Protege: Battery Lifespan Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdd121s

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2009
US Central Standard Time
The Idea:

Like many others I have been fiddling with ideas as to how my New Protege will perform. One of the performance questions that crossed my mind was: How long will the battery last? After some farting around on the inter-web for a bit research, I think I may have come up with an idea as to how to approximate how long the Protege battery will last.

Variables:

1. Battery: 14500 3.7v 900mAh Li ion Battery
2. Average Draw Length: 5 sec (adjust to you habits)
3. Average Analog Cigarette's Number of Draws: 15 Draws (on the high end)
4. Number of Analog Cigarettes Per Pack: 20 Cigarettes
5. Number of Packs YOU Smoke/ Smoked A Day: 1 Pack (for me)

Battery Charge Basics:

Information Gleaned From Wikipedia:

An ampere-hour or amp-hour (symbol Ah , A·h, A h) is a unit of electric charge, with sub-units milliampere-hour (mAh) and milliampere second (mAs). One ampere-hour is equal to 3,600 coulombs (ampere-seconds), the electric charge transferred by a steady current of one ampere for one hour.[1]

The ampere-hour is frequently used in measurements of electrochemical systems such as electroplating and electrical batteries.

The commonly seen milliampere-hour (mAh or mA·h) is one-thousandth of an ampere-hour (i.e., 3.6 coulombs), and is a technical term for how much electrical charge a particular battery will hold. Small batteries, such as those in laptops and digital cameras, are often rated in milliampere-hours. As an example, digital camera batteries with higher mAh values theoretically last longer without requiring a recharge, allowing one to take more photographs before having to replace the batteries.

Calculation:

1. Protege Battery = 900mAh or 900 thousandths of an ampere-hour.

2. 1000mAh = 1 hr of steady current

3. 900 ÷ 1000 = 0.9%

4. 1hr = 60 min

5. 0.9 x 60 min = 54 min

6. So, 900mAh = 54 min of steady current

7. Average Draw (assuming) = 5 sec

8. 1 min = 60 sec

9. 54 min x 60 = 3240 sec

10. 3240 sec ÷ 5 = 648 Draws

11. Average Analog Cigarette's Number of Draws = 15 Draws (on the high
end)

12. 648 Draws ÷ 15 = 43.2 Analog Cigarettes

13. Number of Analog Cigarettes Per Pack = 20 Cigarettes

14. 43.2 Analog Cigarettes ÷ 20 = 2.16 Packs of Analog Cigarettes

15. Number of Packs YOU Smoke/ Smoked a Day = 1 (for me)

16. 2.16 Packs of Analog Cigarettes ÷ 1 = 2.16 Days of Regular Smoking

Conclusion:

If we lived in a perfect world, with no other variables present, 1 x Protege battery should last a 1 x Pack per day smoker 2.16 days. More realistically, with many variables tossed in (including hardware & operator issues), 1 x Protege battery should have no problem lasting whole day of vaping.

I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on this idea of mine, especially Steve & Casey's (as they have tested the Protege). Thanks for reading and I look forward to any thoughts / comments / replies.

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
I get about 5-6 hours per battery ... Fresh one in the morning ... lasts until 4-5pm. Switch it out before its even dead ... Fresh one ... until 9-10pm when I am in the midst of my baseball games .... pop open beer + fresh battery (again, before its dead) then pop in new fresh one for the remaining 2-3 hours I'm awake

No problem getting through the day (HEAVY vaping) on 2 batteries ... I just prefer 3 rotations :)

Mr-Glass

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2009
St. Louis Missouri
Thanks Steve,

If you don't mind, I have 2 more questions.

1. Can you charge one battery at a time?

2. Will the charger that comes in the kit charge protected batteries as well?

NeverGonna,

I have the charger that comes with the full setup and in answer to question 1 - yes

For question 2 - Im not sure I have any unprotected batteries for my PVs except for the CR2's for the 6V option in the Super T - and those just wont fit in this charger.. I do charge my normal Prodigy batteries in this charger as I will for the Protege - I also charge my 3.7 Super T batteries (16340) - So I really love the charger.. hope this helps..

kdd121s

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2009
US Central Standard Time
I came up with the math conversion as a way to give vapors a guided way of roughly approximate how many batteries they might need to keep on them while they are out and about. Although, I operate under the mantra of "More is Better". I purchased 16 x 14500 protected batteries in addition to the ones that will come with my kit. Although I won't be hauling all of them around on a daily basis. IMO you can never have too many batteries, especially if heaven forbid there was a power outage. I also thought that this math might serve as a handy tool for people who are trying to compare different battery lifespans. Hope it was interesting if not useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread