Prof's Review of the eGo Booster

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
In short....it shuts off. I thought I was using a regular resistance atty but everytime I pushed the button, it only lit for a second then started blinking. I was using a USB 650mah Joye eGo and a 900mah Janty eGo for testing. Pulled out the multimeter and the resistance measured at 2.1 ohms. I guess it was too low for the booster. It ran fine cranked all the way down, but turn it up and off with the blinking again. Maybe it's due to them being older eGo's or maybe they're finally starting to die off.

Couldn't get it to run much better on a high drain 18350 mod either. It's definitely doing something since I can hear the atty heating up faster and hotter. Just doesn't seem to "feel" all that different to me.

On the other hand, I put a 2.6 ohm Boge atty on and it worked like a charm. Same with regular resistance cartos.

It's very pretty and very well made. But for me, I don't see it getting too much use. I got it to see if the whole variable voltage thing was for me. Didn't really see much advantage over the standard LR attys. I still have yet to try it out on some other mod devices though. When I get back to my stash-o-vaping gear, I'll see if it improves with other devices, attys/cartos, and different flavors.

Last edited:

fsroq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2011
Spain
Now I am confused. The link from the first post, says it even works with DC 1.6 Ohms on ego bats fine.

I thought it would work on anything within the 3Amp limit.

In short....it shuts off. I thought I was using a regular resistance atty but everytime I pushed the button, it only lit for a second then started blinking. I was using a USB 650mah Joye eGo and a 900mah Janty eGo for testing. Pulled out the multimeter and the resistance measured at 2.1 ohms. I guess it was too low for the booster. It ran fine cranked all the way down, but turn it up and off with the blinking again. Maybe it's due to them being older eGo's or maybe they're finally starting to die off.

Couldn't get it to run much better on a high drain 18350 mod either. It's definitely doing something since I can hear the atty heating up faster and hotter. Just doesn't seem to "feel" all that different to me.

On the other hand, I put a 2.6 ohm Boge atty on and it worked like a charm. Same with regular resistance cartos.

It's very pretty and very well made. But for me, I don't see it getting too much use. I got it to see if the whole variable voltage thing was for me. Didn't really see much advantage over the standard LR attys. I still have yet to try it out on some other mod devices though. When I get back to my stash-o-vaping gear, I'll see if it improves with other devices, attys/cartos, and different flavors.

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
I'm sort of confused myself. Never had an eGo battery just up and shut off on me before. It may be due to the resistance of the attys I'm using or it may just be the eGo batts are going wonky. I have no problems using them without the booster attached which makes me wonder if the booster (when set at a higher output range) is drawing more than the eGo can give.

I'll emphasize this part again though, these batts that I'm using are about a year old. They don't see much heavy use and still seem to have a sizable usage time (around 5-6 hours). It may just be that the older batts have some technological disadvantages to the newer ones.

I don't want anything I've posted so far to reflect badly on the Booster or the makers of the device. I haven't been able to try it out on any of my more suitable mods yet. With the stuff I've got with me for now, it seems a little lacking. Any device is going to have it's sweet spots. I only have a couple of different attys and one style of carto for now. When I get back, I'll have access to dozens of different types of attys, batts, cartos, and mods. I may find something that really shines with the booster.

I was only pointing out what I've experienced thus far with what I have on hand. Hopefully someone with some eGo technical skills can post a reason for the premature blinking on my stuff. I'd like to know. :)

fsroq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2011
Spain
And it worked fine with the booster. Lets hope it does, will get mine beginning of next week. Going to try it out on ego 900 bats, on a NoEgo 18650, and the 510N V2 mod. with both IMR bats and trustfire flames. Will report how it behaves with these.

If it's any help ( I have no idea if it makes a difference or not) the eGo/Tornado battery I used in the article is from around October 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread