocery via Instacart.

Reactions: Superuser187

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    Covid-19.

Now with covid those things are on high demand I guess that's why...
    100% isopropyl alcohol is the proper thing to use for cleaning electronics and that is really expensive here also and hard to find now cause of covid people use it and delute with water :(

In your case ofc I would use also 70% alcohol but after that I would do cleanup with q tips on few things like connectors plugs and pins for sure and stuff like that to remove any glycerin for better contactivity....
    especially if we talk about smartphones or other electronics that have those tiny ribbon cables and that kind of connections and manage very tiny voltages and amps....I have seen problems happen by that even if with naked eye seems clean

• Useful

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    I think this is back to normal now that no one besides me is using hand sanitizer anymore. And even then you can just buy hand sanitizer. 91% is showing in stock on both Amazon and at my local grocery via Instacart.

Hand sanitizers tho sometimes contain aromas and other things inside so it's good to make sure it's a more pure type of sanitizer based of alcohol ofc or isopropyl or ethanol or however they usually call it :D

Haktuspit

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Feb 13, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Hand sanitizers tho sometimes contain aromas and other things inside so it's good to make sure it's a more pure type of sanitizer based of alcohol ofc or isopropyl or ethanol or however they usually call it :D

Sorry I wasn't clear. The 91% was out of stock because people were using it to make hand sanitizer when there was none. That's all settled down now and regular 91% isopropyl alcohol is back in stock from what I can see in the USA.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    Sorry I wasn't clear. The 91% was out of stock because people were using it to make hand sanitizer when there was none. That's all settled down now and regular 91% isopropyl alcohol is back in stock from what I can see in the USA.

Sorry also seems like I didn't understand :D I read again....my English are not good hahahah

X-Puppy

Cloud Hound!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 13, 2013
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    I've cleaned Many Boards used in Industrial Application with Rubbing Alcohol and Acid Brushes.

You gotta go Slow. Because the Bristles on an Acid Brush can snag on Solider Points or Small Components. But Acid Brushes work Much Better than Q-Tips or Cloth.

Rubbing Alcohol is also Safer to use around Plastics that some things like Contact Cleaner.
    Agree, this is what we use in the industry. I've built and repaired circuit boards for many years. The alcohol and acid brush is what we eventually went to after we were no longer allowed to use heated Freon tanks. Recirculating water washers after reflow only work until you add more moisture sensitive components. BGA's CPU's and such.

I was wondering about this myself because I just purchased a new video card for a 3 monitor setup. I've been putting it off because I know I have to clean my PC first. I vape in my home office and its pretty crusted right now. I do have a big enthusiast case with plenty of airflow though. Still, its going to be some work. :blink:

For those who want higher % alcohol you could always use Everclear? PGA.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Agree, this is what we use in the industry. I've built and repaired circuit boards for many years. The alcohol and acid brush is what we eventually went to after we were no longer allowed to use heated Freon tanks. Recirculating water washers after reflow only work until you add more moisture sensitive components. BGA's CPU's and such.

I was wondering about this myself because I just purchased a new video card for a 3 monitor setup. I've been putting it off because I know I have to clean my PC first. I vape in my home office and its pretty crusted right now. I do have a big enthusiast case with plenty of airflow though. Still, its going to be some work. :blink:

For those who want higher % alcohol you could always use Everclear? PGA.

Yeah... As a Contract CNC Programmer, I have a been involved with many Companies. It is amazing how much Gunk can accumulate on CNC Control Boards in those companies that use Soluble Oil as a Cutting Fluid.

I've seen Axis Boards that are literally Dripping with Gunk.

Even Synthetics can cause Build-Up. But Spray Mist Soluble Oils are the Worst.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    Guys I know filters can decrease the airflow in the case but if u have a case with lots of fans maybe u could use filters to keep the gunk out of the case and still have decent airflow????

I know some cases include filters but I think those keep only dust out and maybe won't work with vapor but I wonder if using any other type of filter like the filter we use on the kitchen stove cooking fan? (I don't know how it's called) maybe that could work?
    Or any other hepa kind of filter? Hahahah

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Guys I know filters can decrease the airflow in the case but if u have a case with lots of fans maybe u could use filters to keep the gunk out of the case and still have decent airflow????

I know some cases include filters but I think those keep only dust out and maybe won't work with vapor but I wonder if using any other type of filter like the filter we use on the kitchen stove cooking fan? (I don't know how it's called) maybe that could work?
    Or any other hepa kind of filter? Hahahah

Yep... Foam Filters can Help. As long as you Clean the Often. And you Only need them on the Intake Fans.

BTW - On PC Cases, I like to Cutout the Outlet Fan Perforations. And then just use a Wire Fan Grille to keep Clumsy Finger out of Harms Way.

BTW2 - If you Cut-Out the Perforations on a PC Case, and use Wire Fan Grilles, mount the Fan using 2 Screws. Then mount the Fan Grill using the other 2 Screws.

That way you can take the Fan Grille off to clean the Fan's Fan Blades (using, you guessed it, an Acid Brush and Rubbing Alcohol) without the Fan falling out.

Last edited:

tokarev

ECF Veteran
    Jan 25, 2009
    Tennessee, USA
    Been lurking in this thread for a while now. Just want to point out that 99% isopropyl alcohol is available all over Amazon. It's more expensive than the 91% you find in the drugstores but not that bad. I see one listing for a gallon at $14.99. Just search for 99% isopropyl alcohol. It's still cheaper than special purpose contact or pc board cleaners. You can find acid brushes there too. I use those to clean my coffee grinder.

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    12702-first-world-problems-template.jpg

Bravoroni

Jun 16, 2021
    Oh wow, this thread is an eye-opener for me. I’m an avid PC gamer. I used to smoke cigarettes heavily while using my PC, and I always would see dust / specs of ash in the case.

However I thought vaping would be fine since it doesn’t produce ash / dust. I was totally unaware of the residue it creates. Gonna stop vaping in my PC room. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, because I’ve been blowing clouds like a fog machine while gaming thinking it had no effect on the PC!

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Oh wow, this thread is an eye-opener for me. I’m an avid PC gamer. I used to smoke cigarettes heavily while using my PC, and I always would see dust / specs of ash in the case.

However I thought vaping would be fine since it doesn’t produce ash / dust. I was totally unaware of the residue it creates. Gonna stop vaping in my PC room. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, because I’ve been blowing clouds like a fog machine while gaming thinking it had no effect on the PC!

Just an Observation...

I have seen some people say that they get Terrible Residue on their Computers. And Many others (like myself) Don't get Any at All. It seems Contradictory that some Do and some Don't.

But what I have Noticed is that the people who are getting Residue all seem to live somewhere that has High Humidity. Where those who Don't live where Humidity isn't a big deal.

I work at a Desk for Long Hours that has a Center 25" Widescreen. And on both sides are 19" 5:4 Monitors. And I use High VG DIY. So I'm constantly blowing Vapor on at least one screen. About Once a Year I will clean the Screens just for the sake of Cleaning. But they really aren't all that Dirty.

Same with the 3 PC's in that room. About once a year I do a Complete detail of the Insides. Aside from Normal Dust, they look about the same as those that come from Non-Smoker/Non-Vaper people I know. So Vape Residue for me is a Complete Non-Factor.

But... I live where High Humidity is Rare. And I have an Open Window in that room just about Year Round.

So like Most things Vapewise, YMMV. And Don't get Too Worried about Vape Residue. Because it Doesn't effect everyone.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread