Proof that Caffiene is more dangerous than Nicotine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonRose

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Indiana, USA
Found this article on Yahoo News this morning. Here's proof that caffiene is more dangerous than nicotine. Never heard of anyone murdering someone due to a nicotine overdose, nicotine withdrawal would do it, but not an overdose. But here we have someone claiming that a caffiene overdosing caused him to kill his wife. :unsure:

Ky. man claims caffeine insanity in wife's death - Yahoo! News

I don't doubt it one bit, actually. In over 12 yrs as a medical coder, I've never come across a case of nicotine overdose necessitating medical treatment, but I've definitely seen a few over the years for caffeine OD (codes to poisoning). Usual complaints are arrhythmia, chest pain, nausea/vomiting, syncope (fainting), altered mental status.

As a former resident of the Seattle area, I oftened wondered if the constant road rage (especially on I-5) had anything to do with a populace strung out on triple-shot lattés.

Scottitude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
Metro Detroit
scottitude.net
It truly is a crazy world. From the article:

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders — published by the American Psychiatric Association showing standard criteria for the classification of mental disorders — defines overdose as more than 300 mg. That's about three cups of coffee.

By that standard, I overdose on caffeine every day before 9:00 AM and should be dead by quitting time.

Luvs5rugrats

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
The Lowcountry
3 cups? LOL How about triple that? Quadruple? I literally drink coffee all day long. I'm drinking a cup now. Guess I should have been dead years ago. :p I am just as addicted to caffeine as I am nicotine. All that happens when I drink a few strong cups is I end up running around the house picking stuff up and cleaning from one room to the next like I have A.D.D.

Princessdee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2009
PA, USA
3 cups? LOL How about triple that? Quadruple? I literally drink coffee all day long. I'm drinking a cup now. Guess I should have been dead years ago. :p I am just as addicted to caffeine as I am nicotine. All that happens when I drink a few strong cups is I end up running around the house picking stuff up and cleaning from one room to the next like I have A.D.D.

Come to my house, I'll make multiple pots of coffee for ya.

MoonRose

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Indiana, USA
Being around a caffiene addict is much worse than being around a nicotine addict when they cold turkey. At least if you're going cold turkey off of nicotine you usually chew on straws or suck on hard candies to help with the agitation of quitting whereas those who don't get their caffiene fixes don't know how to cope with the withdrawal symptoms. :p

potholerepairman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2009
Being around a caffiene addict is much worse than being around a nicotine addict when they cold turkey. At least if you're going cold turkey off of nicotine you usually chew on straws or suck on hard candies to help with the agitation of quitting whereas those who don't get their caffiene fixes don't know how to cope with the withdrawal symptoms. :p

Thanks ,I never got into caffeine so its hard to see it.Now im looking for it the next time someone says they are quitting caffeine.Come to think of it most people that I know always just say they are cutting down on caffeine not quitting alltogether so it will have to be doctor pushed full quiting but ill watch it like a suspense movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread