Not open for further replies.

jetcity

Keeper of the Provari Ω
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2013
Washington
Hi everyone,
Basically I'm curious if I'm missing anything as far as vape quality, taste, etc. I have never used a carto tank but I did read Ocelot's very informative blog. My first setup was an EGO with a CE4 and now I'm using a Kanger Pro Tank. I'm pretty happy with the Kanger but the draw is a bit airy and it seems to go through juice a lot faster than the CE4. I always get my juice in a 60/40 blend so it's not thick.

Anyone who's used both, I'd just like your opinion of why you prefer one style over the other. :)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Ocelot does excellent work helping vapors here on the forum. Major props to her.

I made a picture dictionary of the more common juice delivery devices in this blog - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...k-what-primer-juice-delivery-attachments.html. In it I explain the differences and include a video on how each category of devices are used and filled.

I also made a cartotank setup guide with video demonstrations of the method that I have been successful with here - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/baditude/3710-5-cartomizer-tank-setup.html

In a nutshell, I've used both clearomizers, clearotanks, and cartotanks. I've preferred cartotanks for their better flavor production, durability, and once you get the methodology down their better consistancy and reliability. Having said that, current clearos have improved markedly in the year since I began vaping concerning consistancy and reliability, yet they are still a step behind in flavor production. Your results may vary.

Not particularly a fan of the top coil/top wicked clearos, myself. I prefer a cooler vape, and the closer proximity of the heating coils to your mouth produces a warmer vapor which sometimes I find to be harsh. Additionally, top wicked clearos are fighting against gravity to feed the coils juice. You must frequently tip them horizontal or swirl the juice around in the tank to keep the wicks wet, or else you will get dry hits. Needing to remind myself to do this was annoying to me.

I've been impressed with the bottom coil/bottom wicked clearos such as the Kanger Evod and ProTank. Cooler vapor due to a slightly longer distance for the vapor to travel, and since they are not fighting gravity, the wicks stay wet automatically so there's no need to tip or swirl. Not as consistant nor up to the flavor of a cartotank, but very close.

Clearos are undoubtedly easier to use and fill with juice. Basically just remove either the top (top coil) or bottom (bottom coil) to fill. Takes 1 minute or less. I chose clearos for my beginning vapor daughter's setup because these will be easier for her to fill for an on-the-go busy college student. I didn't believe she would have the patience to properly setup a cartotank. Changing the coil heads is also easy to learn.

Cartotanks do have a small learning curve. The most important part is properly pre-filling the cartomizer, and there are multiple ways to accomplish this to add to the confusion. Another perspective is, if one way doesn't work for you, there's another that might. It takes me 10 minutes to setup a new cartotank; 1 minute to refill a tank.

A cartotank can be re-filled with the same cartomizer multiple times. Expect the carto to last between 20 - 30 ml, perhaps less if the juice is dark in color or very thick (heavy vg). When the draw becomes stiff, it's time to replace the cartomizer with a new one.

Last edited:

Fenris4024

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Lubbock, TX
Basically what Bad and wv2win stated.... I had the exact same issues with my protanks, and fiddled with them endlessly, no matter what fix I tried, it was still too airy a draw for my vape style. That being said, I DO love my Evods for carrying about on my Egos when I feel the need for something "smaller" than my carto tanks. I imagine though, that soon enough, I'll just grab some 19mm regular height tanks from IBTanked and use those as my "go to's" for portability.

I've currently got a few IBT's in the 22mm size and absolutely love them. Work great on my Vamo, and like the others said, once you get the hang of priming, carto-tanks are sooooooo easy to deal with.

The one carto to 20-30mls of juice is about spot on too.... much better than the evod/ protank heads getting gunked and tossed after maybe 5mls (though I do rebuild my Evod heads, cause I'm a cheap bast***, rebuilding costs me like a whopping 10 cents at most, and that's more cash I can use to fuel my tank addiction!!!!)

vang0gh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Plainfield, IL, USA
Maybe it's my juice or maybe I need to start topping off the cartos when I refill, but I only get a couple of days (2 to 3 tanks) out of a carto before it starts to taste burnt. Nonetheless, I prefer the consistency I get out of a carto tank over anything else I've used, and the higher juice capacity makes them overall more convenient than their counterparts.

cocacola31173

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2012
United States
If you can find some really good cartos then a carto tank rocks! I have had some bad luck lately and drifted towards my evod and protank but they are juice hogs! So I made another order of my Boges and gonna give it another shot. Just remember if you go to carto tank just go ahead and get you a glass one. I got mine from here. IBTanked - Get Tanked With Us! They are 25 dollars for a full kit but they are well worth it! Very durable.

jetcity

Keeper of the Provari Ω
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2013
Washington
Thanks for all the replies! I am definitely going to try the carto tank setup. I feel like I'm going broke with how quickly my pro tank sucks up juice. I was all set on getting a Bella tank from Hoosier Vapes because I like the look of them and a lot of people say they are very easy to setup and refill.

Any opinions on a Bella compared to the IBTanked?

Fenris4024

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Lubbock, TX
Maybe it's my juice or maybe I need to start topping off the cartos when I refill, but I only get a couple of days (2 to 3 tanks) out of a carto before it starts to taste burnt. Nonetheless, I prefer the consistency I get out of a carto tank over anything else I've used, and the higher juice capacity makes them overall more convenient than their counterparts.

What kind of juice are you using, and what kind of cartos? if its a thick, dark, or sweet juice, It'll clog a carto pretty fast... I have a DIY sweet caramel I use a lot, that if I run the flavor solo in the carto, I get 15mls before it gunks it to death... if I add in some green apple (which is a clear liquid), I can almost always get 30mls or so outta the mix. (And c'mon, who DOESN'T like a caramel apple?)

I run almost specifically boge (single coil... I don't think they even make a dual coil opthion) XL cartos, varying from 2.0-3.0 ohms, two punches (either my own, or pre punched with a 50/50 blend of PG/ VG. I've never had one problem save for when I was in a hurry, thought "Oh hey, I primed it enough...." fired it off at 7watts and got the absolute foulest taste ever. I did that one time, and that was enough of a learning experience for me... now I just listen to the masters of Tank-fu.

((I'm still trying to snatch a carto from Bad's palm, to no success. ))

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Any opinions on a Bella compared to the IBTanked?
Bella_Phin_1.jpg Bella-Phin-Frog.jpg Bella_Phin3.jpg

I have one Elegance tank from Hoosier Vapes. I'm not entirely clear what the difference between a Bella and Elegance is. I ditched the polycarbonate tube that came with my tank and matched a custom sandblast design tube from Phiniac with it.

These are easy to fill. The mouth piece and top cap are a one-piece design and twists off from the tube to add juice. The top of the carto fits into the top cap solely by touching it. Unfortunately, my Phiniac tube developed a hairline crack in it and now leaks juice. I haven't been able to rationalize another $50 to replace the tube with another. This hybrid tank was my most expensive tank; very pretty if I may say so myself, but it wasn't any better vape than the IBTanked.
______

bellafam006.jpg

Not my tanks, but some Bella's from an ECF thread on the Bella tanks.

Last edited:

Fenris4024

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Lubbock, TX
The bella's are absolutely gorgeous tanks, but pricewise, I'd pull the trigger on a Phiniac for the price, if you want a "fancier" tank. I'm still gonna say go with an IBT though... amount of awesome you get for the price point is about the best I've seen.

((Though, with a phin, there are awesome tree frog tanks.... wonder if I can get a penguin one......))

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The bella's are absolutely gorgeous tanks, but pricewise, I'd pull the trigger on a Phiniac for the price...
((Though, with a phin, there are awesome tree frog tanks.... wonder if I can get a penguin one......))
Were you referring to my tree frog tank? It is a custom hand blown pyrex tank from High Desert Vapes.

BB-frogHighDesert.jpg HighDesert3.jpg

Last edited:

Fenris4024

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Lubbock, TX

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Oh, its not a Phin? How much did something like that run you, if you don't mind my asking? I'm a penguin nut, and would LOVE to get a custom penguin tank...
Here's the link for the custom tanks. Some are already made for purchase, or there's a selection among the tanks for sale to create your own tank design. Prices run $40 - $60. His custom tanks look better than the ones already made IMO.

Designer Pyrex Tanks

vang0gh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Plainfield, IL, USA
What kind of juice are you using, and what kind of cartos? if its a thick, dark, or sweet juice, It'll clog a carto pretty fast... I have a DIY sweet caramel I use a lot, that if I run the flavor solo in the carto, I get 15mls before it gunks it to death... if I add in some green apple (which is a clear liquid), I can almost always get 30mls or so outta the mix. (And c'mon, who DOESN'T like a caramel apple?)

I run almost specifically boge (single coil... I don't think they even make a dual coil opthion) XL cartos, varying from 2.0-3.0 ohms, two punches (either my own, or pre punched with a 50/50 blend of PG/ VG. I've never had one problem save for when I was in a hurry, thought "Oh hey, I primed it enough...." fired it off at 7watts and got the absolute foulest taste ever. I did that one time, and that was enough of a learning experience for me... now I just listen to the masters of Tank-fu.

((I'm still trying to snatch a carto from Bad's palm, to no success. ))

Sorry, I missed your post. Halo's Tribeca with a two-hole, Smok prepunched carto is my typical setup. I've started doing a better job of initially priming the cartos and topping them off on refill and it seems to have helped with longevity. I do have some Boge cartos. Personally, I'm not a fan of the denser filler or the tighter draw they have. With the rave reviews, I do plan on trying some IKenvape cartos if I can ever catch them in stock.

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
Thank you for this thread!!!!! It helped me tremendously. I REALLY love me carto tanks...better than anything else...and I have almost all of them. ProTank, Kamry X6, DBox Puri, Tatroe, etc etc. I just find all of them too airy and oddly enough...for me they mute and mask the flavor and throat hit. Anyway....thanks again for all the work that went into that tip sheet. Because the only reason I bought all those other tanks is I was having so much trouble with leaking cartos. NOW I know what I have been doing wrong and what to realistically expect.

BELLA TANKS JUST WENT ON SALE AN HOUR AGO!!!! I was lucky and got the one I wanted but they are going fast! good luck....whoever you are...I hope you get one too. :)

http://www................../Evolution-Tanks_c_22.html

oh...I have one of those Designer Tanks from High Desert Vapes. I'll get a picture of it shortly. But yes...they are wonderful!!! And High Desert was great to work with. When I got my tank it was a little "off"...the bottom hole was too big and it would slide right off the carto. I sent it back and they FIXED IT! That glass guy is really good. I had it back in less than 2 weeks and I use it every day.

Last edited:

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
Okay here it is...along with a couple others people might be interested in.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
A is the Designer Pyrex Tank from High Desert

B AGR Carto Tank system. I got mine from GotVapes but lots of people sell them so buy from your favorite vendor. I include this link only because it's the best description of the product I have seen, AGR Carto Stainless Tank v2 with Locking Base [gv-AGRCartoTank-Stainless] - $14.95 : GotVapes.com, E-cigarette Supplies - Atomizers Cartomizers Mods Juice and more

C & D are both from a company called theecig.com I used the ego just so you could see a size relevence. (The angled drip tip connector is NOT part of the tank ..I can't remember where I got that thing, sorry) I wish they had those little ones in colors but they only have clear. The big one holds a full 3ml of juice and a 35mm carto. The slim also uses a 35mm carto. That glass is THICK...very heavy duty and the caps fit perfectly. I have never had one leak and I use them all the time. They come with chrome or derlin caps, your choice. You even get a carto and a juice sample with them. :)

oh....the bunny. Yes...the bunny drip tip..LOL She is soft rubber and has no taste or smell that I could detect. I bought a bunch to give to friends...they are $4 at akavapers.com Cute as hell....but not nearly as nice as that black frog!!! wow...thanks for that link!

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
I have Bellas, IBTanked, Phiniac,LokiLabs SS1, Fluid Flask,and a Pyrex one from Valley View Vapes on the way.

I am not a fan of the Bellas, and they are put away for now. First, they are plastic, not Pyrex. I vape many known crack-tanking juices, so plastic is not such a good choice for me. My other issue with Bellas is the design. I tend to chain vape. The topcap of the Bella is one-piece design. Unlike my other carto tanks, the carto does not actually attach to the drip tip. This causes me to have leaking issues.

Fluid Flask and Loki Labs SS1 are similar in design, but the carto is more secure and does not leak for me, even when I chain vape.

I have not used any of the newer clearos, such as ProTank or evods, so I really cannot comment on those. But I have used some of the older versions, and was not a fan. Again, leaking issues and shorter life span.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread