Status
Not open for further replies.

Errol

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Salt lake City, Ut
Because of the FDA scare about ecig juice containing ingredients used in Anti Freeze it has become a dirty word. The fact is Propylene Glycol is required by law to be added to Anti Freeze or replace it in some states as it is non toxic and harmless to animals that seem to like the sweet poison taste of Ethylene Glycol.

The best information I've been able to find on PG, and VG for that matter was to search on "
Propylene Glycol" or "Vegetable Glycerin" on eBay and read the product description from the vendors.

One I found of particular interest was from this Solar Energy Supplier.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Propylene-Glycol-Food-Grade-USP-Solar-Water-Heater-/350366371463?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5193768e87

1 Gallon Propylene Glycol @ $24.99
99.9% Food Grade USP Kosher
Propylene glycol is a viscous, oily fluid which is commonly used in many products. We use it as an antifreeze in our solar water heating applications. Food grade propylene glycol is safe for drinking / non-toxic. If your system fails or leaks and mixes with your water supply, there is no need to worry about the effects from drinking it in case the leak is not discovered immediately. In the case of ethylene glycol, someone drinking the fluid risks the chances of poisoning and even death.
This food grade product is kosher (see link below for certificate) and is certified for use in food products.
This can be used in food applications. It is commonly known as a food-chill inhibited food grade propylene glycol.

Propylene glycol also does not have corrosivity to metals like ethylene glycol does and it is better for the environment. It can be used as an antifreeze in many other applications such as automobiles and refrigeration.This product is commonly known as a Food Chill propylene glycol, widely used when involving foods and food refrigeration.

Sophey

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Seattle, WA
Your post was nothing like what I expected when I clicked the title. Now, I'm so glad I read it. Thanks for addressing any questions regarding the safety of propylene glycol. The line that really got me is that it's safe for drinking!

I notice this was your first post, though you've been an ECF member for a long while. How in the world did you hold out for so long? :?:

poetofisis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2011
Gillette, WY
www.hotheadvapor.com
Diethylene glycol is what they're so concerned aobut. Back when they did their testing, vaping was a relatively new thing (pfft! still is...). If you screw up when cooking up PG, you can inadvertently create DG. PG - relatively harmless. DG - relatively toxic. From what I've read, there were a lot of people cutting corners back then and making bad juice. This is where people decided to spaz the $%(* out...

G9K

Apr 24, 2011
USA
I edited your thread title to make it have a better result in Google. Lets not give ammunition to the anti's that love to spread FUD.

That's better. It's probably even less toxic than vodka (or the grain alcohol in the vodka), and the guy in the camper would probably have gotten in trouble if he'd "defrosted" his potable water with a couple gallons of Smirnoff.

Errol

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Salt lake City, Ut
Diethylene glycol is what they're so concerned aobut. Back when they did their testing, vaping was a relatively new thing (pfft! still is...). If you screw up when cooking up PG, you can inadvertently create DG. PG - relatively harmless. DG - relatively toxic. From what I've read, there were a lot of people cutting corners back then and making bad juice. This is where people decided to spaz the $%(* out...

As I recall they only found contaminates in one of 16 or 18 samples. Most wrote it off as an anomaly.

Errol

Errol

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Salt lake City, Ut
Your post was nothing like what I expected when I clicked the title. Now, I'm so glad I read it. Thanks for addressing any questions regarding the safety of propylene glycol. The line that really got me is that it's safe for drinking!

I notice this was your first post, though you've been an ECF member for a long while. How in the world did you hold out for so long? :?:

The forum is way to complicated for me to navigate so I never got around to the obligatory 5 posts so I could respond except in this particular forum. Finally got tired of hearing/reading that ecig juice had ingredients found in antifreeze and decided I'd spill the beans and let at least a few people know that PG IS ANTIFREEZE.

Errol

Errol

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Salt lake City, Ut
Vodka is also an anti-freeze, technically. I'm surprised that they didn't bring up the dihydrogen monoxide content of most anti-freeze, that stuff kills plenty of people every year.

Wikipedia is probably a better info source than ebay, look 'em up there, as well as on the labels of your food and medications.

Suppose I should have said eBay PG vendor were "one" of the best sources of information on Propylene Glycol. That was the only place I've found that actually stated PG was used as a potable antifreeze. Probably the best location for documented scientific evidence of how harmless PG is National Vapers Club - Meeting Place for lovers of e-cigarettes, personal vaporizers and all things "fog" producing!.

Errol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread