Proper charging and handling of the Riva 510 batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_maiden_fair

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2011
SD , USA
I have just one kit, the Riva 510 750mah 3.7v, and have only been vaping for 2 months. At first, I had a spare kit, but every time I order one, I lend it out to smokers to try, and they end up keeping them! So, right now, I am spareless. I have used the 2 amp car adapter to charge a few times, but I usually just use the wall charger for them. This weekend I broke the usb cord (twisted the battery on too tight):oops:. It is currently working, being held together with a clamp, thanks to the genius of the hubby. It no longer changes from red to green, so I am careful to stop charging after 2 or 3 hours. I have more usb's on order (4), the right ones for the bigger mah batteries, so I will not have this panic issue again! And yes, I did learn my lesson on over twisting these guys!

Now, down to my questions...:?:How do you test with a multimeter to check if the battery is fully charged (what setting on the multimeter, where to put the terminals, etc.). Should I only leave a battery on the charger for 2-3 hours, or is it alright to leave them on overnight? I have done this many times, so it would be nice to know. I occasionally clean the battery connection and charger connection with isopropyl and cotton swabs, but not always, should I be doing this before each charge? Do I need to worry about hot vaping my batts (can you tell, I can really get into my vaping sessions!). How do you test your charger? I am hesitant to plug the multimeter into the charger attached to the socket!! Is it alright to use the 2 amp usb car charger? Does it really hurt to leave your atty/cart or carto attached with it standing upright overnight or when not in use, being they are sealed batteries? I do follow this, but I wonder what the importance is to attaching the battery before plugging it in to the outlet, and unplugging from the outlet before unscrewing the battery.

All of your insight is greatly appreciated, I would like my pv to last as long as possible, as I'm sure everyone does. Sorry for the millions of questions, but I hope to have just one thread to reference whenever anyone asks, or for when I have a brain freeze! Thank you for your time and your help, I will be passing your knowledge on to 3 other noobs as well! :laugh:

SkeetS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2011
A, A
Q: How do you test with a multimeter to check if the battery is fully charged (what setting on the multimeter, where to put the terminals, etc.).
A: The connections are the center pole on your bat(+) and the outter rim(-) but can't say 100% sure about it.

Q: Should I only leave a battery on the charger for 2-3 hours, or is it alright to leave them on overnight?
A: If you are afraid of you bat exploding or something charge them inside a cooking pan or something that ca prevent the blast. My advice is keep only doing the 2-3h charge to be safe.

Q: I occasionally clean the battery connection and charger connection with isopropyl and cotton swabs, but not always, should I be doing this before each charge?
A: I try to keep both of them as clean as i can. I clean my bats 2 or 3 times a day and my charge whenever i see some green stuff or some juice inside.

Q: Do I need to worry about hot vaping my batts (can you tell, I can really get into my vaping sessions!).
A: I really did not understood this one

Q:How do you test your charger? I am hesitant to plug the multimeter into the charger attached to the socket!!
A: you can test it all you want. Should come out a 500mAh current so there is no big issues. Wear protective gauntlets just to be safe.

Q: Is it alright to use the 2 amp usb car charger?
A: 2 amp is a bit high...You shoud stick to 500mAh

Q: Does it really hurt to leave your atty/cart or carto attached with it standing upright overnight or when not in use, being they are sealed batteries?
A: As i can see it ther is no big issues there. Clean the connector of the bat before first use in the mornig though.

Q: I do follow this, but I wonder what the importance is to attaching the battery before plugging it in to the outlet, and unplugging from the outlet before unscrewing the battery.
A: By attaching the battery first you prevent some short circuit that may happen and some damage to the center pole of the charger.

Hope it helped and if i was wrong somewhere along the way, someone correct me.

the_maiden_fair

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2011
SD , USA
Thank you, Skeets!! You are a big help! I like to plug my batteries in at night, to charge while I sleep, so I will have to change that habit. What I meant by "hot vaping" is, at times, I vape so quickly and so long that my battery and atomizer and cone will get hot to the touch. I don't know if it's just me, or if others have done that at one point or another. I haven't read anywhere where anyone has broken their charger like I have, so I must just be extra tough on things!

SkeetS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2011
A, A
Ok.
Now i understood you.
I used to do it and my batteries still work today perfect minus one that mus t suicidal or something because it keeps falling from my pockets, tables and stuff.
Hot vaping is fine but be carefull not to burn yourself. For instance, if you are using a metal/aluminium drip it may get extremely hot and burn your lips.
Has for the battery i see so big dangers and the atomizer may have a reduced lifespan.

OdinsChild76

Jun 2, 2011
Wadsworth
Thanks you guys! You just helped another noob here too! I noticed today that my batteries had green gunk around the terminals, and was FREAKING that they were leaking battery acid!!! But now I see I need to clean them more, as I have had them for about 20 days, and have not cleaned them at all yet! So SHEW!! Thank you!!! :) And I end up vaping hot too alot! hahaha Didn't know I that was normal either, or if I was just a fiend! LOL ^Thanks guys!!! ;)

P.s. Is it normal for the center pole on the battery to move?? When I cleaned the gunk out of the battery threads today, I moved it and freaked out some more? But it moved back?

SkeetS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2011
A, A
Hi Odin!
OH MY GOD...CEENTER POLE MOVING???

I am kidding... it's normal so don't worry about it.
Just be sure not to overtight the batteries and you would be fine.
If at anytime your batteries fail at charging maybe the center pole of the battery went down a bit and is failing contact.
At that point just try pull it a bit up...gently...screw an atty on to make the pole at the right height and done.

OdinsChild76

Jun 2, 2011
Wadsworth
Hi Odin!
OH MY GOD...CEENTER POLE MOVING???
Don't scare me like that! At this point I'm likely to believe anything! LOL hahaha
Thank you to both for the advice, I have been VERY careful now to not tighten my adapters/cartos and especially my charger too tight! ( Yikes Maiden! :O I did not know you could break them by doing that!) And not worrying too much about it moving while cleaning. Will keep this in mind if there are power issues! Thank you!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread