Status
Not open for further replies.

juskiddin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2015
Canada
Hi all,

I've had 2 ego ones since I started vaping about 5 months ago. Approx. 6 wks ago I was given 2 Protank 2 tanks and have been using them ever since. I just didn't like the ego one tanks so was happy to try something else on my ego one batteries.

I changed the coil today on one of the tanks and after about 6 hits off it I got a bad burnt taste. As always, I primed the coil and waited about 15 mins. Hmm..decided to try a different (new) coil from a different box. Primed it and this time waited half an hour. After about 6 hits, same thing - burnt! Whaaaaaat?

If I take a shorter pull it's not as bad but hey, I'd like some vapor so I pull a little longer and *blam*..burnt.

The Protank 2's fit fine on the ego ones; not perfect mind you, there's the slightest gap between the tank and the battery.

Any ideas floating around out there?

Many thanks!
Cheers.

SpaceApe

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Just a curious question... What is the resistance of the coils your using? Your device is not variable voltage, and operates between 3.2 volts to 3.8 volts depending on the remaining charge left in the battery. I found this information on the manufacturers website.

Reactions: juskiddin

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hi all,

I've had 2 ego ones since I started vaping about 5 months ago. Approx. 6 wks ago I was given 2 Protank 2 tanks and have been using them ever since. I just didn't like the ego one tanks so was happy to try something else on my ego one batteries.

I changed the coil today on one of the tanks and after about 6 hits off it I got a bad burnt taste. As always, I primed the coil and waited about 15 mins. Hmm..decided to try a different (new) coil from a different box. Primed it and this time waited half an hour. After about 6 hits, same thing - burnt! Whaaaaaat?

If I take a shorter pull it's not as bad but hey, I'd like some vapor so I pull a little longer and *blam*..burnt.

The Protank 2's fit fine on the ego ones; not perfect mind you, there's the slightest gap between the tank and the battery.

Any ideas floating around out there?

Many thanks!
Cheers.

Problem is you don't know which coils you are using;
different protank coils (different ohms and/or different wire size) will work best at different voltages.

Also there is always the matter of quality control and dud coils.

Best to have mod with a screen that tells you information like ohms, and allows for you to adjust voltage up or down.

Reactions: juskiddin

juskiddin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2015
Canada
@SpaceApe and @edyle

Thanks for your replies. I've been using the PT2 2.2ohm replacement coils which worked great until I hit a snag...burnt coils. No idea why. I decided to try a 2.5ohm replacement coil which I'd forgotten I had. Since then all is well again. Which leads me to believe the coils I had were less than perfect.

I also googled "burnt pt2 coils" and one suggestion was to take off the rubber ring from the coil (closest to the wick) and flip it upside down then put it on that way. The idea being some of the rings are too close to the wicks...partially covering them. I was desperate (couldn't get to the local B&M) so I tried it. That worked! I wouldn't want to do this all the time but it did work and prevented me from yanking out my hair :)

I'm currently looking into getting a Coolfire IV which Andria kindly suggested.

Thanks for your responses. Much appreciated!

Cheers
JK

Reactions: edyle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread