Protank rebuild and leaking/flooding

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigLebowski

ECF Veteran
May 17, 2013
Clearfield, UT
I've used 1.5mm and 1mm ekowool in the Protank and have had little leaking, now I only use cotton/microcoils and I am able to almost vape the tank dry without any issues. The problem I find with BCC's is that when I walk around in the heat with my PV in my pocket it will always leak, heat always causes problems with tanks.

Sd13

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
NJ
I've used 1.5mm and 1mm ekowool in the Protank and have had little leaking, now I only use cotton/microcoils and I am able to almost vape the tank dry without any issues. The problem I find with BCC's is that when I walk around in the heat with my PV in my pocket it will always leak, heat always causes problems with tanks.

Do you think cotton is a better alternative to silica when it comes to leaking and using no flavor wicks? I hate using flavor wicks of any kind because they give me a muted flavor.

grob1963

Sep 8, 2013
North Carolina
I use mostly micro coils with only cotton wick and a very tiny piece of cotton flavor wick I leave the wicks a touch long and sort of tuck them into the cup, it took me a couple of tries before I got it right but now I rarely have any flooding issues and the taste is great. I wet the wicks with juice before I instal it into the tank then give a couple primer puffs and I'm of and running

Sd13

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
NJ
Use the Kanger wicks and leave it alone. It wont leak on you anymore.

I rebuild with cotton and just when i thought i was set with awesome flavor, major leaking crept back. I can't win with these things. Either I get leaking, or dry muted flavor. There is no in between.

Last edited:

HoracePinker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2013
Glendale, AZ
i rebuild my protanks with either 28g micro coils and cotton.. very thin flavor wick, or 32g normal coils with 2mm ekowool and no flavor wicks.. i guess i have been extremely lucky; no muted flavors.. and no leaking at all..

btw.. mesh in a protank: Rebuilding A Kanger Protank Using SS Mesh - YouTube

I tried SS mesh (300) in a Protank 2, and I have to say it vapes very well (doubled-twisted 34ga kanthal in a 5 wraps microcoil at 1.8 ohms).
The flavour is nice and less flooding than cotton. However, I favour the cotton wick for flavour, but it gives me leaking. I tried just now to do a very dense cotton wick instead of a soft one, and indeed, no flooding, but dry hits. I think the key is to get the cotton wick just dense enough, but not too dense, to avoid the leaking. I'll experiment until I get it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread