Protege end cap issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

lotus14

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
Columbia SC
Mine screws on ok with a little patience, but the threads ARE rough. Just sliding my finger around them tells me that's why it's difficult to screw on.

I clean all the threads everywhere on the Protege with a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol. This works great until it get to the end cap. The threads there shred the q-tip. 8-o

Dorian_Gray

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2009
Stepford, Fla
I find the key is not to push down to hard---easy does it. If you push down to hard, the threads will not catch. If you push gently and level while turning, the threads will line up and catch like butter.

Sun

Thanks Sun. Been there, tried that. Under magnification, it looks like there has been no catch thread cut. (last thread has a chamfer). Don't know if I got a weird one or the machine shop forgot the last step.

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
lol ... Of course I remember you Al ...

Us Chatsworth folk had to stick together in the beginning!!!! LOL

Shoot me the tube with switch (might as well check that at while I check out your tube and end cap) Will replace what needs to be taken care of and get her right back on her way !!!!

Shipping Address:
Pure Enterprises, Inc.
PO BOX 1200
Hendersonville, TN 37075

I must admit Al ... I don't really miss Chatsworth. I do miss Chipotle ... The Chicken Cafe ... The Bear Pit .... Benihanas Ginger Sauce ... (weird how the only thing I miss is food) Hope all is well!!!

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
I have noticed that the end cap is more difficult to start the threads. It isn't over bearing but it's not something you can do while driving lol. Steve the one issue to look at for future production is the threads are very rough cut. It would help if the threads were chased out a little smother. The roughness is very noticeable if you try to clean the threads with a cloth or paper towel. You get minute pieces scraped off and lodged into the threads. These small bits of cloth then have to be removed or they act as an insulator.

I expected them to be slightly hard to screw together because I am using protected bats. This isn't really a big problem as with use the threads will get smoother. Just one item you might address in future releases.

Kevin

geeker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 12, 2009
Neither here nor there
Hi Steve,

Once again you prove your sevice is legendary! Thanks for getting back to me so rapidly!

The problems are:

1. It is very hard to catch the first thread even when reversing to do so.
2. AFTER it catches and begins to turn, it has a tendency to cross thread.
3. It occasionally binds.

This is exactly my experience.
It does not render the unit unusable, but is is annoying.
I thought it was just me.
Glad to know I am not a lone freak.

them0nk

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2009
San Bernardino, CA
Upon inspecting the threads of my protege (because i have noticed a bit of difficulty on battery switches)... here is my 2 cents take it for what it's worth.

The ID thread on the tube is Really Really shallow. But there is a nice chamfer on the id of the tube that helps threading. The Cap's OD thread has no lead chamfer (Really crucial in threads) but has a full set of threads.

To change this would create All kinds of problems for puresmoker, and would probably not happen... the threads would cut through the current size tube, increasing the tube wall would increase the price... all kinds of bad demons would just pop out for PS.

But, because I'm just about dead set on using protected batteries, I plan on actually remaking the tube and end cap at my friends shop once I can source out the right walled tube in SS. Which wont be cheap, and I'm sure the thickness of the protege's stock tube reflects this. I plan to get something thicker walled and a bit larger on the OD but still small enough to bore the Correct ID for the switch housing, then turning the OD and threading for the adapter. Lastly boring the other side to a slightly larger ID so the protected battery will have room, yes bore right up to and create a shoulder where the switch housing would end which i assume is slightly smaller than the diameter needed for the protected battery. lastly i would have to thread the end (this is where the thicker walled tubing is crucial) so that there is a FULL /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ thread there with a nice lead-in chamfer (the lead-in chamfer is supposed to be cut deeper than the threads). then create a new end cap with matching threads and bore the hole for the spring.

Hopefully i could end up with a protege that the OD of the tube would be the same as the OD of the adapter. I'm sure I'll run into problems on how to make it flow like where the adapter hits against the switch housing.

on a good note wow 510 attys work nice on the protege.

if anyone beats me to the punch on making they're own improved protege tube i'd love some pictures and/or thoughts.

PS. MMMMM Chipotle just had that the other day... the barbacoa, black beans, rice, scoop of pico de galo, scoop of the HOT sauce, extra corn, and some lettuce in a burrito bowl.....

(just had to rub it in haha)

Last edited:

Dorian_Gray

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2009
Stepford, Fla
I have noticed that the end cap is more difficult to start the threads. It isn't over bearing but it's not something you can do while driving lol. Steve the one issue to look at for future production is the threads are very rough cut. It would help if the threads were chased out a little smother. The roughness is very noticeable if you try to clean the threads with a cloth or paper towel. You get minute pieces scraped off and lodged into the threads. These small bits of cloth then have to be removed or they act as an insulator.

I expected them to be slightly hard to screw together because I am using protected bats. This isn't really a big problem as with use the threads will get smoother. Just one item you might address in future releases.

Kevin

Hey Kevin,

I have tried anti-oxidant conductive joint compound which makes it easier but still not great

Gibby

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Fairfax, VA
lol ... Of course I remember you Al ...

Us Chatsworth folk had to stick together in the beginning!!!! LOL

Shoot me the tube with switch (might as well check that at while I check out your tube and end cap) Will replace what needs to be taken care of and get her right back on her way !!!!

Shipping Address:
Pure Enterprises, Inc.
PO BOX 1200
Hendersonville, TN 37075

I must admit Al ... I don't really miss Chatsworth. I do miss Chipotle ... The Chicken Cafe ... The Bear Pit .... Benihanas Ginger Sauce ... (weird how the only thing I miss is food) Hope all is well!!!
Holy crap, Chipotle is awesome, i am glad they got one like 20 yards from work. It is the debil however, but still awesome!!!

Gibby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread