Progress in Phoenix!

Status
Not open for further replies.

metamorpheus

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2013
AZ
NAVB – Small Business Day at the Capitol

I had the great pleasure of going to the Capitol building, as a guest of NAVB, for small business day today. NAVB is an organization comprised of small to medium sized business owners in the vaping community who organize their efforts and resources towards advocating for vaping rights. As a small group of business owners, we mingled with other small business owners and politicians in an open and peaceful discussion over lunch. We came together today and got some real face time interaction. I feel that Phoenix will continue to be a burgeoning powerhouse for the vaping industry. Today I got to witness an important discussion with our state legislators in light of a bill to tax e-liquid at the rate of a dollar per milliliter.

After taking a question from Natalie Higgins of Valor Vapor, newly elected speaker of the house, David Gowan, approached her to continue their discussion about her concerns. Gowan established an open line of communication, so that any further e-cig bills could be brought to his attention immediately. He was extremely approachable and even went as far as to give his personal contact information in the event that there are any questions about bills related to e-cigs down the line. Gowan also encouraged Higgins to come see him face to face with any concerns. Gowan believes the best approach to issues regarding small business is to destroy legislative barriers and allow business to bring prosperity to the valley. He was excited to see young entrepreneurs creating jobs and establishing a thriving industry and will actively fight to adopt policies which protect small business rights.

Last edited:

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
It appears there are two (or more) different e-cig tax bills in AZ.

Metamorpheus wrote:
Today I got to witness an important discussion with our state legislators in light of a bill to tax e-liquid at the rate of a dollar per milliliter.
What is the bill number?

The AZ bill (HB 2596) posted by samurai at:
Format Document
would impose a $.18/ml tax on liquid nicotine solutions (i.e. $5.40 tax for a 30ml bottle of e-liquid) since $.009 x 20 = $.18
10. ON VAPOR PRODUCTS, NINE‑TENTHS CENT FOR EACH 0.05 MILLILITER OF LIQUID NICOTINE SOLUTION.

Last edited:

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
There are 2; one addresses marketing to children and the other is the tax.

It's already illegal to sell to minors, so why would anyone market to them? Are flavored alcohol or condoms marketing to children? They aren't requiring child proof packaging. It's redundant and a photo op.

I'm wondering if there's a way to slip in a word or two into the definition such that would make it harder to classify vapor as tobacco (if that's even possible)? Offer to help them write it, help them take a load off staff, get out of the office earlier, do filling?

HB2648 - 521R - I Ver
REFERENCE TITLE: vapor products; marketing; labeling; minors
HB 2648

HB2648 - 521R - Status - Title: vapor products; marketing; labeling; minors
Bill Status HB2648
SPONSORS: SALDATE P
TITLE: vapor products; marketing; labeling; minors
HOUSE FIRST READ: 02/11/15
COMMITTEES: ASSIGNED COMMITTEES ACTION
02/11/15 GHE
02/11/15 RULES
HOUSE SECOND READ: 02/12/15

-----------

HB2596 - 521R - I Ver
HB 2596
REFERENCE TITLE: luxury tax on electronic cigarettes
Updated 2/3/2015
Looks like it's still in committee?
Requires 2/3 vote

"Tobacco products" means all luxuries included in section 42‑3052, paragraphs 5 through 9."
This will put local juice makers at a disadvantage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread