The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Protank rebuild and leaking/flooding

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Sd13, Sep 24, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Sd13

Sd13 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 24, 2013
    NJ
    I finally managed to create an awesome vape using 3mm silica with no flavor wicks. Even a tiny strand of flavor wick gives me muted flavor. Will 3mm and no top wick be sufficient enough to prevent leaking and flooding? These issues usually appear randomly after a period of time elapsed and thats why i'm asking.

2. BigLebowski

BigLebowski Super Member ECF Veteran

May 17, 2013
    Clearfield, UT
    I've used 1.5mm and 1mm ekowool in the Protank and have had little leaking, now I only use cotton/microcoils and I am able to almost vape the tank dry without any issues. The problem I find with BCC's is that when I walk around in the heat with my PV in my pocket it will always leak, heat always causes problems with tanks.

3. Sd13

Jun 24, 2013
    NJ
    Do you think cotton is a better alternative to silica when it comes to leaking and using no flavor wicks? I hate using flavor wicks of any kind because they give me a muted flavor.

4. chrisss

chrisss Full Member

Sep 23, 2013
    London, United Kingdom
    I use 2mm silica and 3 strands of flavor wick. I get good flavor and no leaking.

5. Spazzer

Spazzer Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 27, 2013
    Upstate NY
    I use Evods and Protanks with micro coils and cotton wicks and flavor wicks. I don't find the flavor is muted.

Spazzer

6. grob1963

grob1963 Full Member

Sep 8, 2013
    North Carolina
    I use mostly micro coils with only cotton wick and a very tiny piece of cotton flavor wick I leave the wicks a touch long and sort of tuck them into the cup, it took me a couple of tries before I got it right but now I rarely have any flooding issues and the taste is great. I wet the wicks with juice before I instal it into the tank then give a couple primer puffs and I'm of and running

7. LeftHandBlack

LeftHandBlack Super Member ECF Veteran

Sep 17, 2013
    Brighton Co
    Use the Kanger wicks and leave it alone. It wont leak on you anymore.

8. Sd13

Jun 24, 2013
    NJ
    I rebuild with cotton and just when i thought i was set with awesome flavor, major leaking crept back. I can't win with these things. Either I get leaking, or dry muted flavor. There is no in between.

9. Ahagin107

Ahagin107 Full Member Verified Member

Sep 7, 2013
    Denver, CO, USA
    Anyone try as mesh in a pt?

10. since96

since96 Full Member Verified Member

Sep 25, 2013
    USA
    The protanks usually needs the wicks in place or they will tend to leak

11. HoracePinker

HoracePinker Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Glendale, AZ
    i rebuild my protanks with either 28g micro coils and cotton.. very thin flavor wick, or 32g normal coils with 2mm ekowool and no flavor wicks.. i guess i have been extremely lucky; no muted flavors.. and no leaking at all..

btw.. mesh in a protank: Rebuilding A Kanger Protank Using SS Mesh - YouTube

12. madqatter

madqatter Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 14, 2013
    Virginia
  13. maabaa

maabaa Full Member

I tried SS mesh (300) in a Protank 2, and I have to say it vapes very well (doubled-twisted 34ga kanthal in a 5 wraps microcoil at 1.8 ohms).
    The flavour is nice and less flooding than cotton. However, I favour the cotton wick for flavour, but it gives me leaking. I tried just now to do a very dense cotton wick instead of a soft one, and indeed, no flooding, but dry hits. I think the key is to get the cotton wick just dense enough, but not too dense, to avoid the leaking. I'll experiment until I get it right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.