Prodigy reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

tescela

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
Here is a great review...

Compared to the regular passthroughs, it kills them...A 2-3 second draw is more than a satisfactory hit... It throws a very nice throat shock each and every draw with minimal effort from you. I puff on it more like I had analog cigs than I ever did a regular e-cig. Primer puffs arent needed, you dont need to draw for 7+ seconds to get a good hit, and the large plume of vapor makes it hard to see someone standing right in front of you.

As far as the comparisons to the GG and Screwdriver, well, I havent used those. I can say my opinion on its looks is higher than my opinion that the GG or screw driver. I think the placement of the switch is excellent compared to what I have seen of those. The fact that it is made right here in the good ole' US of A makes it even better.

I would most definitely give the 801 a shot if you didn't already pick the adapter for it up because it is wonderful at 5v.

My liquid tastes a whole lot stronger of the flavors that I am using. Ive mainly been on cola, menthol, and a caramel blend...all taste better than they did with the old batteries.

:thumbs:

tescela

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
Another review...

Ok i'm learning how to use this better..I just got a good head rush..that hasnt happened in a long time lol....Anyways I'm learning i have to screw in the atomizer all the way in and then turn it back 1/4 or 1/2 turn for there to be a solid connection. Can someone else try there bestecig 801 atomizers to see if they fit..I'm glad i held off on buying 20 before it came. So far the generic and original atomizers work just fine although i like the generic better right now it gets HOT!

I must say i'm loving this thing!!

Last edited:

tescela

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
Another review...

WHOA.... I have an awesome head rush and am wreathed in a massive cloud of vapor.

And I can't stop vaping.

This by far the most smooooooooth vape I have ever experienced. Tasty too.

In fact, I find that I get more flavor without a cartridge in place. Never thought clove eliquid could be so delicious and smooth. I see now why people like to drip.

With a cartridge in place I find that the atomizer's high ridge pushes the fluval core I use almost a 1/4" back- and the liquid is vaporized very fast. I am on my second cart within 1 hour of heavy vaping!

You did a MOST EXCELLENT job Steve! This is hands down my vaporizer of choice.

Cheers!

tescela

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
Yet another review...

One word: amazing. My Prodigy arrived today. The 801 atomizers I had on hand are a perfect snug fit. The end cap required hubby's assistance to completely attach...nothing major...according to him: "you're just a girl." ; P I imagine the spring will give in time...or it would be easy enough to adjust if necessary. I'm using an 801 atomizer, with a 901 adapter on order. While I'm only able to compare it to an 801 penstyle, a 901 mini, and a few misc. disposable e-cigs, I believe I have located my permanent vaping apparatus. I will have to adjust my draw...as it produces such an extreme amount of vapor that I coughed for a bit. You can hear the juice sizzle when you depress the button...and a very slight draw is all it requires (for me, anyway). I am pleasantly surprised to discover that I didn't notice a flavor loss with the 801...which I was concerned about. The atomizer runs a bit warmer...which I expected. This may consume a bit more liquid...but I'm fine with that...when considering the increase in vapor production. Four months and several hundred dollars later...this is what I've been looking for. Initially, I wanted something that had the look/feel of a "real" cigarette. Now, I simply want something that I'm not constantly charging/changing batteries/struggling with it to get good flavor/vapor. This is it!

franklyspeaking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2009
Arlington, Texas
www.pharceapp.com
Having spent a few days with the Prodigy as my primary vapeing device I have some initial impressions I’d like to share. The overall size of the Prodigy is large but fits easily in the hand and is much more concealable than one would think. The button placement is optimal for an ergonomic feel to the hand. The button appears to be robust and has a good feel and tactile response. The entire unit is modular allowing for quick and easy troubleshooting and parts replacement, if necessary.

The 3v Tenergy batteries seem up to the task of delivering consistent power for about 80% to 90% of the battery life. Other big battery “Factor X” devices (My new name for Manufactured Mod devices, since it seems unfair to call the Scewdriver, Janty Stick, GG and now Prodigy Mods, they are not Mods) have less expensive batteries and this is compounded even further by the fact that the Prodigy takes two batteries. The overall life (number of cycles) may be greater than the cheaper batteries in other Factor X devices, if that is the case than it will be a plus to the Prodigy and this area should be monitored going forward to determine whether it is a boon to the Prodigy or not.

The Base Spring plate of the prodigy is solid aluminum and could be a little thicker and textured to make screwing and unscrewing easier. The aluminum spring is compression fit into the plate so it easily snaps off. It is easy to put back on but could be an issue as it would make it easy to lose the spring. Based on a few posts this may be addressed in the future.

The adapters are a work of art. Solder-less, machined brass and aluminum. Adjustable. The only issue with the adapter is when changing them, the pressure from the batteries forces the switch out the top of the Prodigy. This can be helped with some agile finger placement or by unscrewing the base plate to relieve the pressure from the batteries. Enough said.

The button slides out of the top of the unit easily with the adapter unscrewed. The solder joints on the back of the switch housing that connects the positive terminals, the switch and resistor look to be very durable.

The vapor production is absolutely superb. Anyone who has vaped 3.7 volts and wished for more or vaped 6 volts and wished for a bit cooler and less harsh experience will be pleased. The flavor is not lost; the vapor is warm but not hot and very thick with only a 3 to 5 second draw. The Prodigy will make a good atomizer great and a great atomizer superb. Once you receive your prodigy go through all of your old atomizers and retest them. Some that didn’t make the cut before may be back in the fold.

Simply put, the bar has been raised. Not just from a manufacturing standpoint but from a user one as well. The “must look like a cig” form factor of the Mini and Super Mini are dead. Long live the future of Factor X devices.

The Prodigy, given any unexpected issues, will easily take its place among the Factor X devices and yet set itself apart as the only device to deliver 5 volts. A sweet spot, indeed.

Last edited:

invidregis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2008
Chicago, USA
I'll start with the cons since there aren't any after a day of vaping.
None, bla, bla, bla... Words....

Pros:
Looks, I love the Font, reminds me of my love of antique vehicles. Looks like a 57 Chevy Bel Air. If Steve finds a way for "Prodigy" not to be filled in it will be gorgeous.

Much thinner than I pictured. Why did I think it was fatter, I guess I could have been wearing my wife's glasses at the time.

Modular, this is a huge plus. One device that uses multiple atomizers with out having to extend the device with an other tube. Any failures of the switch are easily replacable by the USER.

Power, I have never vaped a 6 volt. Saying that, if there was a citronella juice the Prodigy would chase mosquitoes away for blocks. The Prodigy vapes just like my homemade pass through powered by an AC-USB adapter, without the need to lug my house around for power.

Convience, The little well on the atomizer connector it genius. With my passthrough I was constantly getting juice leaks on my hands. No more. Any CR123 3v will do ya, I had 8 charged and waiting and still on the first set. In a pinch you could buy 3v disposable CR batteries and get the same power.

I do have a few sugestions and tips. Back to my love of antique cars, a 2 tone Prodigy with the "Prodigy" in bare metal... WOW. Red/White or Teal/White woild be amazing.
The Spring could colapse into itself instead of stacking. For example I have higher button tops on my batteries so I had to clip the spring half way to accodimate them. If the spring coiled into it self there would be more room.

All in all, We have a winner. A one size fits all power house. I dig it, and it will be my #1. These are just my opinions, I hope you enjoy them.

P.S. Steve, If you read this I am sending you a PM with a question.

Edit: Not the heavy vaper i used to be, the batteries lasted from 5pm-12:30pm

Last edited:

tropic420

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
pittsburgh, pa
I agree with frankly that the endcap could be knurled while machining only takes a second and/or could be thicker. On another note, I was wondering if you can by pass the resistor by placing something across the two leads? and would this give you 6v? also, I bent the battery coil spring so that the end goes across and gets better contact. Thats the only things I can see and they are very minor mostly nitpicks.

vaporize me

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Chester, PA USA
First impressions....

Please understand that the only other PV that I've ever tried and owned was an EVO/Pilot/M401 and a cheaply made PT on a Kensington Power Pack @ 5v.

I have never used a 901 or an 801 and until recently (after I pre-ordered I had stocked up on some attys for both) never even seen an atty for them. On a side note, dripping will take some getting used to because the atty is way down in the tube as opposed to being exposed on a 401. I feel as though I have to be a sharp shooter to drip directly onto the atty.

That being said...

The unit itself is much smaller than I envisioned. The way some people had described it (the people that don't even have one and were making a biased statement about its size) were way off IMHO. Of course the unit had to be bigger than most because of the two battery capacity. The construction and finish are top notch. The adapter is beautifully designed and a work of art.

I had no problems assembling it. The spring on the end cap is strong and will probably stand the test of time because of it. Screwing the end cap back on, although not that much of a problem, it would have been better designed if it had a push..turn..click mechanism but that is only my opinion..maybe for v2.

Now for the best part...

I carefully "sharp shot" the juice onto the atty and hit the button. First it sounded like a vacuum cleaner..I guess it was that nasty primer burning off along with the juice. I took a long toke and I felt the warmth of the vapor enter my mouth. When I inhaled, I literally thought my head was about to explode with the throat hit. It actually made me cough. My juice never tasted this good before..I was utterly amazed. I am now going to have to cut the nic in my juices because I'm feeling a bit dizzy as I type this. I didn't think that the Prodigy was going to be any different from my 401 and power pack. I just thought that it was great that I was going wireless, lol. Boy was I wrong. This thing is the ultimate, PERIOD!!! It blows away my 401 on a PT.

The learning curve, using a manual switch, was not a biggie at all. Thankfully my 30+ years of martial arts training helped with the coordination, I guess. Picked it up like it was second nature. The switch is logically placed and all in all it just has a comfortable feel to it.

BTW, this is on an 801. I will fiddle with the 901 adapter later.

Steve and Puresmoker has now set the standard for others to be compared to. Congratulations on such a fine product!!!

Thank you Steve for making this product using the "sweet spot" at 5v. It is perfect!

Like I have said many times in the past "Steve you ARE the man!!!"

Last edited:

izark

Jan 4, 2009
Pennsylvainia USA
After several months of steady vaping, I found the Prodigy being pre-ordered. I immediately ordered it and just today received it. It is awesome. Now to find a doctor to re-insert my eyeballs back into my sockets from sucking bad batteries trying to get the micro switch to turn on. and is the under warranty?

Fit and finish are excelent. It looks to be well made and appears to rugged. The parts fit well together, and the adapter is nice as it has no place for leakage. I would like to see a steel spring instead of the aluminum one as the aluminum one will degrade quite rapidly over time. All of the 801 atomizers that I bought from PureSmoker work fine on it. But it appears that the threads on the adapter don't extend up far enough for it to work on my atomizers for the 801 that I got from another supplier. Yes i had to purchase from another supplier since the drought, lol. I would suggest that the threads extend up a bit so all atomizers in a size fits. I'm not sure if it is the Threads or the center contact that is too high. I am reluctant to try and mod it yet to avoid warranty issues. I also am very pleased that the switch has not been pined in. this allows for easy replacement.

I agree that the bottom cap should be either knurled or a quarter slot for unscrewing the bottom cap.

All and all I would give it about a 8 out of 10 as far as what is availible I have never seen a 10. It would get very high marks if all 801 atomizers fit.

Thank
Izark

tescela

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
I am now going to have to cut the nic in my juices because I'm feeling a bit dizzy as I type this.

I've noticed that this appears to be a common refrain with Prodigy users, so perhaps we should call attention to it.

It sounds like people might want to prepare their juice supplies for dropping a grade (e.g. 16mg to 11mg) when switching to the Prodigy. FWIW, I plan to make this adjustment from my very first vape on the Prodigy, in order to avoid running the risk of adjusting to what appears to be a higher level of nicotine making it into the blood stream. Users are commenting that juice taste is enhanced when using the Prodigy, so perhaps the decrease in juice nicotine levels may be accomplished by simply diluting your original juice with PG or VG (depending on your preference). The diluted juice may then produce flavor similar to what users were used to enjoying prior to switching to the Prodigy.

Based on users' comments, it also appears that the Prodigy delivers a more rapid transmission of nicotine to the brain than we are used to with non-Prodigy electronic cigarettes (perhaps something more akin to what we were used to experiencing with analogs?). Whereas tobacco companies apparently accomplished something like this in the past by manipulating pH, the raw material (juice) here is constant, so it would appear that an increase in temperature somehow boosts nicotine uptake to the users' brain.

It would be great to see this further explored in another thread (i.e., not in this thread, which is dedicated to Prodigy reviews). In the meantime, I am pointing this out so that vapers -- many of whom have a stated objective of progressively decreasing (and certainly not increasing) their nicotine intake -- are prepared to adjust juice nicotine levels downward when switching to the Prodigy.

Last edited:

Jayisbored

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Brooklyn NY
Figured I'd give an update after a day of use. I brought it to work today and i can vape between jobs...so on my off time i vape constantly....Batteries seemed to last me about 5-6 hours. The drop off of when the batteries are dieing is very noticeable to me as in one minute i have alot of vapor then the next pull its like whoa dead batteries coming.
Right now i switched from a RN atomizer to a be112 and the draw is much much smoother. I think i'll go back to the RNs when i get some more, I like the harsher pull i guess. I did have one problem with loading up my cart then dripping some in the atomizer. I think the atomizer was on to tight and filled to much so when i took a pull there was to much suction and very little air coming through the holes, I sucked in about 3 ml of juice...tasty! As far as the juices go they all taste slightly different now compared to and 801/901 with a standard battery. They all tasted great and like the flavor they were supposed to be(lets be honest very few taste exactly what they're supposed to be to begin with)
Seem pretty rugged as far as my clumsy ... dropping it and being in a generally rough environment. I have my first little scratch on it but thats to be expected from someone who cant hold on to scotch tape. All in all Its going to be a great at home/work vaporizer and its exceeded my expectations. Now to find a goin out drinking e-cig I'm tired of my 901...Me needs a mini Prodigy like NOW! ;D

I just wanted to edit to agree with the post above me...Nic absorption seems to be higher now...If i dont take a break from vaping I can feel a slight head rush coming on...I need to go out and get some PG to add to my juices

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread