Status
Not open for further replies.

MsxShades

Jan 25, 2014
Massachusetts
I know there are quite a few threads talking about PG and VG, and the pro's and con's of each. The reason I started this thread was because the other day I was at the store buying shampoo, and I noticed something on the ingredients label on one of the bottles. It said propylene glycol. I was kind of mortified because I never really looked into PG before, and too think I was smoking a chemical that is used to make shampoo. :ohmy: After noticing that I did some research and found that PG is also an additive in Anti-Freeze. :unsure: But then again PG is also used in food coloring, cake mixes, sodas, and salad dressings.

I just wanted people's opinion on PG and why you think it should or shouldn't still be used as an ingredient in ejuice, or if there are other alternatives you have found based on your own experience with making DIY ejuice's.

This is a thread based on your opinion, please be courteous of others and respect their opinions. Thank
you! :)

EDIT: Another reason why I posted this thread is because there are a lot of un-informed people who have no idea was PG is, and your opinions can greatly help others.

Last edited:

DHubbs

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2014
Canton, Georgia, USA
Well I don't see the problem. Its in other items approved by the FDA. Just because its in poisonous things doesn't make it a poison itself. Theres water in antifreeze as well. I have no worries when it comes to PG or VG. What I worry about is artificial flavors. But when it comes to that im not too worried either... We consume artificial flavoring every day.

Water: in both dog poo and my dinner. Please note I'm not eating dog poo for dinner so the two are different entities. :)

It's safe enough that the FDA has no problem with continuous exposure for fog machine operators, and it's the primary dilutant in asthma inhalers. Some medications use it as a delivery solvent/dilutant when given via IV, so the FDA is fine with it being injected directly into your veins.

Given the toxicity amounts, I'm not going to worry about what I take in per day. I'd have to vape 300 ml per day to risk having an issue.

Oxtail

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
SoCal
The number 1 ingredient in shampoo is water. Many shampoos also have citric acid in them. That doesn't put me off eating oranges or drinking water.

The take away should be that PG is so safe and non-toxic that it's used in many everyday things. Would they be using PG in a shampoo if it was toxic? I'd be much more worried about inhaling something that's not safe enough to be included in a shampoo which easily gets into your system every time you shower.

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Also, if you're older than about 45 and were born in a hospital, the likelihood is excellent that the very first breaths you drew were heavily laced with propylene glycol. Among other sterling attributes, it's also a good germicide for funguses, bacteria and viruses. Before micron air-filters were invented, PG was extensively used in hospital birthing rooms, maternity wards, operating theaters, etc.

PG was replaced with micro-pore filters because, in addition to grabbing microscopic beasties out of the air, PG also grabs extremely tiny dust particles, then precipitates onto every horizontal surface. The replacement was an economic issue: it was cheaper to replace those filters every few months and then reduce the swabbing-down and dusting efforts by about 50%.

FWIW, before I took up vaping, I used to get three to five colds per year. In nearly three years of vaping, I have had not one cold!

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
Damn, I gotta rescue every one of these threads.

Your not vaping a shampoo used to make e-liquid. Your vaping a substance that is used to make e-liquid that happens to be used in shampoo as well. Propylene Glycol is also pumped into the air by the gallons in hospitals, to sterilize the air, because it kills bacteria and fungal spores. Propylene Glycol is also used in asthma inhalers, and asthmatic defibrillators. The vapor that emits from your baby's defibrillator, is propylene glycol. So if it isn't safe, well, we wouldn't be giving it to our infants to administer medication to their lungs. We wouldn't be pumping it into hospital air conditioner systems to purify the air. We wouldn't be making cake frostings out of it.

Propylene Glycol and Vegetable Glycerine are both just two types of uninebriating alcohols. Its made from fermenting yeast and carbohydrates. Its a natural substance. We create alcohols in our own bodies very similar to PG.

The media likes to spin things to make them seem more appealing/unappealing/shocking. This is why anything that has ammonia in it automatically has "URINE" in it! Because our urine is made up of ammonia. In reality, it's just an unsavory spin designed to freak people out; People that don't have much experience with understanding chemistry and biochemistry and what the world around us is made up of.

Hey, Raspberry flavoring is made from beaver anus scrapings. Does that mean your never gonna eat anything that has raspberry flavoring in it ever again? I'd hope not. Raspberry beaver anus flavoring is delicious! Just because something seems weird or gross to us doesn't make it gross. You eat bread. That was once a grass. You don't eat grass though! Grass is gross! You eat pork. That was once a big smelly pig rolling in it's own feces. Then it became a huge pile of oxidizing, coagulating, fermenting, bloody flesh scraps. & then you threw it on a grill seasoned with old burnt flesh, and then you ate it! And your stomach acid and the little bacteria bugs living in your body mushed it all up, and then your body's little cells disperse everything its made up of into your body, and you squeeze out what you couldn't break down through a hole between some padding that developed genetically over thousands of years so you could sit comfortably, and you call those pads your .... cheeks. :) The end. (of your body, and the pig) (until, of course, your excrement enriches the soil above your septic tank, and the bugs and bacteria feed on that grass. & the animals eat those bugs and pick up that bacteria. and they grow into big strong pigs.

:D

Last edited:

macaroni

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
Rockledge, Florida, USA
Water: in both dog poo and my dinner. Please note I'm not eating dog poo for dinner so the two are different entities. :)

And neither are we vaping anti freeze ... I think what the poster was trying to say was PG is only one element contained in the anti freeze, and just because ingestion of anti freeze would be bad, doesn't mean the ingestion of PG would necessarily be bad. Your statement is also true in that we don't eat dog poo for dinner, however water being only one elemnet contained in dog poo does not necessarily make water bad

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Purity is the key :

PG has hundreds of uses - ranging from anti-freeze through cosmetics to asthma inhalers.

The PG they use for making anti-freeze is definitely NOT safe to vape as it has a high percentage of contaminants.

The PG used for making pharmaceuticals and e-liquids is chemically the same, but of a much higher - exactly defined - purity :

USP Monographs: Propylene Glycol

Is like water : water from a drainage ditch is water, just like the the water from a bottle is water. But you wouldn't dream of drinking from a drainage ditch ( unless in dire emergencies ), cuz it might contain all sorts of unhealthy stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread