Not open for further replies.

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
What mix juice are you using?

Unless its high VG, start by flipping over the silicone cup on the head stem so the concave side is up. This may help if there are flow issues to the head.

If that doesnt help with the dry hits or its high VG, you need to move on to the standard "remove 1 flavor wick" method and try that.

After that you shouldnt get dry hits, if you do (highly unlikely) remove both flavor wicks (likely will go to the other extreme and cause gurgling).

Daryl Glen

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2013
Titusville, FL, USA
www.youtube.com
Yeah it happens all the time.. after a fill, during a tank.. took the same coil and base on to a pt1 and had no problems. I'm totally perplexed.

I have recently gotten an Aro (kinda like the evod), and I am amazed! I know you want the PTII to work, because you paid for it, but if you get completely frustrated, the Aro is only $6 or so, and it is AMAZING!!

Leothwyn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2011
N. California
www.ci-studios.com
If that doesnt help with the dry hits or its high VG, you need to move on to the standard "remove 1 flavor wick" method and try that.

I had read about this when I got my first evod. Tried it out of curiosity (even though my evod was working fine) and it flooded. For some reason my PT2 minis get dry hits sometimes. Tried the single flavor wick thing again, and it seems to work perfectly. Not sure what the difference is between evods and PT2, but it seems to work for me to have 2 flavor wick in evods and 1 in PT2s.

Christopherja

ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2013
Nottingham
Trying out the pt2 and cant seem to get a good vape from it. Tried several juices, several different coils, played with wattages, all to no avail. Can't seem to get away from the dry hits with this thing.. Anyone else noticing that, or know why that is?

Adding a flavour wick seems to do the trick for most. It's easy peasy - why not start there?

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
One person ask for help with (X) and another always shows up saying Just buy a (Y), I did. That is not assistance, it is pushing preference.

Kanger ProTank2 Can't be a Dud, unless the Tube is blocked. Everything is serviceable.

There is no need to Let tanks set for any specific time, or to do any Shaking and looking for bubbles.
Priming a wick is actually simple and Quick(Much the same as priming a carto or a mini cart).
Before attaching to your preferred power source, Hold the tank between your thumb and forefinger with connector toward Palm.
Close your hand into a fist to stop air flow around base and take a few draws. You should see bubbles rise into the tank. This air is replacing e-liquid going to the wicks.
Remember, New wicks are slow to saturate, easy on the heat(power) until you have gone through that first 1/2 tank or more.
Changing heads simply starts the break-in process all over.

If for any reason you feel the need to remove a Flavor wick - KEEP IT - just in case you find you were wrong.
At any time, should you receive a dry hit, a few power off pulls will help to re saturate the wicks.
The trick is to keep fluid flowing to the wicks regardless of their ability to absorb. as they are worked they start to loosen(spread strands) and more easily hold e-liquid.

A good example is a Sponge. Take a Brand new sponge and plunge it into a pot of water. Remove immediately and you will see it is almost completely dry.
Wicking is not instantaneous. First saturation must occur.

Codz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2013
Lancashire
One person ask for help with (X) and another always shows up saying Just buy a (Y), I did. That is not assistance, it is pushing preference.

Kanger ProTank2 Can't be a Dud, unless the Tube is blocked. Everything is serviceable.

There is no need to Let tanks set for any specific time, or to do any Shaking and looking for bubbles.
Priming a wick is actually simple and Quick(Much the same as priming a carto or a mini cart).
Before attaching to your preferred power source, Hold the tank between your thumb and forefinger with connector toward Palm.
Close your hand into a fist to stop air flow around base and take a few draws. You should see bubbles rise into the tank. This air is replacing e-liquid going to the wicks.
Remember, New wicks are slow to saturate, easy on the heat(power) until you have gone through that first 1/2 tank or more.
Changing heads simply starts the break-in process all over.

If for any reason you feel the need to remove a Flavor wick - KEEP IT - just in case you find you were wrong.
At any time, should you receive a dry hit, a few power off pulls will help to re saturate the wicks.
The trick is to keep fluid flowing to the wicks regardless of their ability to absorb. as they are worked they start to loosen(spread strands) and more easily hold e-liquid.

A good example is a Sponge. Take a Brand new sponge and plunge it into a pot of water. Remove immediately and you will see it is almost completely dry.
Wicking is not instantaneous. First saturation must occur.

I've done pretty much the above with an older version of the protank which worked great :)

I think the PT2 is a lot better than the original - only problem i have with mine is that it starts gurgling a bit as it gets near the end of the liquid. Not a big issue though, just need to top up the juice before it reaches the stage where the gurgling starts.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
The dry hits are caused by the inability of the wicking system to deliver liquid to the coil as fast as you're trying to vaporize it. You might want to slow down a little bit. After taking several non-dry hits, try a few power off draws and set it down for a minute or two. Then try again. If it's not dry-hitting, a power off draw or two again.

If the problem persists, consider replacing the flavor wicks with an equal or larger amount of cotton from a 100% sterile cotton ball or cotton cheesecloth. Peaches yarn from Walmart works, too. Just don't dry burn with cotton in place.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
A little understood info about gurgling and topping up.

While I rarely get any type of gurgling, I can understand it happening to some over time.
Condensation can and does build up in the tube.
This starts to restrict air flow.
Restricted air flow reduces draw and leaves even more condensation in the tube.
Eventually these condensation droplets pool and slide down the tube. Now you have a Gurgle and a small puddle of liquid. Not much of that is actually e-liquid, it is mostly water with some flavoring mixed in.

So, why does topping help?
Some believe it is because the tank needs air back inside.........Umm, nope. Lack of Air would help prevent excess flow of liquid.
While Topping, The Base/coil is off.
Mose people wipe off the spillage/goop/excess that runs off the coil/base while re-filling. Remember where the accumulated condensation goes?(DOWN)
Occasionally while re-filling, the Tank is sitting on the mouth piece. It is not uncommon to have a small liquid puddle where it was sitting and that gets wiped up to.(More condensation)
Hers is where a Q-tip should be used to dry the inside of the mouth piece before turning upright.

Breathing through your power release, continuing the draw for 1/2 second can reduce condensation by more than 50% possible higher.
This will significantly reduce build up in the tube over time.

Think about it:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread