Propylene Glycol

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I ran across this page that discusses the properties and uses of propylene glycol. Not that it bothers me, especially since it is used in intravenous solutions for the medical profession, but the MSDS info is kind of scary. Of course, the MSDS data sheet for just about anything that requires one will make you think twice about using it.

Link is here for anyone who wants to take a look at the uses and side effects.
What is Propylene Glycol?

Comments anyone?

BradSmith

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2010
Northern Michigan USA
Total and complete BS. Anti-freeze again, how many times does this need to be debunked?? You know what else you put in your radiator? WATER.

My father used to sell, Foam insulation. This stuff was the deal. Problem was that his company made the mistake of building two identicle houses one with Foam and one with Dow Chemicals pink stuff (and published the results). Suddenly there were stories of people getting sick from the foam insulation. They (Dow Chemical) ran studies on the Foam Insulation and found traces of formaldehyde. The problem was that my dads company was out of business before they admitted that it had about one thousands as much formaldehyde as toothpaste and that it could not have possibly ever caused any reactions. The people in the commericials and on the news were paid for by............ wait for it..........Dow Chemical!!!!! Big shocker. So here we are fighting wars over energy and all the other troubles, but way back in the 70's Sun Construction was putting out a product that would cut your heating cost in half and was pushing the most advanced solar products known to date. Oh yah and the Foam Insulation would not burn. So any house with it would stand a much better chance of being saved from a fire.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
Its in my kids medicines - should I throw those out too and sue the doctors? Maybe I should jsut sue the people who made that 'info' sheet lol You do know PG is FDA approved too? (actually that part might out some people OFF :lol:)
Maybe my next door neighbor should chuck out his asthma inhaler and nebulizer as they both have PG in em. Fog machines in clubs and concerts also contain PG.
PG is widely, and I do mean widely, used in today's pharma market - its in EVERYTHING (ok a lot of things lol) and a lot of those things are lung-specific items (like asthma medicines) if it was bad we'd have heard about it back in the 40s when it was first combined as a chemical for human use, or in the many many studies done on it since then.
PG doesn't worry me at all - if its good enough for people with heavily damaged lungs then its good enough for me :)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I just posted that link as an informational source for "what's out there". The anti-freeze reference just kills me because the bad press came from the ethylene glycol that USED to be in anti-freeze. Ethylene Glycol has a sweet taste and dogs love it! The problem is that EG will kill your dog, PG won't. PG was added to anti-freeze as a SAFETY feature so that no more dogs would die from licking puddles of anti-freeze!

I'm sure most of you knew that, but it's worth repeating because the anti "any kind of smoking" crowd is using PG to beat a dead horse in their push to outlaw E-cigs along with their "Save the Kids from Nicotine" campaign.

ricky59

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2010
North Carolina
Every negative thing in that article was taken out of context, deliberately discussing EG but making you think they were talking about PG or discussing an allergic reaction as if it was the reaction everyone would have.

Completely deceptive. Oh, and that website just happens to sell a line of skin care and cosmetics. So they want to scare you from using anything bought at the market that might contain the evil propylene glycol and instead buy theirs.

Total and complete bunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread