Protect your privacy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphafemale

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2009
Marshall, Michigan
SikVapor-go to your information and then copy the URL. Go to the spokeo home page, at the bottom in fine print (of course) find HELP, it's a frequently asked questions type thingy and there is a link there. It will want you to paste the URL, enter your e-mail addy and a provided code. They send you an e-mail with a link to click on to be removed.

Wonderful-I read somewhere on there that they get the info from various sources such as surveys etc. They do tell you that removing your info only affect their site and not the places that they got your info from.

I have decided to not fill out anymore surveys!

whimzkool

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2009
DFW
yup, they got me, and my.... 21 y/o cat! LOL! I think my son filled out a survey in my cat's name so I could track who is selling our name and the junk mail. My cat is pre-approved for multiple cc's. This stuff is irritating as I am a very private person (no, really, just a fugitive... don't tell). Apparently I live in a below average neighborhood in a home worth $1M. I'm a sagittarius and like long walks on the beach...

Last edited:

optsmk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Pleasanton, Ca.
It's just public information that they are putting out there. Since the Internet, this kind of info is a lot easier to obtain if you are willing to pay some website for it. When I was a kid, the only way you could get this information was from going to the courthouse and asking for it.
The information is totally incorrect. I looked up my name and i am listed as being married to my sister on one house. I am single on the house that i owned with my ex wife, and I am not even on the site with the properties that i do own. So I'm sure if someone actually paid them money to get information on me, it would be totally incorrect.

miss MiA

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
but my dad will have a fit when I show him, he's paranoid anyway.

...ooooh I heard THAT! I removed my dad's (and mine, and my whole family's), but will never breathe a peep of it to him! With the exception of offhandedly advising him not to be so 'helpful' about participating in surveys! ;) He's an 80-something, can't (CAN'T) accept that he has little to no control over this kind of cyber age crap.

And crap it was -- SUCH inaccurate junk on all of us, what a joke.

Mosin

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Highland, CA
OMG I have kids!! 8-o And apparently I am apolitical! :w00t: I never knew either of these things until I visited Spokeo. Fascinating, those zany Intertubes.

Feel free to call me Pops, Dad, Daddy, or Father from now on. And I always thought having kids would be a huge expense and chore. Now I can testify that the entire process is painless and expenseless... you won't even know you have 'em!

miss MiA

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
OMG I have kids!! 8-o And apparently I am apolitical! :w00t: I never knew either of these things until I visited Spokeo. Fascinating, those zany Intertubes.

Feel free to call me Pops, Dad, Daddy, or Father from now on. And I always thought having kids would be a huge expense and chore. Now I can testify that the entire process is painless and expenseless... you won't even know you have 'em!

(Funniest post of the day award! :D:lol::D:lol:)

Edit to add value: For stuff like this (the spokeo removal) and any one-time or sketchy need to provide an email addy, I use the email-addy masking/forwarding service: sneakemail.com

Generates 'disposable' email addies, can delete 'em if they start getting spammed (and tag each one you create so you'd know who sold you out). There are also ways to initiate and reply to emails with it while still masking your real addy.

There used to also be a free membership but given that, few were signing up for the paid one lol (only $24/yr, or $2 billed monthly if preferred), so now there's only the paid membership. (One-month free trial available.) SO worth it tho, have used it for years and use it tons. There may still be other similar services, some may still be free, but sneakemail is the most reliable and established afaik. (And now that it's not free anymore, fewer spammers themselves will try to use it!)

Last edited:

Onceupon

Mar 16, 2010
Bolton, England
I searched these forums the other day for carrying cases, including diabetic supplies case. Shortly afterwards, I received an e-mail from Reader's Digest:

'Our records show that you purchased a book from Reader's Digest called Stopping Diabetes In It's Tracks and we are interested in your opinions. Please take a few minutes to complete our survey...'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread