Status
Not open for further replies.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Op - seems to me you are looking in the wrong direction and blaming the wrong thing.

If you changed - juice Brand/Vender and the tank went to pooh then I'd think it just may have something to do with their blending.

For performance there are 4 factors - Power/Air Flow/Proper wicking/e-liquid Blend.
Wrong power setting
Wrong Coil wrap
Blocked air way
High PG
Any of these will effect outcome.

If you like the flavor try finding it in another blend or from a different vender in a higher Vg.

I've been rebuilding my protank for a few months and just for giggles I took out the flavor wicks and took it down to 1.4 ohms. Vapor production shot up when using a 5/6 wrap of 30 gauge on a 1.5mm ekowool wick. Personally I think the flavor wicks detract from the long term flavor, so I just take them out/leave them out when I build. Some of my coils have lasted up to a month, but usually I just take them apart again for giggles.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
As others have pointed out, 10w is too hot. What's happening is that the wicks are unable to supply liquid to the coil as fast as your vaporizing it with that energy level. In order to get better performance, you'd have to drastically improve the wicks' ability to transfer liquid and doing that on a BCC is likely to increase the chance of leaking and gurgling.

The sweet spot for BCC systems tends to be between 7-8w, with perhaps 0.5 play on either side.

Back the power down and see if the burnt taste goes away. But do it with a new coil--you may have doomed the first one.

Apex Kodiak

Verified Member
Jul 19, 2013
hawaii
Well some updates, attempted a micro coil last night, but all I had was a lighter and couldnt get the coil hot enough to stay tight and I was having the same issues useing a cotton wick. I may be doing the cotton wrong... I got my last new head and put that in amd kept it at 8w and it seems to be vaping okay for now. I will try that setup again when I get a proper torch. 6.5w is producing vapor albeit a little thin, and the flavor is muted a bit. I looked at the original I made, and it did seem tight so I trashed it. I have a hard time wrapping the wire around only the wick, the micro coil was 10 wraps around a 5/64 drill bit, but like I said I couldnt get it hot enough with a lighter to stay tight, although it glowed even. Based on my tinkering, and your responses it does seem to be wick and heat issues. Ive turned the heat down, but I still want to rebuild these heads myself and I can't seem to get the wick part in a tank like this. It's easy in an rda, and people like rip trippers on youtube seem to use the perfect ammount of cotton. Maybe im useing too much and rolling it to tight? The micro coil thread said it should be loose in the coil, whereas mine wasnt.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
You did try heating the wire before turning the coil I hope?

I never have a problem passing the wire through the flame of a bic lighter(When straight) then wrapping.
Give a straight pin a try for wrapping wick only. A little snug is ok as the coil will be a bit looser once the pin is pulled.
I leave mine in until I have the coil mounted and center pin back in place. then just pull it out.

mrhan

Sep 3, 2013
I was having the same problems but after a few modifications this protank hits like a champ.

1. I moved to the 1.8 ohm coils to get a warmer vape.
2. I removed both flavor wicks and replaced one with some cotton wick (Peaches and Cream from Walmart)
3. Plugged one of the air holes with a toothpick

I ran through a full tank and was still getting some random burnt taste so I decided to take it one step further. I made a much longer cotton wick, rolled the ends with some ejuice and slid them down into the tank. My Bobas Bounty never tasted so good!! Not one dry or burnt hit and no flooding.

I was just about to toss the Protank but I am glad and didn't

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1378163463972.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378163463972.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 19

mrhan

Sep 3, 2013
I get a burn hit almost directly after my new coil...I'm going to search the thread again but dang if I'm not getting upset. Two days of primo vaping and now burn taste...heck

Once you burn that flavor wick that sits ontop of the coil its good game for that one, does not matter how long you let it soak it will still taste burnt. I would remove the flavor wick, put another one in and before you but the stove pipe on, drop some juice on top and let that soak up and then re assemble. Before putting the tank on your mod, blow threw the mouth piece into a napkin to ensure proper juice flow. Works every time for me.

Bobas is my adv so I find with 100% VG or other thick juice, if you flip the gasket upside down it allows for better wicking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread