Problems with Tenergy 14500 batteries. and what is this legacy thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jova3

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
El Paso currently
I have about 3 of the green batteries that have burnt up/melted stuff.
The first one, I felt something burning in my pocket. I pulled out my cell phone and the pouch I keep my spare battery in, and the pouch was smoking. I emptied the battery out and watched it melt away the plastic parts to it. The other two burnt on the charger about a month apart. Ruining the charger.
The red 14500 batteries are perfectly fine.
The only thing that I've done differently lately is I got a new cell phone that has NFC capabilities. I've tried to look up if NFC can somehow set off the IC chip, but I can't find any info on that. All of the batteries were over 6 months old. Is this something that's normal? The battery in my pocket hadn't been used at all that day, and had nothing metal touching the ends.

Also, I just logged onto puresmoker to order some more juice and batteries and a new charger. What's this legacy thing? How does it compare to the Icon? I've been using my Icon with an 801 head and an 801-510 adapter to fit my DCtank. Has been working great for me.

milo hobo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2011
Lake Charles La
Batteries, IDK, but I don't trust tenergy batteries, I only use the red ones.

Legacy. Thinkof it as incorporating years of experience into developing a fully mechanical mod (like the icon) that includes bottom vents, non conductive spring, thicker threads, able to use the kick, and 18XXX batteries (thicker around than the icon).

It come in two styles: standard and mini with extention sleeves available.

Mostly the same as the icon, but bigger and better designed.

jkmtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Lebanon TN
I have about 3 of the green batteries that have burnt up/melted stuff.
The first one, I felt something burning in my pocket. I pulled out my cell phone and the pouch I keep my spare battery in, and the pouch was smoking. I emptied the battery out and watched it melt away the plastic parts to it. The other two burnt on the charger about a month apart. Ruining the charger.
The red 14500 batteries are perfectly fine.
The only thing that I've done differently lately is I got a new cell phone that has NFC capabilities. I've tried to look up if NFC can somehow set off the IC chip, but I can't find any info on that. All of the batteries were over 6 months old. Is this something that's normal? The battery in my pocket hadn't been used at all that day, and had nothing metal touching the ends.

Also, I just logged onto puresmoker to order some more juice and batteries and a new charger. What's this legacy thing? How does it compare to the Icon? I've been using my Icon with an 801 head and an 801-510 adapter to fit my DCtank. Has been working great for me.

The one in your pocket was no doubt caused by some kind of interaction with, possibly your cell phone, change, keys or something. When I carry a battery in my pocket I always have it in a battery case.

The ones with the charger likely was the charger, what kind of charger was it? Its highly unlikely, statistically speaking, that you would have 2 batteries fail on a charger with in a month unless they have been mistreated or the charger is faulty in some way.

jova3

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
El Paso currently
Two different chargers. Mine and my wife's. The charger we got with our icon start up kits.
48b21d3d-fed5-c7c2.jpg

My pouch.
48b21d3d-fefc-6ebd.jpg

My wife's battery
48b21d3d-ff2a-7c9a.jpg

One of my batteries. That's the one that burnt up in the pouch in my pocket.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jkmtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Lebanon TN
It could still be the charger(s), there are a number of variables here. That brand of charger I don't know well enough to say, but the charger itself may have been charging the batteries too fast, you mentioned you have some of the AW IMRs and those are fine, which would make sense given all that I have read, that they, being IMR chemistry, would be able to handle a higher rate of charge compared to an ordinary Li-ion. That would be my best guess, but I'm no expert. Cash may have a better idea.

The one in the pouch like I said was almost certainly interacting with something in your pocket.

Sorry to hear about your battery issue. I have not personally experienced those problems. What I can tell you is that I have had my Legacy (first mod for me:) for a few months and I am completely happy with it. It is solid and I don't worry about parts and pcb's breaking. I am ready to move into the world of vv soon but, may try the "kick" with my Legacy just for......kicks. Legacy is worth every penny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread