The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.
  1. Volunteer to help with beta testing!

We’re working on getting the site updates ready, but we’ll need your help to check the changes, make sure everything makes sense to you, and report any issues you see. If you'd like to volunteer to help with beta testing, click the link below. The first 20 people to respond to this thread will be added to the team!

View thread
    Dismiss Notice

Promise not to laugh! Newbie with a brain freeze.

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by bully mom, Aug 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. bully mom

bully mom Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 17, 2011
    Kentucky
    I have a 10ml bottle of unflavored nic juice from FSUSA. I purchased several flavors from Perfumers Apprentice. I really just want to taste the flavors. My juice is 18mg, 80/20 pg/vg. If I take 2 mls of the juice, how many little drops of the flavor do I need to add? They came with these cute little pipettes. How much does the drops of flavor decrease the nic level? I really don't care much about the nic level, just want to see if I like these flavors. I purchased them thinking I was getting ready to vape eliquids and realized what I had done when they got here. I don't need to add any water do I?

I just can't seem to find a calculator that deals with such a small amount that makes sense to me and I want to try this with what I have on hand. Once I decide I like a flavor, then I will purchase a large bottle of unflavored juice and go from there. Thanks so much for the help... you guys have been great!!

Bully mom:blush:

2. markfm

markfm Aussie Pup Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    It varies a lot.
    I typically end up with 12 - 20% flavoring in a final liquid. If you have 2ml of your nicotine base, then try perhaps about 0.25ml of flavoring; the final would be 2.25 ml, so the liquid you added would be 0.25/2.25 = 1/9, just over 11%. If that works for you, great, otherwise just add a few more drops at a time.
    (A rough approximation is that there's somewhere around 25 drops to the ml -- it varies, of course.)

As to nic level, it is a ratio, total nicotine divided by total liquid. In the above example, 2 ml of 18 mg/ml, and 0.25 ml of 0 mg/ml, the final strength is 2mlx18mg/ml /(2 ml + 0.25 ml) = 16 mg/ml. If one of the things you bought is called Tobacco Absolute or Tobacco Absolute Diluted, that is a special case. It is a very strong tobacco base flavoring. I typically use the TA Diluted just to "perk up" a tobacco eliquid, and then I'm talking on the order of 2 - 4 drops per 10ml of final eliquid. For just making a tobacco-oriented flavor, I use their Tobacco Blend, at about 12%, plus whatever else I want (typically 8% vanilla, or 3% hazelnut plus a couple drops of the TA Diluted).

3. kelleymcm

kelleymcm Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 2, 2010
    oklahoma city
    I think *2 drops per 2 ml would be a good place to start .
    just add another drop if ya can't taste it
    & take notes so you know for later mixing what you liked .

*generally a ml is 20 drops so if you wanna start @ 10% flavoring that would be 2 drops ....
    but w/that said all droppers/pipettes don't make the same size drop & thickness of liquid probably changes the sizing a little too. But since you are just mixing for yourself(assuming)
    then it dosn't really matter ... same with the reduction of nic , it will be minimal. So don't worry about that either . have fun ....good luck !

4. bully mom

bully mom Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 17, 2011
    Kentucky
    Mark,,, Thanks so much that is exactly what I was looking for. The two big flavors I got are wintergreen and English toffee. Also I got one of the little test packages which is an assortment of fruit flavors. Think I will try the English toffee first.

Kelley... I appreciate the tip of taking notes. Your explanation was perfect and I will let ya know how it all turns out!!!

Many thanks to you both!!

5. datacreek

datacreek Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 23, 2010
    USA
    You can use plain pg/vg without nic to test your flavors. You won't get as much of a throat hit but you have an idea of the flavor ratio. This way you don't waste any nic juice.

6. Kimerpuff

Kimerpuff Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Aug 4, 2009
    CO, USA
    The best way to test flavors for me is as Datacreek stated above. Another way to taste flavors is using whipped cream :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.