Propylene Glycol-The new villain of the day-

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkRNY

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2016
Rockland County, NY
Posted again due to my mouth-breather mistake (I just call it PG)-

I just saw a shill doc on a shill news station slamming vaping with bogus claims that went unquestioned by the IQ deprived talking head. The "doc" was naming propylene glycol as though it were a health hazard, probably because the name scares people.

I'm telling everyone I know that this hit on vaping is exactly that- an orchestrated Hit. This PG thing's going to come up sooner or later. I'm wondering if any here have more info on what PG is and if there's ANY health hazard to it. I want to have all the facts I can ready.

Thanks.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Short version, no, it's not toxic. It was substituted for ethylene glycol, used in the past as antifreeze as ethylene glycol was toxic. It leaked from your radiator, your dog licked it and died. Hence PG as antifreeze.

It's used in everything from cooking to medical aerosols for delivering asthma meds which people breathe in. There's a wealth of data that can be found through Google if you want reference material. But under the circumstances they guy sounds like an idiot with an agenda. One of many out there.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
When will the madness end? We've gone back to the days of "The world is flat" and scientists are heretics. I tell ya' I'm scared:cry:.
There seems to be a frantic speed to it all as well. People are pushing out information before checking it. The actual CDC report isn’t actually out yet. There seems to be this giant push to affect public opinion before that actually happens.

Good Science isn’t either fast or cheap. It takes expensive people and expensive equipment a good deal of time, and until it happens the liars are getting whatever shots in they can. All we can do is combat it with real information (which in the case of PG has aleready been collected, hopefully) and wait for the truth to out.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I gotta wonder, if this is considered science, how bogus is the rest of what they do?
That’s the point. There is science and pseudoscience. The actual report is not the pre report. I want to see what the actual results are rather than some guy talking about partial data. This hasn’t broken my trust with the CDC, but I kinda want to know where these partial findings are coming from exactly.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Short version, no, it's not toxic. It was substituted for ethylene glycol, used in the past as antifreeze as ethylene glycol was toxic. It leaked from your radiator, your dog licked it and died. Hence PG as antifreeze.

It's used in everything from cooking to medical aerosols for delivering asthma meds which people breathe in. There's a wealth of data that can be found through Google if you want reference material. But under the circumstances they guy sounds like an idiot with an agenda. One of many out there.
Eskie nailed it. Drop mike. Walk away.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
No, this is not "all that we have to do" is debunk it again.

If that were the case, it would have meant that debunking it the first time would have WORKED.

I am starting to lose MAH PATIENCE.

Anna
Yes and no. We know that there are no aliens in Area 51 for example. We know why people think there are aliens there, we know why there were “ufo” sightings there. Several presidents have demanded full reports. And gotten them. It’s old old news. People are still planning on rushing the place though. Debunking doesn’t stop the stupid. Especially if there’s money to be made. The only thing there is is to keep hammering. The press coverage already produced has insured that there will be people who will always believe that smoking is less unhealthy than e-cigarettes. They’re wrong, but they will always believe it.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Eskie nailed it. Drop mike. Walk away.

;) This is from a scientific paper about lung transplants:

Inhaled Cyclosporine and Pulmonary Function in Lung Transplant Recipients

"Inhaled cyclosporine administration
After receiving 2% lidocaine inhalation (3 ml) and 2.5 mg of albuterol, patients were given inhaled cyclosporine mixed in propylene glycol (62.5 mg/ml) or placebo (propylene glycol alone) administered initially for ten consecutive days, then thrice weekly using a commercially available jet nebulizer (AeroTech II, CIS-US, Bedford, MA). "

Now we can drop the mike.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Yes and no. We know that there are no aliens in Area 51 for example. We know why people think there are aliens there, we know why there were “ufo” sightings there. Several presidents have demanded full reports. And gotten them. It’s old old news. People are still planning on rushing the place though. Debunking doesn’t stop the stupid. Especially if there’s money to be made. The only thing there is is to keep hammering. The press coverage already produced has insured that there will be people who will always believe that smoking is less unhealthy than e-cigarettes. They’re wrong, but they will always believe it.

Well if they're not in Area 51, where are they?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
;) This is from a scientific paper about lung transplants:

Inhaled Cyclosporine and Pulmonary Function in Lung Transplant Recipients

"Inhaled cyclosporine administration
After receiving 2% lidocaine inhalation (3 ml) and 2.5 mg of albuterol, patients were given inhaled cyclosporine mixed in propylene glycol (62.5 mg/ml) or placebo (propylene glycol alone) administered initially for ten consecutive days, then thrice weekly using a commercially available jet nebulizer (AeroTech II, CIS-US, Bedford, MA). "

Now we can drop the mike.

Best line from that study was the first.

Chronic rejection, manifesting as bronchiolitis obliterans, is the leading cause of death in lung transplant recipients.

So if lung transplant patients would just stop working in popcorn factories they'd be just fine.

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
I gotta wonder, if this is considered science, how bogus is the rest of what they do?

This is the most important issue. More important than vaping. I understand non vapers are not interested in the controversy around vaping but I spent a long time trying to get them to understand your point. How can anyone rely on these organisations/institutions regarding health issues, when there is so obviously a problem. Nobody was interested. I gave up.

Lets all continue to trust the likes of the World Health Organisation when they advise what's best for your child. Like baby formula.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
This is the most important issue. More important than vaping. I understand non vapers are not interested in the controversy around vaping but I spent a long time trying to get them to understand your point. How can anyone rely on these organisations/institutions regarding health issues, when there is so obviously a problem. Nobody was interested. I gave up.

Lets all continue to trust the likes of the World Health Organisation when they advise what's best for your child. Like baby formula.

I feel bad for the EU. The WHO is way worse than the FDA. And not just on vaping (although the WHO is pretty rabid about that) but plenty of other healthcare policy decisions. No offense intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread