Status
Not open for further replies.

prof beard

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
Stafford UK
II'm Why?

Back in January, I saw a post from minECIG about the Mini and MicroDrip RDAs. I was particularly struck by the low price for an authentic original design, so I ordered a MicroDrip which the idea of using it on my Pre use Simplicity 14500s... The total cost $25 including shipping from Israel...

There were a number of delays, which miniECIG very honestly admitted were due to quality issues and they were delaying shipping until they were happy. In the end my MicroDrip arrived on the 7th April, narrowly avoiding miniECIG winning the "Prof beard Super Dave award for the maximum order to delivery time" which is still held by David at Super T for the wait I had in late 2009/early 2010 for my Super Six :)

The MicroDrip

No fancy packaging here, just bubble wrap around a zip bar containing a spare o-ring and the MicroDrip (please note it is not fully tightened up in this shot):

2007bl2.jpg

Here is the connector:

674ck6.jpg

and the drip tip end:

t03vhx.jpg

Here is the deck. Airflow enters via the hole in the side of the deck's base and flows over the coil from the central airflow "tube":

2ahtnbb.jpg

The positive and negative posts are either side of the airflow tube (you can see the insulator on the positive side) and there are nice deep juice wells:

2hclz5z.jpg

The top cap unscrews from the barrel (the threading on the top cap is fairly coarse and care is needed when replacing it - it is a "multistart" thread designed for quick removal but doesn't seem to aid quick replacement):

saw6ld.jpg

The threading for attaching the barrel to the deck is much finer and works well:

2ur0a4j.jpg

The post screws are sensibly sized Phillips screws and provide adequate connection for the sizes of wire likely to be used on this type of atomiser:

16h5ekm.jpg

I built this coil using 0.2mm machined twisted Kanthal:

25kkd34.jpg

It measured out at a conservative 0.9ohms:

2w1zgub.jpg

I then wicked the MicroDrip with Japanese cotton tailing down to, and filling, the juice wells:

14e5n6g.jpg

In Use

Since ordering, I have acquired a GP Piccolo, so I put the Micro Drip on that and applied a liberal quantity of 24mg Puros Naturales from House of Liquid:

2e22c5i.jpg

The MicroDrip takes a very good quantity of juice and appears to be leak free. This unusual design, with the large amount of cotton it will take, is almost an "upside down Spheroid" and provides a similar sort of vape - good flavour and decent vapour for the mouth to lung vaper. Airflow is probably a bit too tight (looser than a Spheroid though) for the lung inhaler. Wicking appears very good...

As value for money in an original (and different) device this is a remarkable bit of kit

Last edited:

petrotech

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2015
indiana
I'd like a little more info about the coil....2 mm kanthal...is that 30 AWG for us Americans? lol. Whats the inner diameter of the coil? How many wraps of the twisted kanthal for .9 ohms.

I've been using standard microcoil with 28 AWG kanthal, measuring around 1 ohm, but thinking about trying twisted when i get home.

Thanks for the review!

prof beard

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
Stafford UK
I'd like a little more info about the coil....2 mm kanthal...is that 30 AWG for us Americans? lol. Whats the inner diameter of the coil? How many wraps of the twisted kanthal for .9 ohms.

I've been using standard microcoil with 28 AWG kanthal, measuring around 1 ohm, but thinking about trying twisted when i get home.

Thanks for the review!

I must confess to be very NON-.... about coiling, I tend to work on "use thinner for higher ohms" and pick from what I have. The wire used in the review is described by the vendor as "Twisted Kanthal A1 Type Wire - 0.2mm x 2 Wraps - (32 AWG)". I wrapped it around the second largest of the four rods I got in my coiling jig :). I much prefer twisted wire (I buy a wide variety of pre-made 2, 3 and 4 wire including mixes of round and ribbon). So - basically I have a rough feel for the result and if it measures out "around there" I'm happy

petrotech

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2015
indiana
I must confess to be very NON-.... about coiling,

I like that attitude. I normally just ask what other people use, do that first, then change it up till I like it. Whenever I get some free time (just had another baby and working about 80 hrs a week right now) I'll work something up. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread